SASS Wire Forum

I was really excited

CurlyDrew42

When I joined this forum I was stupidly happy to find a bunch of knowledgeable folks who shared several of my own hobbies and interests.  Now I have to re consider if I even want to participate in S.A.S.S. events.  The amount of vitriol and insult I have been on the receiving end of has really soured me on the organization.  I have been trying to recruit several friends who are also history buffs and firearms enthusiasts to join.  I have been trying to talk my wife into joining.  Now I feel that they would be equally unwelcome.  I appreciate all the input I have got about gun choices.  I have already contacted the moderators about disabling my account so i will not be participating in any more discussions on this forum.

Edit: So now I  have to revise my revision.  Thanks to those of you who have commented publicly and privately.

5 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

When I joined this forum I was stupidly happy to find a bunch of knowledgeable folks who shared several of my own hobbies and interests.  Now I have to re consider if I even want to participate in S.A.S.S. events.  The amount of vitriol and insult I have been on the receiving end of has really soured me on the organization.  I have been trying to recruit several friends who are also history buffs and firearms enthusiasts to join.  I have been trying to talk my wife into joining.  Now I feel that they would be equally unwelcome.  I appreciate all the input I have got about gun choices.  I have already contacted the moderators about disabling my account so i will not be participating in any more discussions on this forum.

So if my choice to be a student of condfederate history leads me to post or support a picture of the confederate battle flag that many of my anscestors died under and am proud of that heritage and is a cause to defend, you'll use it as an excuse to leave the game? Come on!! There is much more to SASS than the confederate flag. Based on your statements on the wire I'd say that you were not a quitter. Why don't you go to a few matches and actually meet some of the folks that dress as a confederate soldier or officer and see what a huge mistake you are making. I believe your viewpoint will change. You can't expect to come on a forum and throw out some of the stuff that you did over on the wire and not be challenged, if you did that was a very naive assumption. I shoot with a few pards that have deep roots in the south and the confederacy and there is not a racist bone or thought in them. 

Give it it a chance Curly.

Curly, don't quit because someone has a different view. If something offends you then talk to the person that offended you and try to come to an understanding. It wasn't that you were offended it was because you immediately went to the mods and complained.  This is a place for discussion not censorship. Yes sometimes someone's going to say something that they shouldn't, or post something that may make you upset. You'll get that everywhere. However if you talk to them as a friend then they'll be much more likely to change their post, or even apologize. You can come to an understanding. There's no better group of people out there so long as you're upfront.

You should also expect some teasing, harassing, leg pulling, and goat getting. The joy is that you can do it to them as well. You should know that, here, most everything is posted in humor with no malice intended.

Go to a local club and meet some shooters. You'll be surprised by how nice, friendly and agreeable they are.

No worries, I will shoot as many matches as I can over the next year.  I have friends up and down this coast, my grand parents are still in Southern California and my mom lives about 20min from Albuquerque.  So, two birds one stone and all that.

What Mods did you contact? I haven't seen anything. Besides, if I had I would have said this to you:

If you look at the wide array of people that we have in SASS you would see a melting pot of not only people but politics, ways of life, vocations, education levels, income levels, religions, you name it. I have been involved in SASS for many years and I did walk away from SASS for a few years over some silly bitterness I had and the only person or people I hurt was myself. Once I realized I made a mistake it was my ego that kept me away. Again, the only person hurt, impacted or otherwise was me.

The Wire is not SASS. The Wire is within SASS but a majority of SASS members rarely frequent the Wire. This is for many reasons. Some because or reasons similar to yours, some just don't like forums, for some the novelty of the Wire wore off and some just plain don't like computers or the internet.

So, if you want to leave, that is on you. No one else.

If you want to stay, that would be great.

There are folks that are on this Wire from the days when I became a member back in 97.

There are folks that are new.

One thing that doesn't change is there are a bunch of good folks on here and even the ones that you don't agree with would help you out in a heart beat if you needed them.

So, it's up to you. Me, I'd prefer you stay.

Have a great day.

Curly!!  We have already swapped PMs, so you know my position!  I said then and I'll repeat it here.  You shouldn't quit!  I know nothing of your upbringing or education. I know nothing of your family history.  I've given you advice freely and in the spirit of the game. I DID take exception to your actions in this one instance.  I felt that you insulted others as well as myself with one of your comments.  That's over and done. I'm satisfied that you didn't intend the slight.

I'd bet that your wife and your friends will enjoy the fun and the interaction with the folks who participate in our game. This is a pastime to leave your real life problems and politics behind and enjoy the fantasy for an afternoon or a weekend!  It's a chance to be someone else for a while. To act like you're the hero in the western novel or movie!!

Buy into that and you'll always be within the "Spirit of the Game"!!

To summarize what I said in a private message, avoid the conflicted ground, find the common ground, and enjoy! I do hope you decide to stay, and regain your sense of excitement.

By the way Curly, if I let everyone on the Wire get to me I would have to find a Saloon to hang out in... ;)

There are a lot of great people in SASS...and a few annoying ones. The annoying ones don't hang out in Saloons.:D

If it weren't for the Saloon I woulda lost touch with a lot of great folks here!  I got roasted, flayed and bar be qued a few times my ownself over on the wire.  Started hangin out here a few years ago and never went back. Too much fun here, and too many nice folks.

I rarely go over to the wire. The level of courtesty that used to exist there has declined greatly in the last 10 years.

And I have an extremely thick skin.

On 10/5/2017 at 12:49 PM, CurlyDrew42 said:

Curly,

I hope that you take this the right way I am not trying to be mean this is just an observation from someone without a dog in this hunt. I read everything just to see what I thought about all of it, again I don't know anyone involved at all, now am going to give you my 2cents only because you asked for it.

