SASS Wire Forum

Reloading table size for room to work

Texas Lizard

I am having to move my reloading table may have to down size...Would like to have gone the 4 feet wide, but a little harder to get one of my toy boxes...If I stay at 3 feet I am in good shape...I am putting two presses on the table, a blue 650 and a green thing...Can never remember the name...More for set up black power 45-60 and up...A long with 44-40...Question how much space should I give to the middle and too the sides...I can go 24 inches deep or 18 inches...A little help would be nice...

Thanks ahead of time...

Texas Lizard

Wife wanted more room...

Get a Quick Change Strong Mount from Inline Fabrication.

Allows you to easily swap to a different press and maximize your available real estate. Also has a convenient storage dock for presses not in use. I have the 9 3/4 tall version and found it works exceptionally well with my SDB as well as my Lyman T-Mag turret press. 

I would go with a 24" deep work top.

I have a small bench for my presses,  16x39 inches.  Have a 650 with case feeder, a Lyman T Mag and a Lee Turret press mounted on it along with a Hornady powder measure.  Yes, it's tight but it works!  Actually it is a jewelers bench that I made a few years ago when I was doing some silver work.

Blackfoot

Loading benches are never big enough .I like room to have space to have a blue tub that holds a 1000 pcs 38 special bullets left of each 650 press . On the right side is the finished cartridge box with space for primer flipper  then we start over with next Dillon 650 .

I am lucky to have about 16 ft of bench space for two Dillon 650 's. one Dillon S 900  one Dillon square deal and one RCBS Rockchucker.

Bench is four feet by 16 feet with everything bolted down and extra tool heads stored behind the presses and on shelf above

When I started with a Lee Classic Turret and Mec Jr. I used a type writer table, 26" wide with a 12" folding leaf  X 16" deep. I installed angle brackets to support the 12" leaf and put a piece of plywood on the 26" part. I drilled holes for the two press and a Star lube/sizer. Later I installed a Hornady LNL-AP and put all the other presses on a block of wood that I could C- clamp when needed. All my other stuff I put in two Rubber  Maid boxes under the 12" leaf. Yes it was tight but it worked;). I now use the type writer table for two Star lube/sizers only.  Good Luck:)

I have each press, 550B, MEC 500, and an RCBS single stage, mounted (bolted or clamped) on portable tool tables. They can easily be moved around to suit my needs, but are usually occupy the same space all the time since I like my current setup. The bigger the table and area, the more stuff that accumulates and gets in the way. I like to keep only the items I need for the task at hand and avoid clutter. Other tools like a case trimmer, or extra press can be set up as needed.

Joe Cross

You really don't need a lot of space on the bench top as long as you have room for storing components and other stuff nearby.  I converted an old student's desk into a reloading bench.  The presses are mounted to 3/4" plywood covered in green canvas set on the desk top.   Desk top dimensions are 52" X 22".  Desk drawers hold a lot of stuff, and I have additional storage in the cabinet to the left of the desk.  It looks good enough in my den that I can reload inside during summer and winter in complete comfort.  Dirty operations like tumbling brass, gun cleaning, and casting are performed in garage.

Bench.thumb.jpg.1c8b78afc337ffb7deea1d5aab8a20f1.jpg

I have the Inline Fabrication quick change system as well. I have 8 presses and tools mounted on plates and it is a snap to change them. I have a base mounted on a Frankford Arsenal portable loading bench that l use when I’m traveling and have two bases mounted at my bench at home. I really am glad I switched to this system and would never go back to the old way!

+1 for Frankford Arsenal portable bench.  I've attached the Dillion 550C with a strong mount after modifying the base a little bit.  I suspect I'll get another bench if I get another press, as I only have so much room in my study/office...

14 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Both ideas have some good thoughts...I think a cold beer and look over my set up a little more...I am seeing a hole new line of thinking...

Thanks to both...

Texas Lizard

Several gun forums have threads dedicated to reloading benches,   So wile you're enjoying that brew,,, do a google search:  reloading bench ideas forum

im operating off a B&D work mate , i have to switch between the lyman and the rock crusher right now but i will be remounting so they are side by side soon , i have some counter space as well that is right next to the presses , 

To all who have given me ideas...Thank you...I looked at all of them today and came down to the best one for me and the problems I have working the press...The biggest problem was working from the wheelchair...I need to roll under for needs...That alone took out many ideas...Still many of the ideas gave much to work with...Set up and shelving...But out of all of ideas the best one that I liked and think works better for me was the very first video..Mount the press onto a board and move the whole thing to another table for use...The mounted presses stay on a one table out of the way...The other table is a rock solid top...Which makes it very good as cleaning and take down table...It is big enough to use and I can move it out of the way...Put sliders on the feet...Now to see why I have 5 sets of the same reloading dies...When cleaning, it is amazing how much extra you find...

Texas Lizard

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 10:17 PM, Big Rock, SASS #44055 said:

If you think the bench is just big enough, it isn’t. You run out of room fast.

Very true. My bench is 12' long and 36" deep.  I'm out of room so most of my stuff is stored in a spare bedroom

I know this will not help you with the wheelchair and all but I have drawn up plans for an octagon  loading table, it has shelf and drawers underneath where I can keep all my reloading, bullet casting and cleaning stuff

Archived