SASS Wire Forum

LOOSE AND LOSE

Bull Skinner

16 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My pet peeve is when someone says "I could care less...". It's supposed to be "I COULDN'T care less".  When you say the former you're saying that yes, you could care even less than you currently do. I can understand the occasional grammatical boo-boo, but so many people these days seem to have absolutely no grasp of the English language that you wonder what teachers are actually doing with their students these days. It's even more frustrating when you realize that learning the correct spelling or way to say something is as simple as doing a quick Google search.

When it comes to grammar peeves, I don't have pets, I have a menagerie. The above is is one of the biggest, though. Also on the list is the use of "pacifically" instead of "specifically," in spoken word, and many of the others mentioned above.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Person could write a rather thick book on this matter. 

But what the heck, punctuation and capital letters seem to have gone awry also. 

Guilty. Of course, they are all typos. ROTFLM...

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, Yul Lose said:

Well, having a name that folks tend to misspell the first name as often as the last name, Yule Loose, Yool Luz, etc.. I kinda know what you’re talking about. IMHO, folks tend to mispronounce my name in an effort to agitate me, I’m not easily agitated.

:o

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Don’t get me started. I’ve been called a spelling and grammar Nazi on the Internet more than once.;)

Bravo! I think the Wires have contributed to the delinquency of my spelling and grammar.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I'd pile on, but the point is mute.

:lol: One of my favorites!

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:41 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Alright or All Right.

When I was in high school I wrote a story and used the word “alright”. My English teacher chastised me for it. She said “alright” is not a proper word. I went on a mission and wrote a report regarding the history and use of “alright” vs “all right”. I proved to her that “alright” is all right and that it in fact a proper word (what ever a “proper word” is). 

I do know that some folks still think that the word “alright” should not be used. I use it in informal settings, like here, but when writing policies, procedures and formal documents at work I use “all right”, alright? ;)

We have more in common than you know! I'm gonna (opps I mean going to ;) ) send you an email.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:44 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just found that out.  I apologize, but if I can't be grumpy and assume the worst I'll be out of affordable hobbies. :rolleyes:

:lol: Dang (is that a real word?) this has been a fun thread.

(BTW according to Wikipedia a thread is "Thread or threads may refer to: Thread (yarn), a kind of thin yarn used for sewing. Thread (unit of measurement), a cotton yarn measure. Screw thread, a helical ridge on a cylindrical fastener"

16 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My pet peeve is when someone says "I could care less...". It's supposed to be "I COULDN'T care less".  When you say the former you're saying that yes, you could care even less than you currently do. I can understand the occasional grammatical boo-boo, but so many people these days seem to have absolutely no grasp of the English language that you wonder what teachers are actually doing with their students these days. It's even more frustrating when you realize that learning the correct spelling or way to say something is as simple as doing a quick Google search.

When someone says to me that they "could care less" I always ask "Then why don't you?".

That usually gets me a really odd look.

Even construction is not immune to misspellings, mispronunciations and malapropisms.

The ridges on a fastener are "threads" not "treads";

The plywood on the outside of the framing is "sheathing", not "sheeting";

The horizontal framing member in a floor or ceiling is a "joist", not a "joyce";

And the black material in roofing is "asphalt"  not "ashphalt".

It's a losing battle; language is in a constant state of flux, getting better and worse at the same time.

LL

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When someone says to me that they "could care less" I always ask "Then why don't you?".

I'll have to remember that.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

God gave you an odd look, too, but that hasn't stopped you from being a good guy.  I was gonna say "pretty good" but I already said you weren't.  Pretty, that is.

When are you going to quit messing around with this moving nonsense and get over here for a visit?

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

God gave you an odd look, too, but that hasn't stopped you from being a good guy.  I was gonna say "pretty good" but I already said you weren't.  Pretty, that is.

When are you going to quit messing around with this moving nonsense and get over here for a visit?

Give me a couple of months. I would love to come and visit. I think it would be a nice motorcycle trip on a long weekend. 

And, I am really glad you don’t think I am pretty. :D

48 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Give me a couple of months. I would love to come and visit. I think it would be a nice motorcycle trip on a long weekend. 

And, I am really glad you don’t think I am pretty. :D

We all know that Forty is prettier.

I love the English language and hate seeing it’s rapid decline, in both spoken and written forms, over the past 30 years or so. Younger folks tell me that it’s “evolving”. Deteriorating is more like it.

R U upset 2?

21 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Even construction is not immune to misspellings, mispronunciations and malapropisms.

The ridges on a fastener are "threads" not "treads";

The plywood on the outside of the framing is "sheathing", not "sheeting";

The horizontal framing member in a floor or ceiling is a "joist", not a "joyce";

And the black material in roofing is "asphalt"  not "ashphalt".

It's a losing battle; language is in a constant state of flux, getting better and worse at the same time.

LL

And a tire has tread, not thread.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

Try farther (distance) and further (advancing a thought) if you want confusion...:blink:

JC

Nah... I'm just confused as to why we park on driveways and drive on parkways. :huh:

Or better yet, why transporting freight over land is called a shipment yet putting it on a ship is called cargo. :blink:

Archived