SASS Wire Forum

A Different Josie Wales

Some clubs occasionally offer an "unofficial" Josie Wales category.   As I understand it, you swap out the rifle for 2 more pistols, and possibly the shotgun as well.   Never shot it myself, but it sounds like fun.

With tongue firmly in cheek, I propose a "sub category" to Josie Wales called, "A Different Josie Wales."  Assuming that you need 5 pistols, the sub category is pretty simple.  No 2 of the pistols can be the same.  Note:  A Nickel Colt with a seven and a half in barrel is not the "same" as a blued on with a four and three quarter inch one.  But I am sure that it would be more fun to mix it all up as much as possible.

Now that you have finished chuckling or rolling your eyes or pondering what I am pondering, I am more seriously wondering, for those who DO shoot Josie Wales, do you usually match all your pistols?

I'm not clear what you intend to do with 5th pistol, shoot the shotgun targets?

I shot Josey Wales last fall and it was a blast!  I shot a pair of Cattleman 45s for pistol,  Smoke Wagons in 44WCF for rifle. But shot shotgun with shotgun. 

5 pistol would be preferable but not all clubs that I frequent will let you shoot the SG knockdowns with a pistol. They’ll let WB do it with 1911s but for some reason won’t let cowboys do it. I use Ruger Old Armies.

22 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

5 pistol would be preferable but not all clubs that I frequent will let you shoot the SG knockdowns with a pistol. They’ll let WB do it with 1911s but for some reason won’t let cowboys do it. I use Ruger Old Armies.

I did some work with using SG targets as pistol knockdowns and had too much splatter coming back and too much damage to the target frame by misses with heavy loads.  I have other pistol/rifle knock down targets used for IDPA and 3 gun that work much better if shot with a SG.

When I shoot Josey Wales, it’s usually with some combination of a 7.5” barrel colt, schofield, or open top for the rifle targets. Then my main match colts, which aren’t complete matches either. One is blue and one is nickel. Come to think of it, I don’t actually have any matches pistols. 

Josey Wales 

we use 5 handguns 

Any combination of calibers and types ( plow handles,, birds head ,,bisley )

Also shotgun targets only have to be hit ,instead of knocked down. This way the shooter can use lite loads for shotgun targets.

Josey Wales Frontersman  shot with cap and ball revolvers

Always safety first ,then as much fun as you can stand

Not looking to make this a new shooting  catagory 

I always ask the Match Director if they allow Josey Wales and what restrictions are to be followed

thanks  Catlow

About 4 years ago, I had surgery on my right shoulder (I’m right handed) and couldn’t use my right arm well for about 3 months.  The match directors in my area (central Florida) allowed me to shoot “left handed duelist category” for that time.  Wasn’t very fast, but I had fun!

I guess we should hang called the category “Josey Wales Cripple” category.

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

About 4 years ago, I had surgery on my right shoulder (I’m right handed) and couldn’t use my right arm well for about 3 months.  The match directors in my area (central Florida) allowed me to shoot “left handed duelist category” for that time.  Wasn’t very fast, but I had fun!

I guess we should hang called the category “Josey Wales Cripple” category.

Shooters with shoulder and other handicaps can still come out and enjoy our sport . 

Catlow

Around my neck of the woods (pretty much same as Catlow) Josey Wales is shot with 5 Handguns.  Since Josey Wales is NOT a recognized SASS category modifying the basic rules (ain't no rules) from 5 handguns to "all different" and "Run whatcha Brung" shouldn't be too much of a stretch.  Just remember, Josey didn't use a Shotgun.  At all.

PLUS ONE to Carlow (1st Post)

I'm thinking of bringing up another variation with our match directors. 

Shoot 4 handguns and then for the shotgun count,   have a big rifle proof target set out at at least 50 yards (if space is available)  then shoot required number of shotgun rounds with simgle shot buffalo rifle.  It would take more target setup but would be fun. 

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Some clubs occasionally offer an "unofficial" Josie Wales category.   As I understand it, you swap out the rifle for 2 more pistols, and possibly the shotgun as well.   Never shot it myself, but it sounds like fun.

With tongue firmly in cheek, I propose a "sub category" to Josie Wales called, "A Different Josie Wales."  Assuming that you need 5 pistols, the sub category is pretty simple.  No 2 of the pistols can be the same.  Note:  A Nickel Colt with a seven and a half in barrel is not the "same" as a blued on with a four and three quarter inch one.  But I am sure that it would be more fun to mix it all up as much as possible.

