SASS Wire Forum

Millennials in the workplace

The Bearded Wonder

I have a couple of those working for me. When they act like children, I treat them like children.

I love making Millennials bitter members of the work force. It’s fun and rewarding.

6iroAqRXT.gif

@The Bearded Wonder

Thanks for the morning laugh. :D

That was a gem of a find.

I bet you felt like Indiana Jones when you uncovered that one! :P

1931685935_IndianJones-Raiders.JPG.e59ad9c32467120f01713fe0c5d6b965.JPG

There are a lot of these type videos on you tube. Very funny. And too much truth to them.

We have a millenial working for us now as a "favor" to some people we know(millionaires). Their son: didn't want to go to college. They bought him a house. a Tesla, a pickup and God knows what else. 

Useless, as far as I can tell. I see him walking around all the time, doing very little. Has to be told exactly what to do(no initiative). Only works(?) 3 days a week. Supposedly taking business courses the other 2. If it was up to me he'd be gone by now. It isn't.

Why do we put up with him? Afraid I can't go into that. But I don't think it's a good enough reason. But I'm over ruled.

It was only about a week ago I figured out what he was. 

Thanks to the YouTube videos.

I know people like to make fun of millennials and all, but as a parent of two millennials I've noticed that there are two types, the awesome type and the stereotypical type, people like to make fun of.

My two kids are the awesome type. They accomplished and did things in their youth I never did, and I am no slouch; being an Eagle Scout, having attended one of the most prestigious (at the time) engineering schools, and being considered a subject matter expert in my field.

One child moved out when he was 20, paying his own way for everything, including school. Is also an Eagle Scout that hasn't touched the college fund I saved for him. Patriotically joined the military to gain more life experiences, and is active duty protecting your first amendment rights to make fun of millennials. The other was valedictorian of nerd high school, top % student at her university, deans list, honor fraternity member, and is about to start med school; all while regularly volunteering for the disadvantaged. 

Just adding a little perspective. 

Of course all "millenials" aren't stupid , ignorant jackasses. It's just that the stupid, ignorant ones make the rest look sooo bad. And there's so many.

Watched some YT videos where some couldn't name ONE country in the world, or name ONE book. :blink: It's not a question of how many were able to answer their question- it's that there were ANY who couldn't! Products of the US school systems.

Oh, there was ONE person who could name nearly every country on the map: an elementary school child!

24 minutes ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

So the problem is not the millennials, but rather the older generations that run their schools?

Pretty much.

35 minutes ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

So the problem is not the millennials, but rather the older generations that run their schools?

It s not the people running the K-12 schools it is our elected officials that decided that every school needed to be the same so they came up with "common core" 

Higher education has been corrupted by liberal professors that see it as their duty to indoctrinate brainwash weak minds.

In my not-so-humble opinion, there are immense flaws in today's education system.  Good parenting is essential to overcoming and working around these flaws.  :mellow:

Unfortunately, in today's society, good parenting is in short supply.  -_-

We need more Roosters.  

I had a millennial woman that worked for me that was all “sunshine and snackie cakes” whenever she was getting her way or receiving praise but as soon as there was a problem, she could not handle being questioned or “interrogated”, as she called it. She lashed out and sent emails to everyone at work, including HR, trying to get drama going and seek a base of like-thinkers.

She went into what I called “Daddy’s Spoiled Little Girl Mode”.

I was told to back off and just let everything settle. So I did. I doubled her work load and inspected her work much more often which led to her flipping out and showing her true colors.

Funny, once that occurred no one questioned my methods or interfered again. Had I followed direction and let it ride it would have just encouraged the silly little idiot.

You haven’t lived until you’ve basked in the glory of Portland Oregon Millennials. Dumbest, most ignorant people on the planet.

My daughter owns two day schools for kids 6 weeks to 6 years. Each has about 100 full time equivalents, which means up to 150 kids total, and more than 20 teachers.

she reposted someone’s job inquiry (for manager) and added the comment “this woman can’t write two complete sentences and wants me to give her responsibility for 100 young children?

We have one where I work and I can honestly say he falls into the awesome category. He is smart, eager to learn, and gives as good as he gets. I work at a site about 2 miles from the main plant with about 17 other people. We all get along really well and can work pretty effectively as a team.  We are definitely NOT PC. We are the poster children for HR nightmares.

Only problem is he cannot locate any other young engineers that we can hire to fill open reqs. Just about all of them would rather live in Dallas or Ft Worth where the cost of living is higher with a lot of trendy places to hang out than live in a sleepy town with a lower cost of living with almost no night life.

58 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Millennials = Left-wing Utopian Experiment 

The next generation, raised by Millennials is coming....

Ya know, Pat - some of us have Millenials as children/grandchildren.....

I'm downright proud of mine.

Attacking members of this generation as lazy misfits is actually an attack on their parents, some of whom failed to teach them about the virtues of hard work and personal responsibility; if Millenials have faults, they probably learned most of them from over-indulgent permissive parents of our generation.

Mine worked two Presidential campaigns for Republican candidates;  finished undergrad in 4 years; and is in his last year of an MBA program at UNC.  He already has excellent job offers from Amazon and Walmart, and is pondering a third offer from a consulting firm in VA.  One of his buddies went into the Navy following graduation (submarines) and is now in Law School.  Others went into banking, accounting and engineering.  Not much "left-wing" or "Utopian" there.

I'm sure you were generalizing; but we need to remember that these kids are all individuals, and Fox headlines do not define an entire generation.

LL

27 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I'm sure you were generalizing; but we need to remember that these kids are all individuals, and Fox headlines do not define an entire generation.

I do not look at Fox, CNN, MSNBC. Etc...

Perhaps it’s real estate oriented, as in location. Here in the Portland OR area I encounter the gifted generation on a daily basis. I work in public service. 9 in 10 of these “Millennials” I encounter are lazy, ignorant, ill-mannered, selfish, and rude. Some are downright stupid.

Consider yourself lucky and it’s a testament to you and yours on your children’s accomplishments. I put it to you that your kids and many of the kids of posters here that our kids are the 1 in 10’s of the society of Millennials that I speak of in this regard.

The post I made that you are commenting on was written tongue in cheek but it’s also true. At least, here on the west coast it is.

A friend of mine, retired Army and West Point grad, was invited to sit on a committee with Senator Pat Roberts of KS reviewing candidates from our state for appointments to the US service academies. He said he was very pleased with the high caliber of applicants and feels the future will be in good hands.

Like Loophole, my boys are part of the millenial age range. Their work ethic is awesome and I'm extremely proud of both of them. I'm also impressed with the folks they hang with.

It's a shame the doofuses get all the media attention and a give a bad name to an entire generation. There needs to be more attention paid to the many good ones.

Archived