SASS Wire Forum

Prices on the Colt SAA

Kirk James

Colt SAA the gun that beat inflation.

Depending on where you check an ounce of gold in 1873 was about $20+ US and a SAA was about $17 US. Those numbers are close enough for government work.

Last year (2016) an ounce of gold was about $1200 US and you all know what a SAA will cost.

I have two and should have bought more.

Stoney

• Like 1

Bought my first in 1972, paid $225 (NIB) at a local shop. Bought a second one in the mid '90s for $650 (also NIB). If I were to order one today it would be a MSRP of $1499. Let's see, in 1974 I bought a new p/u, it was $5500, bought another in 1988, it was

$18,300. Lastly I bought a 3rd new p/u in 2005, it was $51K and some change. Now explain to me why Colt's are over-priced?

Bought my first in 1972, paid $225 (NIB) at a local shop. Bought a second one in the mid '90s for $650 (also NIB). If I were to order one today it would be a MSRP of $1499. Let's see, in 1974 I bought a new p/u, it was $5500, bought another in 1988, it was

$18,300. Lastly I bought a 3rd new p/u in 2005, it was $51K and some change. Now explain to me why Colt's are over-priced?

That's easy. A SAA from the Colt Custom Shop today costs nearly three times what my Smoke Wagons cost. While I've no doubt that the Colts have had more attention to detail, mine go bang every time and they feel slicker than snot, so are the Colts REALLY three times more valuable?

I'd love to have and fondle a real Colt, but as long as I remember to grease my cylinder bushing, my Smoke Wagons will make it through a match of full-bore Holy Blacks without slowing down, so you'll never convince me that a real Colt is worth three times the cost of a modern Italian repro.

It matters not how their prices compare to 1973 or even 1873. When Colt starts selling them at competitive prices, I'll be the first in line. :)

Yep... that is completely understandable... Why some guys drive Fords/Chevys/Dodges and others drive Datsuns & Toyotas. :ph34r: Except... if you want a .357 or 45 Colt SAA, they don't have to be ordered thru the Custom Shop. Have a MSRP of $1499. Which is slightly less than 3 times the price of your Italian import. And 40 years ago a Italian revolver sold for just a little over $100... roughly half the cost of my 1st Colt. So... what you're saying, is that my Colt has appreciated in value? :D:D Thanks.

What the heck is a p/u ???

City fellar, huh? ;)

Yep... that is completely understandable... Why some guys drive Fords/Chevys/Dodges and others drive Datsuns & Toyotas. :ph34r: Except... if you want a .357 or 45 Colt SAA, they don't have to be ordered thru the Custom Shop. Have a MSRP of $1499. Which is slightly less than 3 times the price of your Italian import. And 40 years ago a Italian revolver sold for just a little over $100... roughly half the cost of my 1st Colt. So... what you're saying, is that my Colt has appreciated in value? :D:D Thanks.

City fellar, huh? ;)

'burbs :lol:

That's easy. A SAA from the Colt Custom Shop today costs nearly three times what my Smoke Wagons cost. While I've no doubt that the Colts have had more attention to detail, mine go bang every time and they feel slicker than snot, so are the Colts REALLY three times more valuable?

I'd love to have and fondle a real Colt, but as long as I remember to grease my cylinder bushing, my Smoke Wagons will make it through a match of full-bore Holy Blacks without slowing down, so you'll never convince me that a real Colt is worth three times the cost of a modern Italian repro.

It matters not how their prices compare to 1973 or even 1873. When Colt starts selling them at competitive prices, I'll be the first in line. :)

Having both smoke wagons and colts, I'll say that in my opinion, colts are at least twice as good. Three times? Maybe, but I paid just about $700 each for my smoke wagons after work and $1400 about for colts. I guess the value really comes down to what feels better in your hand, which to me is easily 2-3 times worth the price. But we all have to make that decision for ourselves. That's why there are so many different guns available to us.

Having both smoke wagons and colts, I'll say that in my opinion, colts are at least twice as good. Three times? Maybe, but I paid just about $700 each for my smoke wagons after work and $1400 about for colts. I guess the value really comes down to what feels better in your hand, which to me is easily 2-3 times worth the price. But we all have to make that decision for ourselves. That's why there are so many different guns available to us.

According to a few gunsmiths that I trust the parts that Colt uses are harder. They last longer than the Italian clones. The metals used in the clones are softer. Evidence of that is how easy you can buger up a screw on an Uberti but not so easy on a Colt. I agree Redwood, the feel of a Colt is uncomparable.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

I remember with Quigley Down Under came out and the waiting list for a C or Shiloh Sharps went to a 5 years. Shortly after that the prices started rising. One nice thing about it was you could put down a deposit and get the price locked in with a C Sharps and they would notify you of a price increase. C Sharps make it so you had the opportunity to pay it off in case of an increase. I seem to remember the price increased a bit before I received the rifle and it was a great investment. My wife let me know it is only an investment if you a willing to sell.

I bought a used 2nd generation Colt SAA .45 5½in bbl to celebrate my 21st birthday. (that was a few years back) Paid $200. Still have it along with the Bianchi Gunfighter rig. Love to have a match for it but alas, I'll just have to wait in line if prices come back down.

Edited by Sixgun Seamus