Now that you have finished chuckling or rolling your eyes or pondering what I am pondering, I am more seriously wondering, for those who DO shoot Josie Wales, do you usually match all your pistols?

Since cowboys tend to buy pistols in pairs that would mean 10 pistols, 5 different pairs.  I love the idea of a JW category, but I don't like the idea of staging them.  JW didn't do that.  My idea would be four pistols holstered one staged to replace the shotgun.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Since cowboys tend to buy pistols in pairs that would mean 10 pistols, 5 different pairs.  I love the idea of a JW category, but I don't like the idea of staging them.  JW didn't do that.  My idea would be four pistols holstered one staged to replace the shotgun.

JW shot cap and ball revolvers 

In the movie JW wasn't worried about breaking 170 degrees either and his guns didn't have balls in them.

I have a double shoulder holster rig . It looks good but to draw safely is almost impossible .

10pistols 5 different pairs is that all you got?

Match Directors that aren't flexible will say No to JW style shooting .

You all should see Colorado Coffinmaker shoot his snubbie cap and ball pistols as a Gunfighter . Lots of Smoke and Flame

and lots of hits also.  The Smile on his face as he walks off a stage is Priceless .

Catlow

10 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

JW shot cap and ball revolvers 

In the movie JW wasn't worried about breaking 170 degrees either and his guns didn't have balls in them.

I have a double shoulder holster rig . It looks good but to draw safely is almost impossible .

10pistols 5 different pairs is that all you got?

Match Directors that aren't flexible will say No to JW style shooting .

You all should see Colorado Coffinmaker shoot his snubbie cap and ball pistols as a Gunfighter . Lots of Smoke and Flame

and lots of hits also.  The Smile on his face as he walks off a stage is Priceless .

Catlow

LOL, in this family we are revolver poor, having only 4 pairs of cowboy revolvers, and they're not all different.  One is a pair of Vaqueros, two pairs of Single Sixes and a pair of Uberti Lightnings.

I've experimented with double strong side and double cross draw and it's a bit crowded, but if you twist you can get all four out without breaking the 170.

I'm not interested in packing 5 pistols.  I carry enough weight the way it is. I just staged my "rifle" pistols like I would my rifle. But I find it clumsy to pick up two pistols with one hand each and get the proper grip.  I have another cross draw holster I would use for third pistol. 

Five pistols, the .44SBH, with a case full of fffg will take SG targets down without undue problems with splatter. I carry all 5 pistols to the line hands free and stage the pistols for rifle targets and SG targets at the appropriate locations. My holster rig has 2 strong side. two cross draws used as forward cant , a gun bucket(acknowledged that it is not a legal main match holster, only for carry to the line). The belt is worn buckle on the back and has 10 loops for the SG pistol ammo. It also has suspenders because 5 pistols are heavy. I have posted pictures of this outfit before. They dont come to hand now.

Imis 

• 2 weeks later...

This is how we do it: 

And, as you’ll see, I use all 1851 Navy Revolvers (except for the shotgun ;)).  I use the long barrels on the “rifle” targets and the short barrels for the pistol targets.  

At Battle Born Rangers we do an annual monthly shoot more towards what we call real Josey. Josey didn't shoot a shotgun and he did shoot a big bore rifle! We shoot it along with regular SASS shooters. SO the stages are written to accommodate both. 3 categories

Josey Wales 4 pistols and single shot big bore rifle all black powder. 1 set of pistols is staged. Big bore rifle targets at the end of the bay. Pistols shoot SASS pistol and rifle targets. Ignore the shotgun. We ask that they shoot 38-40 and above but we don't get ROC about it.

Kinda Josey same as above but with smokeless powder.

Josey's girl same as above but they can shoot BP or smokeless and any caliber.

We also allow lever action big bore but they shoot more rounds to even it out.

The issue is, we get s many shooters shooting Josey we only shoot 4 stages instead of 6. Otherwise we'd be there till dark.

We also have the Tom Horn category for our annual big match. Similar to Josey but more categories within the category. We end up with about 4-% of our shooters shooting Tom Horn.

Our club likes to shoot big bore. Our long range side match also goes out to 750 yards. And it isn't a timed speed event. Real long range.

Ike

Shot Josey Wales Style today. 2 Walkers, an 1860 and an 1851. 

All cap & ball. It was a busy day but extremely fun. I have to use shotgun though. 

I shoot a pair of Pietta 1873's, a 5 1/2" New Vaquero, a 7 1/2" Taurus Gaucho in .45 Colt, and an "old" Vaquero 7 1/2"  .44 Magnum.

Archived