SASS Wire Forum

Hoss

At our monthly matches, we have a shooter or 2 who are habitually late. usually show up around the time we have split into posses or even started shooting. They have obviously missed the safety briefing, but are experienced shooters. While I know its easy to say "you missed the safety briefing, you aint shooting", in reality, that's a hard thing to actually do. I And, where do you draw the line? we all know there are times when a shooter runs a few minutes late. I know almost every match says "mandatory safety meeting" yet I also know no "roll" is kept, and I've seen people miss those as well, even at state level matches.

Obviously if a brand new shooter arrived, we would not just let them start shooting without assigning an experienced club member to mentor them thru the match. I'm talking about experienced shooters who just cant seem to make it to the range on time.

We have considered putting in a rule that if you aren't there when the posses break, you don't shoot the first stage. or should we set a hard time and if you aren't signed up by then you don't shoot that match, Period

I'm sure this is not a situation unique to our club. I'm just trying to see what others do.

We've told them about the rule and said we would be enforcing it from here on out

next month we closed registration on time and when they showed up told them it was too late to sign up

did it in a nice fashion but were firm and also did it out of sight of others

following month they were on time

course one hasn't been back since then

YMMV

cr

First time around for a shooter, a club officer talks to them in private and explains that we require shooters to sign in before we have a "club meeting and safety review." And that attending that meeting is mandatory to be able to shoot that day.

Then for a regular shooter, we work them in and if needed, let them shoot their first stage or two after the rest of the match is complete.

A new shooter? "Well, pard, glad to see ya, but we really have to have you here for the initial safety meeting before you can shoot on any match day. SASS requirements, don't cha know? But, we'll be glad to work with you, and if you stick around, you'll most likely get to shoot something, with appropriate instruction...."

Then, for anyone late a second time, we just use the signup process to act as our gate. "Sorry, signup is closed as we are ready to begin (have begun) our club meeting."

Every email notice of our matches contains a time at which the club meeting is to start.

Over the years, we've had two pards who wanted to slam in right before lead was to go down range. They either adapted or stopped coming. Both choices were good by us.

Good luck, GJ

I say make it mandatory that every shooter be there on time for the safety briefing..the shooters have have been there they know how long it takes to get to the range take off a little earlier if need be..I understand if you had a flat tire or something happened a least a phone call for a heads up...I know this is a hobby not like a job or something but following rules makes everything easier..we are adults

So, just curious. Do you call roll at the safety meeting to ensure that no shooters are in the john, at their car getting ready, down on the line scoping out stages, in the scoring shed getting the posse sheets together? Goose and gander type thing, don't you know. I agree that someone who is habitually late should be dealt with in some manner, but to not allow someone to shoot who may have hundreds if not thousands of shoots under his/her belt seems a little arbitrary to me.

Safety meetings may be required by insurance policies. There may be a liability issue here.

So, just curious. Do you call roll at the safety meeting to ensure that no shooters are in the john, at their car getting ready, down on the line scoping out stages, in the scoring shed getting the posse sheets together? Goose and gander type thing, don't you know. I agree that someone who is habitually late should be dealt with in some manner, but to not allow someone to shoot who may have hundreds if not thousands of shoots under his/her belt seems a little arbitrary to me.

Nope, we're not going to lock out one of our regulars. But we can see folks driving down the hill at Founder's Ranch after we start the meeting. The whole crowd turns and watches and even points, usually. :lol:

This really takes care of itself. If a shooter has been out on the range looking around, we just give him the evil eye for missing the meeting, and if we are really feeling ornery, we give him a pop quiz to see if he knows what was discussed at the meeting. :lol::ph34r: This is the responsibility of the individual shooter to attend. Keep the meetings short and sweet, and folks will give you most of their attention.

Good luck, GJ

I'm with you Goody, a shooter who is on the range but maybe otherwise occupied for whatever reason I don't have a problem with. Its the 1 or 2 shooters who habitually show up late, creates more work for the person setting up posses, registrar, treasurer, all of whom are already done with their pre-match tasks and are getting ready to shoot themselves. (well, not themselves, but the targets!!!) that it creates a problems for.

If they habitually show up late that also means that they were not present to help set up targets. These people also seam to have to leave right after the shooing is done because of some reason or other. Those are the ones that bug me.

next month we closed registration on time and when they showed up told them it was too late to sign up

YMMV

cr

Then, for anyone late a second time, we just use the signup process to act as our gate. "Sorry, signup is closed as we are ready to begin (have begun) our club meeting."

