SASS Wire Forum

Shoot or no shoot

On the 3rd day of the match, I was on the 10th and last stage with a clean match going. I got my guns and went to the loading table. I had studied the stage but something came over me that said "I'm not ready." I started to load my pistols but that same phrase kept repeating itself. There was a shooter in front of me ready to go and one behind me also loading.

My question is about protocol. Once I am in line at the loading table, even if not fully loaded, is it legal to ask the guy behind me to shoot in front of me because I'm not ready? Or once in line am I required to shoot in that order?

I assume if I have a legitimate gun problem, the guy behind me should go ahead of me so as not to hold up the match waiting for me.

Even when I staged my guns, the phrase kept repeating in my head and I just could not get it to stop. End result, I missed one shot. What is the rule or what would you do? This never happened before in all my years.

Take Aim

If you're not ready - you're not ready.

Unload, push your guns to the side and step out of line to collect your thoughts.

If you're not ready - you're not ready.

Unload, push your guns to the side and step out of line to collect your thoughts.

+1, We are human and our short-term memory is sometimes weak.

Yes, if you're not ready, step aside and let others go until you are. Some outfits seem so all fired up on their "shoot-in-order" deal that they don't allow a person to prepare properly. No SASS rule, but sometimes, uncommon good sense should overcome silly club rules. Not that I'm biased... :ph34r:

Every time I shoot when I'm not ready, I screw something up... wait until you are ready (within reason)

Snakebite

Having shot in a 'shoot in order' club most of my SASS life, I can tell you that if someone asked for pretty much any reason to wait or be moved in the order they were happily accommodated.

If you aren't ready, you aren't ready.

But it does put a little pressure on the guy behind you who may not be ready just yet either...

If I'm not ready I'll ask the shooter behind me if they mind shooting thru I'm not ready. In my case it is usually catching my breath or letting a spasm in my back subside. I did it on several stages at winter range. Most are in a hurry to shoot anyway.

I've been shooting for over a decade now. I usually try to shoot with the same group as early on I had several bad posse experiences and it affected my shooting so I haven't been on a posse that shoot in order in years didn't think they even did it anymore. But if the posse agreed to shoot in the order of the scoresheet and I wasn't ready they would have to go ahead and drop me. This can be dangerous if we're not on top of everything and not be ready is the first step in a trainwreck or worst.

I believe all clubs should be "Shoot when ready"..

I pretty much like going last to shoot a stage. The clubs that go in order usually go alphabetically. Just because my alias starts with a B I shouldn't have to be one of the first to go.

If something doesn't feel right. Step away.. take a minute..no harm.. but like Grizz said might put more pressure on the guy behind you.. try to be ready once you go to the loading table.

My two cents.. Bubba

The only thing I would add is if you aren't ready you should be weary of getting to the loading table. I have seen people get there and take up a lot of table space so it's hard for the people behind them to load only to be asked to go next. That puts everyone else behind you in a rush. (I'm not saying the OP has that intention......just making a point).

I'm also NOT saying you should shoot when you aren't ready.....please don't get me wrong. What I am saying is if you aren't 100% ready don't go to the loading table out of respect for others.

Of course unforeseen things can happen once you get to the table but no one would be concerned about that.

Not ready, wait!

Have shot at both "shoot in order" clubs as well as "shoot when ready" clubs. Personally, I overwhelmingly prefer the "shoot when ready" approach. I've heard the argument that it presents a problem with too many folks in line at once resulting in not enough workers to shag brass, spot, etc. But I've witnessed the same "problem" at shoot in order matches as well. That's where the Posse Marshall does his job and keeps the posse functioning as it should. Very easy issue to resolve. Also heard the argument that the score keeper doesn't know who is who. Another easy problem to overcome.

I've never heard anyone complain because they felt pressured or uncomfortable being able to choose when they want to shoot (first, middle, last). But have talked to a lot of folks who were uncomfortable being pressured or even forced to shoot when they weren't ready. Yes, I said forced. Once witnessed an RO tell a shooter that "we are shooting in order and unless you have a broke gun, you will shoot in order or not at all." (I will no longer shoot with that club or with that individual.) Have also been at "shoot in order" matches where, while they didn't tell someone that they had to take their turn in order, they made it obvious that they didn't like the fact that that shooter wasn't complying.

So to sum up my feelings, any perceived "problems" resulting from "shoot when ready" aren't truly "problems" but small issues that can easily be resolved, usually leading to a happier, less stressful atmosphere for more participants. And a happier, less stressful atmosphere is, in my opinion, a safer environment. :)

I've never shot at a "shoot in order" club and I probably wouldn't. I shoot when me and my equipment are ready to do so. If the scorer doesn't know my name, I'm happy to tell them as I stage my guns. If you're hanging out at your cart doing nothing when there's stage help needed, then you don't "get it." I'm either helping, loading, shooting, unloading or putting my stuff in the cart. But, I know when I'm ready to shoot. Sometimes it's early in the string and sometimes that's dead last.

Don't shoot until you and your equipment are ready. IMHO of course.

Chick

Archived