SASS Wire Forum

Prices on the Colt SAA

Kirk James

Was just looking at the price of a 3rd gen SAA Colt on several of the firearm brokers and it appears the price of a new or like new Colt has gone up significantly. There appears to be a lot for sale. I read earlier that the Colt factory is not manufacturing as many single action firearms and only in a few calibers. The prices listed are over $2000 for an early third or new Colt in just about any caliber or barrel length. Are there any new recent developments, or is just supply and demand?

From what I heard several years ago Colt sold all of their tooling to Pietta. They make the parts for Colt but they're assembled here and tweeked on here....engraving...custom touches etc. That's probably why they're so pricey. They only turn out X number a year while they concentrate on Military contracts.

I found my Colt here on the SASS wire this year.

As new in the box .

At a much better price then whats selling on the gun sights.

If you are looking for something special .

I would recommend making a post on the SASS wire

And say what you are looking for.

You might be suprised.

Have a Marry Christmas.

God bless .

From what I heard several years ago Colt sold all of their tooling to Pietta. They make the parts for Colt but they're assembled here and tweeked on here....engraving...custom touches etc. That's probably why they're so pricey. They only turn out X number a year while they concentrate on Military contracts.

Where in the world did you hear that???? :wacko:

This is another one of those baseless rumors that couldn't be further from the truth.

As for the current prices, $2000 nib is the going rate on gun broker. If you're looking for a shooter rather than a collectors item, posting an ad here or on colt forum is your best bet. Then you're looking at 1400-1600 range

This is another one of those baseless rumors that couldn't be further from the truth.

As for the current prices, $2000 nib is the going rate on gun broker. If you're looking for a shooter rather than a collectors item, posting an ad here or on colt forum is your best bet. Then you're looking at 1400-1600 range

That's what I thought Redwood!! You're correct on the pricing. I bought two Colts here on the wire, one for 1150.00 and the other for 1600.00 (it had 2 cylinders with it) I have another that I bought a while back for some trading and turned out to be a GREAT deal!!

I'm still looking for another in .44-40!!!

That's with a 2 year or longer wait, though

That's with a 2 year or longer wait, though

2 years???? Wow that's longer than I thought!!What the H$#@ takes 'em so long??? It can't take two years to make one and I doubt they're that behind on orders. Maybe they just have 2 guys working in the custom shop on saa's??? :P

• Like 1

HOGWASH :excl:

Who was the source for this?

OLG

2 years???? Wow that's longer than I thought!!What the H$#@ takes 'em so long??? It can't take two years to make one and I doubt they're that behind on orders. Maybe they just have 2 guys working in the custom shop on saa's??? :P

Actually that is all they have. You can't run a production line making one or two guns a day. They have to wait until they get enough orders to make it worthwhile to run off a batch. I talked to the Colt Custom shop guy at length at the last Shot Show and he said there were, in fact, only two people that work on the SAA.

Howdy,

I just had very good luck on gb.

It pays to know ezzactly what you want

know a fair price when you see it

and Grab it when the deal is right.

Now it might take a while to find that right one but it sure

didn't take me any two years, more like three months.

Colt is so well known that a real low price is rare.

Think of it like fishing.

Best

CR

And one has to wonder why Colt filed bankruptcy again.

Most companies would be very envious to have a product that the public has demanded for 143 years, but Colt screws that up with ever-increasing prices and a ridiculous lead time.

Could they keep 6 to 10 workers busy making a $750 version of the SAA (not the cheapened Colt Cowboy)? Higher volumes would dramatically cut administrative and fixed costs.

• Like 2

Actually that is all they have. You can't run a production line making one or two guns a day. They have to wait until they get enough orders to make it worthwhile to run off a batch. I talked to the Colt Custom shop guy at length at the last Shot Show and he said there were, in fact, only two people that work on the SAA.

Interesting, thanks for that! ;)

Howdy,

thanks for getting me to search and look at a boatload of colts.

Its strange how there can be SO many up for sale and the prices still high.

look at gb for colt saa or colt ssa and there are just all kinds of prices and options.