Good luck, GJ

That works for me. I've only seen this once at our club. MD asked to speak in private to the dad ( him and two sons shooting). All things good and sent to fastest posse, never happened again. On the other hand I have been running late a couple of times to a local match about 2.5 hours from me. What I did? When I realized I was not gonna make it unless I cranked it up to about 80mph, I called one of the club board members and asked if it would be ok for them to pay for my registration and that I should be able to make it before the first stage started. If not ok then I could turn around and save a long trip. No harm, no foul. I knew the rule but I asked instead of just showing up. From then on if I can't hit the road on time and hope to catch all the lights green I just stay home :) The older you get the longer it takes to get outta the house sometimes ;) Someone habitually abusing yer good nature without at least a call would grow tiresome, especially when sign up, score sheets and scoring are done on a computer by someone volunteering their time. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Hi Folks,

I always attend the matches where I am an officer. I'm usually the first person there. When I attend other matches, I allow, at least 30 minutes before the match to unload and sign in. The first thing I do is sign in, if they are ready. That way, I know I will not hold anything up.

My home club's attendance is rarely more than two posses. This venue has CAS matches every weekend and there are nearby CAS matches the same day and the day after. So, I would hesitate to turn anyone away.

As I help with sign up, the late comers can be a problem as they make us, at signup, late to the shooter's meeting or delay the meeting and cause the match to start late, which is an imposition to everyone else. If they are really late, either I or the Treasurer have to get them signed in (posse assignment, range waiver, and fees).

Luckily, I can't remember someone who is always late. However, if any of the people who are frequently late are reading this thread, please will try harder to be sufficiently early to not delay the match and allow time for sign in. Being late can effect the entire group or, at a minimum, the people at sign up.

Sincerely,

Allie

My home club has really dropped in attendance the last couple of years. Some matches we get a whole TWELVE shooters. Sometimes just seven or eight. If someone shows up a little late, they are welcomed with open arms and even hugs and kisses.

Turn them away?? Absolutely not. Sign em up and add em to the shooters list yepper!!

Coffinmaker

Since our life/work schedule is so fluid, I've not been able to get signed up with a 'home club' yet. Now that we are somewhat settled in TX, I hope to get a home club lined up soon.

All the matches I have been to in WY, ID, CO, IL, AZ, I am always there early and even help with setup (and tear down). It's a lot of work for generally a few people so why not help out? It sure fosters good relations and makes folks happy to get some help.

I think that folks being habitually late should be subject to penalty. A simple, "Sorry, registration is closed. Hopefully you can make it on time next match." should get the point across.

I can not believe this is a real issue at monthly matches. At all the places I shoot, folks coming late are worked into a posse usually their choice with no fuss, in fact most on the posse that grew did not even recognize it got larger by one. I can not remember any useful safety information at the shooters meeting. Since clubs adopted SASS rules only, not much to say. Some clubs have a safety area to work on guns or medical equipment location, or a land line phone since no cell service, but once you are there you already know it. Shooters meetings have mostly evolved into announcements of upcoming events for other clubs, this club, anything unique about a particular stage so everyone is in sync, what berm area each posse starts on, upcoming club events (not CAS), and finally the flag salute, go shoot, etc.

I don't know of any 'habitually' late comers here but it is common for someone to call the MD or another shooter to let them know they are coming but will be late for some reason. I've done it myself and it just seems the right thing to do.

If there were someone who was frequently late then the MD or other tactful person should address that with them quietly, politely, and in private. Appeal to their sense of fairness and consideration of the rest of us. If that didn't work then I suspect they have lost their 'cowboy' way and perhaps they need to be omitted from the first stage with a DNF or SDQ. I would not advocate turning them away completely as that would indicate the we have lost our 'cowboy' way.

At many of our matches I'm late as I usually have to work from 4am to 9am then drive an hour to get to the range. I'm always signed up ahead of time and usually get there in time to be the last shooter on the first stage. I really enjoy getting there early if I don't have to work and many times do the new shooter orientation before the match. I appreciate being allowed to shoot when I have to work otherwise I'd be able to shoot very few matches.

I know this is not what the original post is about but if you draw a line in the sand it might stop some folks from being able to shoot.

Thanks

Randy

At many of our matches I'm late as I usually have to work from 4am to 9am then drive an hour to get to the range. I'm always signed up ahead of time and usually get there in time to be the last shooter on the first stage. I really enjoy getting there early if I don't have to work and many times do the new shooter orientation before the match. I appreciate being allowed to shoot when I have to work otherwise I'd be able to shoot very few matches.

I know this is not what the original post is about but if you draw a line in the sand it might stop some folks from being able to shoot.

