SASS Wire Forum

Wanting some help with 243 purchase

I am looking to get started shooting a 243 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Remington 783 package that comes with a scope that is bore sighted. I have been looking at the Winchester rifles too. I really would prefer a 24" barrel but I will settle for a 22". any comments appreciated.

With the poor QC from Remmy over the last few yrs.

I would not buy the 783. Or any other 'R' made gun.

.243's are throat burners.

What will this rifle be used for?

The scope on the 783 is a cheap China made.  The one I looked through was not that clear.

Look hard at Ruger..........

OLG

Look into the Tikka T3, barrel and action are made by Sako.  CZ is another good maker of bolt actions.

I strongly 2nd the Tikka.  The smoothness of the action will put more expensive rifles to shame, great trigger, great accuracy.  They T3 Hunters were on sale for like 500 bucks, might still be able to find some.  I am a firm believer you won't find a better rifle for the money.

The only bolt action I own is a CZ 452 Silhouette.  Not the least expensive 22LR but the best value for a tack driver (sub MOA).  The centerfire CZ's are  Mauser actions.  Savage makes high quality high value rifles.  As Lumpy says if you are buying a combo rifle make sure the scope isn't cheap quality.  All I have ever read is the scope should cost as much or more than the rifle it is paired with.  Davidsons has a Ruger American 243 22" barrel with Vortex 3-9 scope for MSRP of $639 with with quoted prices ranging from $500-550 at retailers within 100 miles of Marble Falls TX.  Vortex makes high quality optics that don't break the bank.

I’m not bagging on Ruger at all...as I own several rifles and revolvers.  Also if you are set on a price point I understand completely.  Just googled a quick Ruger American vs tikka and picked a quick one...link below.  Tikka is like a budget cooper in my mind....it will shoot just as good.

the crossfire is a lower end scope in their lineup.  I had a viper at one point and not impressed as others were.  I have a venom and had to use their customer service on a dead one and they send me a used one as a replacement.  Nice people but I’m not into them...to be fair never tried their higher end.  Weaver super slams are great for the money and Natchez usually has on clearance and you can get mag and reticle you want.  I also found Nikon pro staff to be better than viper for less money but we all see differently and value different optical attributes.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/rifles/tikka-t3x-or-ruger-american-in-7mm-rem-mag

Not one mention of the Savage Axis? I have a .223 that gets used heavily on prairie dogs and is extremely accurate and then a .243 like you are looking for that again is amazingly accurate...especially for what they sell for.

Not one bit disappointed in mine!!

Bugler

I have not owned the 783 combo or any current production Winchester.  After owning two Remington 710 and one Remington 770, I would not advise buying the 783 in 243.  There is too much potential that you leave on the table and the growing problem with Remington's quality control.  Last summer I even had a Remington 700 that wouldn't group.  Hopefully Remington will get better after the bankruptcy cleanup.

There are several budget but good American options like the Ruger American, Savage Axis ii, T/C Compass or Venture.  All of these are 22" but so is the Remington 783.  Each of these 4 can be had for $200-350 depending on sales and rebates.  

What is your intended purpose with this rifle? That would be the biggest decision maker on what optics to look at.

I already have a scope that I will start out with. I would really like to take a shot at a How a 1500. Had one once before in 223 and it shot groups that could be covered by a quarter all day long. Im not sure i can afford a Tikka although i have heard they are real good shooters.

36 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I have not owned the 783 combo or any current production Winchester.  After owning two Remington 710 and one Remington 770, I would not advise buying the 783 in 243.  There is too much potential that you leave on the table and the growing problem with Remington's quality control.  Last summer I even had a Remington 700 that wouldn't group.  Hopefully Remington will get better after the bankruptcy cleanup.

There are several budget but good American options like the Ruger American, Savage Axis ii, T/C Compass or Venture.  All of these are 22" but so is the Remington 783.  Each of these 4 can be had for $200-350 depending on sales and rebates.  

What is your intended purpose with this rifle? That would be the biggest decision maker on what optics to look at.

I already have a scope that I will start out with. I would really like to take a shot at a How a 1500. Had one once before in 223 and it shot groups that could be covered by a quarter all day long. Im not sure i can afford a Tikka although i have heard they are real good shooters.

22 minutes ago, Slap Happy Pappy #24722 said:

I already have a scope that I will start out with. I would really like to take a shot at a How a 1500. Had one once before in 223 and it shot groups that could be covered by a quarter all day long. Im not sure i can afford a Tikka although i have heard they are real good shooters.

That's a good rifle if American Mades isn't a requirement.  It is right in that price range too.  https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/1000736

Howdy,

Remington 788.

Several on gb at reasonable prices.

If you can find one I might still have a mag laying around.

Don't pay 90 bucks for a mag unless its in wrapper and even then...wow.

Best

CR

Yeah the Howa 1500 looked good but i really like buying American so I probably will pass on it this time. The Howa is half American, is Hogue in the US? Now a days it's hard to tell who is and who isn't. Any rate, next week is the purchase day. Finally have enough saved up to get one. You pards  have been a real great help, thanks.

