SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun loops on main belt?

Sgt. Saywut

43 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

<snip>

Bandoliers may not be tied down.

Sending you a PM.

Yes, elastic is appropriate for the Old West!

But it's not a bandolier.

12 hours ago, Ginny Hinny said:

This may seem a silly question but, when you dress for a stage or match, do you have to wear the same equipment throughout the match?  Say, a single state requires 4 shots from a shotgun but the next stage requires six. You carry six on your gun belt but want to add the shotshell belt, can you add the equipment for the next stage or leave it off as needed? 

I do this all the time.  I usually wear an eight round shotgun slide.  When that is not enough I have a high-capacity canvas belt I put on.  I sometimes shoot more than one shotgun in a match.  When I'm shooting a '97 I have a SxS with me I use for pop ups.  If rain starts I grab a stainless steel Marlin I keep with me as a backup.  I change hats too.  When the wind picks up I switch from a cowboy hat to a railroad cap.

I use a rig similar to CW Knight(who regularly beats me, including yesterday). It has 5 pairs of leather double loops in front, no SG belt required. No pictures available. I have used this for 12-14 years. It may put me at a slight disadvantage but it keeps me from needing a second belt. If I were to change I could simply reverse the holsters , put the buckle in the front and have 10 extra SG shells in back for those stages that need MORE. It works for me.

Imis

see yall at the TN State Match 

54 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

Dixi Bell rig

DixieBELLTAN-T10.jpg

Good for B Western as well.  Classic Cowgirl/boy not so much.

"Shotgun loops must be in a single row". Handbook, page 11, version 21.8

I get that these loops are literally a single row, while the shells are not, but the question arises whether this design is gaming the intent of the rule, which is not stated.

I use an eight shell slide in front, usually carry a few loose in my back pocket depending on the stage.  It just works better for me.  Have a belt for stages which take more than 8.  Like someone above my spare is a different gauge than my regular and have a belt for that one (I break guns regularly).  I've tried belts made of canvas, leather, single and double loops and all the slickery stuff and wet and form and none of them let me pull as quickly as the slide I wear in front.  I'm probably best described as undernourished and when I pull from the belt in a hurry it tends to ride up rather than releasing the shells. 

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I get that these loops are literally a single row, while the shells are not, but the question arises whether this design is gaming the intent of the rule, which is not stated.

Not sure either, but I only put shells in the top not the bottom.  I find if I do as indicated I will be stepping all over shells as the loops wear.  Even so, a total of nine pretty much carries me through. 

6 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Well, I am sure it is legal. It has been ruled legal and was approved by the ROC. That means it is not "gaming the intent of the rule."

The following is from the SHB, p.11.  "Leather belt slide ammo loops are acceptable; however, shotgun shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo belt. Shotgun loops must be in a single row...Shotgun ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt).

Dixie Bell, the designer for Ted Blocker, the maker, has won her category at EOT and WR and... wearing one.

There are two single rows. Not one on top, away from the body, of the other. The point is that the shells do not tilt away from the body. That is the reason that wearing a slide on top of SG loops is not legal.

Regards,

Allie

PS I've had 5 rigs and this one (looks just like the photo) is my favorite. Everything is in the perfect position.

The rig shown also complies with the following:

Shotgun ammo loops may not accommodate more than two rounds per loop...

SHB p.11

14 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Well, I am sure it is legal. It has been ruled legal and was approved by the ROC. That means it is not "gaming the intent of the rule."

The following is from the SHB, p.11.  "Leather belt slide ammo loops are acceptable; however, shotgun shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo belt. Shotgun loops must be in a single row...Shotgun ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt).

Dixie Bell, the designer for Ted Blocker, the maker, has won her category at EOT and WR and... wearing one.

There are two single rows. Not one on top, away from the body, of the other. The point is that the shells do not tilt away from the body. That is the reason that wearing a slide on top of SG loops is not legal.

Regards,

Allie

PS I've had 5 rigs and this one (looks just like the photo) is my favorite. Everything is in the perfect position.

I don't see where anyone suggested wearing a shotgun slide over shotgun loops. There is no wording that prohibits wearing a slide over cartridge loops.

On 9/15/2017 at 9:06 AM, Cowboy Junky said:

A separate shotgun belt is just more versatile and lets you change things as you grow as a shooter....without spending more money. The slides and belts loops on your main belt box you in a corner and limit what you can do as well as limit your round count. 

The first shootoff I ever got in left me standing their watching the other guy finish as I wished for more shot shells so I learned the hard way. 