Still one of my favorites IS a colt 1911....sure reliable fun and never jams.

I know all the non colts are fashionable but that one is a keeper and I have

found out its whole history over the years.

I just happened to have a little repair done at the exact shop that orig sold that one.

Go figure.

If you want a colt get the darn colt not imitations no how.

Not just a gun, a tiny piece of history.

Best

CR

Doesn't look like a 4 3/4" .44 spl is on the list. :(

I have this one myself :-)

Hiclok45 just got 3 made up. He didn't exactly say how long it took but it was somewhat less than 2 years.

Yep, he said he talked to the Custom Shop and they got them out a little faster than the usual 2 years. He also got a price break from Eagle Grips and El Paso Saddlery. Seems like us "normal" folks would have to do the full wait, and pay full price for our grips and holsters. Oh well.

Edited by McCandless

I'm probably going to sell the .45 I bought from the Custom Shop 7-1/2" BPF with beveled cylinder. I bought a pair of .38-40 from them and I'm going to stick with those. They do darned good work, you just need patience.

Was just looking at the price of a 3rd gen SAA Colt on several of the firearm brokers and it appears the price of a new or like new Colt has gone up significantly. There appears to be a lot for sale. I read earlier that the Colt factory is not manufacturing as many single action firearms and only in a few calibers. The prices listed are over $2000 for an early third or new Colt in just about any caliber or barrel length. Are there any new recent developments, or is just supply and demand?

That's kinda... exhorbitant... to me. I got ten unfired Colt SAA's (along with Frontier Six Shooters)... and I didn't pay near that much. Somethin' just don't sound right on them auction sites.

ts

Yep, he said he talked to the Custom Shop and they got them out a little faster than the usual 2 years. He also got a price break from Eagle Grips and El Paso Saddlery. Seems like us "normal" folks would have to do the full wait, and pay full price for our grips and holsters. Oh well.

Then again us normal folks probably wouldn't get word of mouth out to tens of thousands of interested folks, so what they traded for advertising might just be a fair trade!

SC

That's kinda... exhorbitant... to me. I got ten unfired Colt SAA's (along with Frontier Six Shooters)... and I didn't pay near that much. Somethin' just don't sound right on them auction sites.

ts

Those are "asking" prices, if you're serious I betcha they take way less money! ;)

• Like 1

Then again us normal folks probably wouldn't get word of mouth out to tens of thousands of interested folks, so what they traded for advertising might just be a fair trade!

SC

Exactly. Hickock45 has 400,000 something followers? That's a lot of prime demographic advertising there for next to nothing

Everything having to do with this sport has gone up since I started, so why not Colts?

I bought my first Colt in 1998, it was $1000.00 NIB.....a couple years later then shot up to $1500.00....a couple years later they were a bit lower like maybe around 1200-1300, now they seem to be on the rise again! Demand is higher than supply!

Colt list price is $1499

Seems they have serious sales issues, gee I wonder why. Colt could handle the market if they wanted.

I may try a test and see how quick that I can purchase a set!

Edited by elkoholic

Colt list price is $1499

Seems they have serious sales issues, gee I wonder why. Colt could handle the market if they wanted.

I may try a test and see how quick that I can purchase a set!

I'll betcha they take a year or more for new ones from the custom shop!

I'll betcha they take a year or more for new ones from the custom shop!

More like two years now. And that's after you get your quote. It could take months just to get a quote.

As some of you know we all shoot Ruger's in competition, but I love the feel of a Colt. Just had Bob James do an action job last year on a Colt I purchased some 20 years ago. Incredible! It is an early 3rd and I will be shooting it. It was unfired and paid $850. A few years later I purchased a 5 1/2 inch early 3rd in 44-40 with an extra 44 special cylinder for $1250. Both were unfired. Every once in while I check to see what the Brokers are selling them for and was wondering why the sudden increase. Thanks for your responses.

I bought a brace of consecutively numbered SAAs in .45 Colt (4.75 in. barrels) off the SASS classifieds for $2400, 6 yrs ago. The prices seem to fluctuate a lot. It seems to be a right time, right place sort of thing.

• Like 2