First life isn't fair at all, people don't always get along or play nice with others this is just life. If I let people that have called me names or insulted me make me quit something I enjoyed I would do nothing but sit in my house and that would have to be without my wife! I have never quit anything due to others, if I stop doing something it is because I have lost interest in doing it. Remember once you start quitting it will only get easier the next time, never let someone else keep you from doing what you enjoy. 

If you stay or go I wish you good luck.

Just now, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I'm just upset that there was a dust up and I didn't get to tell anyone to go to heck!

You can totally tell me, it's cool.  I am sticking around, for at least a year ;)

I try to avoid the Wire when possible. The Saloon is so much better.

Just for giggles, Sometime in the future go over to the Wire and complain about how Ruger Vaquero's shouldn't be allowed as they are a modern design and weren't around before 1900. People get angry about that for some reason......lol

Oh be sure to hide afterwards.

8 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I try to avoid the Wire when possible. The Saloon is so much better.

Just for giggles, Sometime in the future go over to the Wire and complain about how Ruger Vaquero's shouldn't be allowed as they are a modern design and weren't around before 1900. People get angry about that for some reason......lol

Oh be sure to hide afterwards.

The REAL reason some Pards don't like Rugers is because Rugers are faster than Colts..... :D

And CURLY, you are more than welcome to add your .02 and then sit back and watch us all dance around this topic.

..........Widder

10 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Sometime in the future go over to the Wire and complain about how Ruger Vaquero's shouldn't be allowed

I wouldn't mind having one . . . stainless, with black birds head grip with a 4in barrel . . . but I don't want one for cowboy shooting :)

1 minute ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

I wouldn't mind having one . . . stainless, with black birds head grip with a 4in barrel . . . but I don't want one for cowboy shooting :)

I wouldn't mind a case hardened with ivory bird's head and a 3-4" barrel. I'd rock that in a heartbeat.

Just now, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

add your .02

I love Ruger products.  I bought my wife a 10/22, I will likely buy myself one.  I want a Ruger mini14 with a nice wood stock.  The first semi auto handgun i ever touched was a Ruger P85, the P series is awesome by the way if you want a sturdy inexpensive ambidextrous pistol.  The newer SR line emulates the 1911 frame and comes in 9mm, 10mm and .45 as well as commander frames.   I want a single six. . . i want a new vaquero with the birds head grip. . . . I am just a Ruger fan all around I guess. :)

Don't really want them for cowboy shooting though. 

3 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I wouldn't mind a case hardened with ivory bird's head and a 3-4" barrel. I'd rock that in a heartbeat.

Honestly, that would be an incredibly classy carry piece.

Just now, CurlyDrew42 said:

Honestly, that would be an incredibly classy carry piece.

Oh very much so. If I wasn't so poor I'd already have one.  That or a SAA would be good too. A SA snubbie like that in .45lc with a nice finished cross draw or shoulder holster. I need to stop now. My wallet's already screaming in pain.

4 minutes ago, Dorado said:

My wallet's already screaming in pain

Yeah, I need to lock that down too.  I just bought a gun cart and I still need to buy my lever gun, so mad money is being saved up.

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

The REAL reason some Pards don't like Rugers is because Rugers are faster than Colts..... :D

And CURLY, you are more than welcome to add your .02 and then sit back and watch us all dance around this topic.

..........Widder

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Shirley you jest, Widder.  Colts are over priced and Rugers are over bored.

Got me some Californians that would make a woodin indian dance. :D

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Dang!  I guess I'll just have to try harder. 

Please don't!

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I rarely go over to the wire. The level of courtesty that used to exist there has declined greatly in the last 10 years.

And I have an extremely thick skin.

Wow! :(That makes me sad, or is it happy, and confused. :unsure: I've only been a Mod for a few years and have taken much abuse about over-moderating.  I was beginning to think it, everything anyone has to complain about, was all my fault. If anyone has anything constructive to say about ensuring courtesy, I need all of the tips I can get. That was a serious comment!

All the 'Mods' here do a great job!  Hard job and I know this for fact, as I'm a mod on 2 smaller forums(:o

Every mod will at one time, or another make a decision and later say 'WTH was I think'n?' It happens-get over it......

Allie and I are friends, and have shot together on the same posses. With that said, I will say this---We are lucky to have her.

That doesn't mean she hasn't beat me with than dang stick of hers more than a few times, when I had it come'n.

For those who remember Black Harris, he asked Allie to take over here. He made a great choice IMNSHO!

The other good thing is the fact that if it wasn't for the high pay our mods receive-Pat Riot would be back panhandling on the streets again. :lol: :P

OLG

4 hours ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

You can totally tell me, it's cool.  I am sticking around, for at least a year ;)

That's great news, Curly. We're like a bunch of siblings sometimes we laugh, sometimes we fight but we all just seem to work it all out. If you ever get down this way and have time for a match I'd be glad to help you get to one.

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I rarely go over to the wire.

I go and read though the subjects.  Since I'm not a member, I won't touch treads about rules (although I'm still wondering about what caused the rule about not carrying ammo in the mouth, nose or any other bodily orifice.  Who tried carrying what where?)  I won't touch the goings on in clubs.  If there is a question that might touch on history I'll check it out and maybe contribute.  But threads about history, costuming, etc. seem to be few and far between these days.

27 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I'd be glad to help you get to one.

I know for sure I will be back San Berdoo in February, I have three more rifles to rescue and I will likely ship them to myself since I am hoping I can get enough experience tween now and then to go to a match and not look like a total doofus and one ginormous gun case through TSA at a time is plenty for me.  I will definitely let you know when I get down to that neck of the woods.

Archived