Thanks

Randy

The last thing I want to do is lose a shooter. And your case is certainly different. I'm sure any club would work with you, even if it meant going back to stage 1 or 2 after the match. I'm refering to shooters who just arrive late every match with no reason/excuse etc. trust me, I don't want to be a hard*** , I'm just looking for ways to encourage folks to be on time.

I've not made it a rule but it's been a while since I've shot a monthly match. Just too must work too early in the morning to make it worth while for me. Nearest sass match is around 1-1:30 hours away even if I'm in Abq for the monthly match weekeekends I'm usually 45 or away from the ranges and I'm nota morning person anymore. I too try to arrive 30 minutes prior to signup to unload gear, say hi, use restroom prior to harnessing up etc. but traffic and life can interfere. If they are local I can see being strict and if it's everytime but if it seems like everytime but in reality it every two to three matches traffic over 75 miles can very unknowingly but why get there before the locals just to be sure. I'm not able to move steel so it's understood that I'm not going to get in the way trying

The last thing I want to do is lose a shooter. And your case is certainly different. I'm sure any club would work with you, even if it meant going back to stage 1 or 2 after the match. I'm refering to shooters who just arrive late every match with no reason/excuse etc. trust me, I don't want to be a hard*** , I'm just looking for ways to encourage folks to be on time.

I agree that people that are always late for no reason cause a lot of extra work for those getting registration and posse lists done and cause unneccesary delays but I don't know the best way to handle it.

Thanks

Randy

Some folks just seem to be late for everything, all the time. That's just their way and we just have to accept it.

Perhaps you can encourage folks to call ahead if they think they'll be late so you'll at least know they're coming and it will be a little less annoying than them showing up late and unexpected.

I have presided over a lot of meetings in my life and one thing I have learned is that. If you always start a meeting later than the stated time then lots of people will be late because they know that they don't have to be on time either. But if you always start your meetings on time people will realize this and they will be on time for the start of the meeting. The same goes for our shoots.

To call you need a number that will be at the ranch everytime. I know a lot of clubs loose there experience workers for annual matches in the area on that weekend I can think of several that loose the normal bosses for those so what does the club do buy a cell phone or even if given one they would need to pay the monthly fees.out the your lucky to have a outhouse much less water or electricity sure not gonna have a telephone

I agree if you post a time and location for the meeting do not change them arbitrarily. I was at a regional this year that stated a time and place for the safety mmtg but instead of walking over to it the used the decking around the building but it was several minutes before someone came to the designated area to tell those there that the location was changed. I agree if your late starting the safety mtg then shooters will begin to exspect that it will be late and adjust for it. It might be my military history and if we were on time we were 15 minutes late. In other words be ready to go at the announced time not showing up it does two things shows disrespect for both the meeting and those attending it. Is your time more valuable than anyone else's no.

My biggest reason for being late is I forgot something and had to go back fo it. That's why I like the schedule for eot that I've had the past few years late go the first day that gives me all day to load up everything think about it grab what I forgot then head out early to be ready when the safety mtg goes off. Mid go the second daynot early but not late either getting me in the habit of what I need to do with some time to do it, then early the last day that way I'm up everything should be ready to load up if it isn't loaded already then done early enough if I'm not staying for the evening events or the awards the next day I can make it home at a decent hour. The years where I were staying in the motel I find out that it was my schedule I would load up after the second day except what was needed that night and the next morning and the guns or anything that wasn't lockable then load up the third morning check out head to the range roll the back glass open for the dog headache rack keeps her hin and unwanted ou except dust but it's going to make it in anyway. Shoot pack up Lynette the dog walk around load her up head home. Now with the Motorhome the rush to leave may not be so strong unless we looks bad.

If it's one of our regular shooters that show up late; I would add them into Aces and get going, no harm no foul.

If a new shooter showed up late; I would take them aside and give them a safety meeting and get them started.

If someone made a habit out of showing up late; I would have a huge problem with it and would ask that they stick around after the match and help us with tear down.

We are a small club with low attendance; we can't afford to turn away shooters.

If you turn away shooters just because they're late aren't you "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?? Take their money and call it a good day!! ;)

some additional thoughts:

I was talking a

We've told them about the rule and said we would be enforcing it from here on out

following month they were on time

course one hasn't been back since then

YMMV

cr

Some clarifications:

As OP mentioned I am talking of the habitually late shooters. If a regular cowboy is late then you see if he needs help and 'drive on.'

Everyone, pretty much, will run into trouble, or a moose, now and then. Cowboy Way says to help not hinder them. p.s. moose burgers aren't near as good as cow burgers

Positive reinforcement is always the first approach.

cr

when someone arrives late, ask for his poker chip given out at the safetymeeting,,, and say, no chip, no shoot,,, the watch his face... hehe

Archived