SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cleaning - NON-SASS Firearms

With the recent passing of my Father-in-Law, I have acquired four (4) firearms.

The goal is to (1) clean them up, (2) take them to the range and shoot them, (3) get appraisal offers from several local pawn/gun shops and finally, (4) decide which ones my wife and I want to keep, and then (5) sell the others.

For the cleaning portion, we'll use the same products I use for cleaning my SASS firearms; however, my question at this time, is this: What would be the best product to use to clean the outside of each of these firearms, and can it be used on all four of them?

Obviously we would like to have the firearms look their best before presenting them for appraisal and eventual sale.

Looking for suggestions to see if I need to pick up a different product that I don't currently have on hand.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

They are:

Charter Arms Corp - Undercover .38 special

5a58e2d0ef92d_Handgun2.1.jpg.133f630dadc6e15df78276e1619079c9.jpg

5a58e2da1d373_Handgun2.2.jpg.6f100b2a069cc58a4c5225a514b40eab.jpg

Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum Model 19-3

5a58e31b8ca36_Handgun3.1.jpg.41f50ae2e58c02ccf00092d6290b1300.jpg

5a58e3284fab1_Handgun3.2.jpg.c3ce81e88c3fd999e5a42790b05be083.jpg

5a58e33f99b03_Handgun3.4.jpg.a06ab8287c8b5cca031c96de68a2fb68.jpg

Armi F.LLI Tanfogio Model 1A76 .22 Caliber LR

5a58e3bf4855c_Handgun1.1.jpg.80ccc5e4f7ac4a7aeeb5b6f80dff4f9a.jpg

5a58e3c589a88_Handgun1.2.jpg.d1ed6a269ad21688bc17fa8542e5781a.jpg

5a58e3c899692_Handgun1.3.jpg.ab57799ddea46d5acb6c9fbc6a2acca5.jpg

"Casull's Improvement" Freedom Arms .22 Caliber LR

5a58e4161afa1_Handgun4.1.jpg.f6e004c140812292791f6d092666284f.jpg

5a58e41a4112a_Handgun4.2.jpg.936405b82e6c3dcd83b6555a3314a685.jpg

Handgun 3.6.JPG

Clean em lust like ya do w/ ya sass guns-----Check w/ a gun dealer about prices & condition -- NOT A PAWNSHOP---pawnshops are in business o getting things @ rock bottom prices-----for those that still favor revolvers--the Charter .38 is a great little inexpensive carry gun--    (carry one myself)- The S&W  needs more of a on duty kinda  carry--( armed security guard kinda use)---but it's a great house gun for self defense! The Armi .22 was a very inexpensive little S/A revolver--might be useful to some o the young ones starting to shoot Buckaroo here on  SASS wire!----The Casull .22 was inexpensive--but is of interest to sass shooters as a pocket pistol!---Don't know if it's my computer but blueing on S&W apperars a little rough---if it is rough -to have it reblued just for sale value would probably not raise price enough to cover cost of blueing!

As long as you dont shoot BP, clean them just like your cowboy guns.  Even if you do shoot BP you might be able to use the same stuff depending on what ya use.  I use CLP for everything unless I can fit it into the ultrasonic, in which case it gets lucas oil bore solvent. 

Mostly like others have said.  

I would remove the grips; you may be surprised at the crud that can accumulate around the grip edges.  Then wipe down the exposed surfaces and the bore with a good CLP product until the white rags show no more more dirt and rust is coming off the gun.  I like Breakfree personally.

If the gun is going to be stored away for awhile, I like to apply a VERY thin layer of grease to the exposed surfaces.  It can be wiped off easily before the gun is used again and provides another level of protection against rust.  I’m using the same tube of Hoppe’s grease I’ve owned for years; it doesn’t take much.

Check Gunbroker to get an idea of current values.  There are also reference books on gun values in most libraries, or get the latest Fjested’s Blue Book Of Gun Values.  

Howdy,

Clp Breakfree is pretty good for all around,

No big problems? Right?

Carnauba car wax will keep most guns looking good.

