SASS Wire Forum

TAURUS PUMP VALUE

Dirty Doc, SASS #18176

Long time, no write. Daughter finished grad school so I can play again. I found a Taurus 45C pump in 45 Colt with a Green river (Valley?) barrel owned by a gunsmith. He was using it for a hog gun in another state & traded it to the store where I found it during a sporting clays trip. WHEW! They's asking $599 fer it and it's been 7 or so years since I was in the game and know NOTHING about these critters other than my relative affinity for my Chinrester model 62s. Can any one give me advise on this pump. Maybe others. I am retired and on a budget, so exotic is not a choice. I prefer 38-40 or 44-40, but no such animal within reason. Thanks a million, Dirty Doc :FlagAm:

Taurus?

Better odds being the sole winner of powerball with a single ticket purchased on a whim, than having success with a Taurus pump rifle in this game from what I've always read.

Taurus=tomato stake.

Lassiter uses a Taurus. Don't look like no tomato stake in his hands!!!

Yeah but, LASSITER turned the tomato stake into a rifle.

And that's the key boys. They pretty much ALL need to be tuned by a master such as Lassiter. I was talking to him last weekend and he was saying that each (manufacturer) has inherent issues that must be dealt with for them to run at a high level in our game.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 22, 2016 - go fund me
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 22, 2016 - go fund me

Dont waist your time on any off the pumps

Or any of the modern Henry rifles .

The just dont work .

Some can speend big dollars on them with a knowledgeable gun smith and make them work OK .

But you are much better off buying something that works to start .

Please help out a down and out Pard .

http://gofundme.com/roncarpenter

Long time, no write. Daughter finished grad school so I can play again. I found a Taurus 45C pump in 45 Colt with a Green river (Valley?) barrel owned by a gunsmith. He was using it for a hog gun in another state & traded it to the store where I found it during a sporting clays trip. WHEW! They's asking $599 fer it and it's been 7 or so years since I was in the game and know NOTHING about these critters other than my relative affinity for my Chinrester model 62s. Can any one give me advise on this pump. Maybe others. I am retired and on a budget, so exotic is not a choice. I prefer 38-40 or 44-40, but no such animal within reason. Thanks a million, Dirty Doc :FlagAm:

Whatever the price of scrap wood and metal by weight is.

The Taurus Thunderbolt, 45LC to function properly has to be re-engineered by a competent gunsmith. I had mine done by Deadeye Dallas and it functions 'perfectly'

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=38558.0

+1 mine works also

If it's 45 colt pass on it they were the worst of the bunch I got one in storage. Lassiter got so he can smith the pumps including the thunderbolts pretty well. I spoke to him about sending him mine in 45 colt he advised me to put it away he said the 38s and bottle neck cartridge guns were manageable but the 45 was just too big for the action and then no way to prevent blowback usually with sass loads. So mine is getting ready to be locked away at my daughters if things go right.

Here's the bottom line:

* Unless the Thunderbolt is completely re-engineered it is not a reliable match rifle

So, defer the purchase of one unless you can find a smith to re-engineer it like Deadeye Dallas did on mine and spend the money to do the complete work over.

Dallas no longer is working on the Thunderbolts

If you are dead set on a pump (and I assume you mean a Lightning clone), and want it to work out of the box, go Pedersoli and if you can't find one go Uberti. However, you said you are a bit constrained $$ wise, so I agree with the others to pass on it unless you want to dump $$ into later to have it worked on. RR

If you are dead set on a pump (and I assume you mean a Lightning clone), and want it to work out of the box, go Pedersoli and if you can't find one go Uberti. However, you said you are a bit constrained $$ wise, so I agree with the others to pass on it unless you want to dump $$ into later to have it worked on. RR

:unsure::) WOW! I had forgot how helpful cowboys were. I have a nice collection of old to new Chinresters and Marlins, way old to new, originals and Ubertis; every caliber from 38/357 reworked SRCs to 44WCF. 38WCF is my favorite. No blow back issues with 73 or 94s in 45 Colt, my least favorite lever round. I like original configurations and would NEVER entertain a short stroke kit; THAT becomes an external entity. What I've figured from the input is that even if the gunsmith did it right, I would still risk blow-back, unacceptable. My main question was cost. My mechanic can mount a 44-40 barrel, but would it cycle with the 45 bolt face? Is $599 to high to have it worked on? I see the Peders and Ubers at well over a thousand. I grew up with a 62 Chinrester and LOVED to slam fire multiple cans with it. Thought I might like something odd and different, not aggrevating and blinding.Any advise on this gun as a starter, or what will slam fire in 38 or 44 W.C.F. (not in competition). Thanks again, Dirty Doc.

Pass on the Thunderbolt in 45 Colt. 599 is to much money for a wall hanger. It will cost about that much to have it tuned to run and it will still jam once in a while. When it hangs up you have to take it apart to clear it. Taurus will not repair the Thunderbolt and I have not found replacement parts. The rifle I have does not blow back with full power 45 colt loads but reduce pressure slightly and you get a little poof in the face with each pull of the trigger.

I would spend that money on a nice Rossi 92 if a 73 was out of my reach.

If your this serious talk to Lassiter first he's one of the nicest guys out there and will tell you what you want to do is possible and what it will cost if he does it. I've known him a decade and usually have every one of he's mods on bat least one of my guns and he wouldn't touch the thunderbolt 45. Changing the caliber might change his answer as the bottle neck cartridges do work better and prevent mist of the blow back

Archived