I've been using the rig I posted a photo of for about ten years now. In these parts we seldom have a stage with over six shotgun targets. So carrying eight rounds in my two slides allows me to miss or drop two rounds and still not run out of shells. If I have more than two misses, I don't deserve any more shells. Four shots from the shotgun are much more common in these parts, so my two slides are even more forgiving. I have never felt boxed into a corner with my rig, eight rounds is plenty. For the very unusual situation like the shotgun run that I mentioned earlier, where we would run through the woods firing at about a dozen targets, the shotgun belt is always available. But we haven't done the shotgun run in years.

I do miss it though, it was great fun. It usually included several poppers. I love smashing clay pigeons up close with Black Powder rounds out of my old SXS.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, Ginny Hinny said:

This may seem a silly question but, when you dress for a stage or match, do you have to wear the same equipment throughout the match?  Say, a single state requires 4 shots from a shotgun but the next stage requires six. You carry six on your gun belt but want to add the shotshell belt, can you add the equipment for the next stage or leave it off as needed? 

Perfectly legal but it is faster and easier to do the same thing all the time rather than switch things around.....especially if something doesn't go as planned..........  That's the beauty of SASS though you can make it whatever you want it to be. I Like spacing between each pair for my SXS so many of these slides people are showing would only hold four for me. 

Add to that if you have a smaller waist you have a rough time getting enough in the front period and a slide makes it harder. No right or wrong just passing on my experiences but "for me" I want to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you have eight (let alone six) and drop one, miss or have a miss fire etc on a 6 shotgun stage it's just not worth the risk for me. 

19 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Add to that if you have a smaller waist you have a rough time getting enough in the front period and a slide makes it harder.

I have a special diet and exercise regiment that can solve this problem.  If anyone is interested I think I've got the kinks worked out enough to share.  Free to all my cowboy buddies, I'm gunna charge everyone else.  If it works out the way I planned, I'll be able to retire by age 128. 

On 9/14/2017 at 9:11 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Second belt sits up closer to the shotgun and your hand.  Faster, faster, faster.   More flexible.  Easy to take weight off by unbuckling that sg belt.   Holds more shells if you have a monster SG stage.  Leaves your main belt unencumbered, or clear so you can add a rifle cartridge slide on it without covering over your sg loops.   Look at the fast shooters you see around matches... there's mainly one way that they do it.

Good luck, GJ

+1

On 9/14/2017 at 10:11 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Second belt sits up closer to the shotgun and your hand.  Faster, faster, faster.   More flexible.  Easy to take weight off by unbuckling that sg belt.   Holds more shells if you have a monster SG stage.  Leaves your main belt unencumbered, or clear so you can add a rifle cartridge slide on it without covering over your sg loops.   Look at the fast shooters you see around matches... there's mainly one way that they do it.

I'm so glad I don't give a hoot about shooting fast.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:06 AM, Roscoe Regulator said:

I don't see where anyone suggested wearing a shotgun slide over shotgun loops. There is no wording that prohibits wearing a slide over cartridge loops.

I would run that past PWB and the ROC. Just because it isn't specifically prohibited doesn't automatically mean it is legal.

22 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Perfectly legal but it is faster and easier to do the same thing all the time rather than switch things around.....especially if something doesn't go as planned..........  That's the beauty of SASS though you can make it whatever you want it to be. I Like spacing between each pair for my SXS so many of these slides people are showing would only hold four for me. 

Add to that if you have a smaller waist you have a rough time getting enough in the front period and a slide makes it harder. No right or wrong just passing on my experiences but "for me" I want to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you have eight (let alone six) and drop one, miss or have a miss fire etc on a 6 shotgun stage it's just not worth the risk for me. 

this is what I would say as well. Additionally I find it more consistent to use the same gear in the same place each time. While I do not really believe in the term "muscle memory" I do believe that training my brain to have my hands doing the same thing in the same location each and every time is a huge advantage for my style of shooting.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 9/14/2017 at 6:34 PM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

You should also take a look at the Lady Tequila rig by Kirkpatrick.  It is a very good "all in one" design for women.  I do leather and made a similar rig for my wife and she loves it.

Regretfully, many of our male shooters do not have the trim waistline we used to.  If I had shotgun loops on my gun belt, I would have to search under my ample belly to find my shotgun shells.  

+1 on the Lady Teq rig for her...and the LH9 rig is great for a mans rig, coupled with one of Kirkpatricks nice SG belts.  Lots of good holster makers out there..Doc Noper comes to mind, bought two sg belts from him in last 12 months.  

I've been shooting CAS for 20 years, this year. 4 different categories and 4 different belts throughout the years. It takes a while to find a belt that is the "be all end all" of cowboy belts. I've ended up with a web belt, Black Hills holsters and cartridge slides in .38 Spl & 12 gauge. Good luck on buying once!

Archived