SHP

Ruger Hawkeye in .6 MM would be my choice , More powder space Gains you about 100 fps. with hunting bullets and the faster 1-9 twist handle VLD bullets better than the 1-10 in the 243 ...  Longer neck works better with bullets weighing above 75 gr.  My hunting load for it is a 95 grain Hornady SST at 3,224 fps. and the best 300 yard group measured 1.14 inches for 3 round out of a cold barrel .... It will shoot under 1.5 at 300 all day long, and makes a great starter/Ladies gun ... And one shot at 174 yards got my Youngest boy his first Muley Buck , this buck field dressed out at 304 pounds

Jabez Cowboy

27 minutes ago, Slap Happy Pappy #24722 said:

Yeah the Howa 1500 looked good but i really like buying American so I probably will pass on it this time. The Howa is half American, is Hogue in the US? Now a days it's hard to tell who is and who isn't. Any rate, next week is the purchase day. Finally have enough saved up to get one. You pards  have been a real great help, thanks.

SHP

Yes, Hogue is a US company which makes good products.  They push their American heritage, designs, and pride but not their manufacturing.  I assume production is overseas.  Both companies make a quality product.

17 minutes ago, Slap Happy Pappy #24722 said:

I think I have made up my mind, I believe I will go with the Ruger American Predator in 243. It seems to match all my criteria.

Congratulations, thats a good rifle and great backing by Ruger.  

I looked at the 6mm and shot my son in laws rifle and decided I wanted less recoil. My age is causing me to want less recoil now days. At this point I need to focus on one and I have narrowed it down to 2. Ruger American predator and TC Compass.

The recoil on the .6MM is more like a Push and that off the .243 more like a Slap ... In side by side testing identical guns with the caliber markings covered and the guns loaded by me , the guns both Rugers both with same scopes with the firing done by a group of 14-17 year old 4 H young ladies 6 thought the .6MM kicked the most  9 thought the .243 kicked harder and 5 thought it was the same in both .... They each fired two groups of 3 rounds from each gun ...

I love teaching 4 H girls to shoot both rifles and even better Handguns, they listen and have almost no preconceived notions as to guns AND ARE FAR EASVYER TO TEACH than the same age group of Young Men ...

Jabez Cowboy

I picked up a Ruger Light Sporter #1 recently in .243, it has a 22 inch barrel and iron sights.  It shot very well with the iron sights and when I invested in good optics it  definitely became a keeper and shooter. I worked up a load using 100 gr Accubond bullets and the accuracy truly surprised me.  Between Winchester and Remington, I'd go with he Winchester.  Just my opinion.  I'm still looking for a Savage 99 lever gun in .243, perhaps someday someone will let one go.

That's very interesting about the 4H girls. I guess that leaves another option open to me. I probably will remain with the 243 since I already got my dies for it. Plus I have my wife finally sold on the idea that I am going to get one.

I'd stay with the 243 for ammo availability if you travel.  Stuff happens, a cartridge that is available at the 24hr Walmart is handy.

The Predator will obviously be the better bench rifle with the heavier barrel.  The Predator stock is stiffer than the Compass, Boyds makes laminates for both.  The triggers both have a good break but the pull is user preference, I put a lighter spring in the Predator.  They'll both shoot 1" groups at 100yd with their preferred factory ammo.  They both have a smooth bolt push but the Compass bolt has more wobble.  The Compass bolt takes more force to rotate but it is 60* throw instead of the Predator 70*.  The Predator has a traditional ball instead of the cylinder bolt knob on the Compass.  The cylinder is more ergonomic to me, and it is grooved perfectly for o-rings.  Both magazines have fed reliably, the Compass holds an extra round.  Both magazines have strong latches that won't be released by snagged brush in the woods.  The local sporting goods store carries extra Ruger magazines.  The spare Compass magazine had to be ordered online but so did the Compass.  The Compass recoil pad is softer and more tacky but I can't tell a difference in recoil with the weight difference.  

Academy sent an email this morning promoting the Compass.  At that price you could try it.  If it's not optimal, you could sell it without loss.  

Sounds like the Predator might be the way to go. I want to do long range shooting with the gun and I will be building some gun specific reloads. That means shooting quite a few rounds until I find the right powder for each of my bullets. I figure an 58 grain for varmints, 80 grains for target and a 100 grain for hunting and shilouette.

Pappy, not to throw more confusion into the process, but in the same class as the .243 (sorta!) have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor?  Known for long range accuracy and mild recoil.  Although recoil is a bit greater than the .243, it's still not unpleasant and there are heavier bullets available.   :)

Here's a pretty comprehensive article comparing the two:

https://www.swggun.org/6-5-creedmoor-vs-243/

i READ THE ARTICLE and was quite interesting. For what I have planned to do with this rifle, I think I will stay with the 243.

I will mostly do target shooting, shilouette shooting and varmint shooting. I have never been deer hunting so I don't need to worry about that

but I do like long range Bullseye shooting. I have used my 30-30 up to now, shooting a 150 grain cast bullet with a gas check out to as

much as 500 yards but I want to go longer distances and that is why I am stepping up to the 243.

I will admit I always pause and shake my head in wonder when someone says they are going to get [insert item here], seeming pretty clear on what they want, and they get a chorus of "try different [insert different item here]." I understand it is meant to be helpful, but it strikes me as being tone deaf and rude, ignoring or discounting the person's stated desire. Sure, if someone is about to do something dangerous, or cost themselves time, money and frustration, that's one thing. But for crying out loud, the .243 is a perfectly serviceable round, especially for what he says he wants it for, and is already set up for.

To the OP, I'm glad you opted against the Remington. When I was behind the gun counter, we sold a fair number, and saw plenty back to go to Remington with problems. Pretty much all the scopes needed replaced. I don't recall any problems with the Ruger American coming in with issues. 

I had a .243 Sako that fell victim to my need to sell off some guns, that I would dearly love to have back.

I need more coffee.

Archived