Car wax with sillycone will leave most of the letters or engraving white.

For heavy cleaning brake cleaner as in auto brake cleaner will clean 

ALL oils from the metal. You might not want that.

Stock up on qtips.   They are usually in the baby aisle.

For wood, try Scotts liquid Gold. Just the liquid on a rag. Works for me.

Happy cleaning.

Best

CR

Good replies on cleaners etc...  Check the Smith 19 for a lead rings in the cylinder, which would be caused by shooting a lot of .38 Special.  I bought one that would not chamber .357 ammo because of this.  They can be a bear to remove, had to buy a Lewis lead remover.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

There are also reference books on gun values in most libraries, or get the latest Fjested’s Blue Book Of Gun Values.  

I think if you check, an online subscription is only a few dollars for several months, and far better than going to a pawn shop or even a gun store for appraised value. Gun Broker and other online auctions can be hit and miss, sometimes just showing you what people are asking for the guns.

https://bluebookofgunvalues.com

Cleaning is cleaning , can't offer any advice there , but for pricing , I will echo what the others have said already. A pawn shop or gun store is probably the very worst place to get advice on prices. I would trust the pards here. The auction sites are a fairly good place to get a feel for real world pricing , although some of the sellers have high expectations occasionally. And personally I find Blue Book more of good reference for model numbers and such info than for real-world pricing.

Good luck , Rex :D

+1 on the Break Free, Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative hence the name CLP Breakfree!

Just one addition.  The little Casull appears to be plated, (nickle, chrome or such), if it is be certain not to leave any cleaner on it that is a "copper remover".   By the way,  I wouldn't sell any of them if they were mine!

BlackfootB)

1 hour ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

Just one addition.  The little Casull appears to be plated, (nickle, chrome or such), if it is be certain not to leave any cleaner on it that is a "copper remover".   By the way,  I wouldn't sell any of them if they were mine!

BlackfootB)

Blackfoot,

My wife is leaning that way

That's why she wants to take them to the range and try then out.

Keep all of them if you can.  You can use the ARMI 22 in side matches.  Both of the D.A.'S would make nice home defense with the Charter Arms making a nice concealed carry.  The Freedom Arms would be nice "Play Toy" at the range, or a back up carry.

As to cleaning, as others have stated, same as your SASS firearms.  If there is a carbon ring in the 357 cylinder, then using a belled 357 case or even a 44/45 cal brush should remove the majority of it.  The rest with usual cleaning practices.

If you do decide to sell the Freedom Arms, could I have second refusal behind Happy Jack?

59 minutes ago, Clueless Bob said:

Previous text removed only to.. 59f0a319ca71d_SavethePlanet-RESIZED.jpg.b23ef82aba80312191e3e6f09f3991b2.jpg

If you do decide to sell the Freedom Arms, could I have second refusal behind Happy Jack?

Bob,

Will do. 

2 hours ago, Dirty Low Down sass 23492 said:

Ya also need to factor in these were ya wife's fathers guns------no gun price listing anywhere has that added to guns value----KEEP EM!!! & she'll probably fix ya some extra bacon & eggs in the mornings!!!!!

Dirty Low Down,

This is a typical breakfast she makes.

Eggs over easy, grits, sausage links, hash browns and pancakes.  :wub:

IMG_20171217_094402.thumb.jpg.71717f899909862ccc5ab51d478e40da.jpg

On 1/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Clp Breakfree is pretty good for all around,

On 1/12/2018 at 5:09 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

+1 on the Break Free, Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative hence the name CLP Breakfree!

+1 for the +1 on CLP Break Free.

Another thing that I do is wipe my guns down with a Kleen Bore silicone cloth when storing. If you take them for appraisal just wipe them off with a clean cotton rag. This way the guns don't show fingerprints and smudges from handling.

As much as I would love to see you offer up that S&W for sale or trade I would recommend you hold onto that one. Their value goes up every year. Now if you were to say "Yeah Pat, but it has a 4" barrel and I really want a model 19 - 4 with a 6" barrel."  I have one of those...;)

But seriously, I would hang onto them. 

Archived