SASS Wire Forum

Time for a new mental game

Alpo

You're going to the lake for the weekend. What gun would you take, and how much ammo?

Andre Norton book. Kid - high school age. There's a road up by the lake, called "the Cut-Off". People have disappeared on that road, so locals don't go down it. Someone researched it, and there have been some fifty or so disappearances on that road, since folks been keeping records. People "gone and never seen again."

Some new people bought a house up there, and the only way to get to it is by the Cut-Off. The boy is at the local store buying some groceries, and a sweet thing stops in a jeep, to pick up some stuff for the party that night at the new house.

She's worried she might miss the turn, and she's cute, so the boy offers to show her the way. He'll ride his bike and she'll follow in the jeep. They are driving down the Cut-Off, and suddenly they aren't there any more. No road. Giant trees (as in "before axes and saws were here" giant) in the middle of where the road should be.

They can't take the jeep any farther, so they walk, pushing the boy's motorsickle, on down to the lake. Seeing a unicorn along the way.

Hmmmm, Toto.

The kid is thinking of what he has with him - matches, first aid kit, sheath knife, little bit of food he'd just got at the store. Ain't got no spare clothes or blankets or camping gear, because - hey - that stuff's at the cabin.

He ain't got a gun, but as I was reading it, I thought how comforting a gun would be in that case, and pondered on what I would take. To the lake for the weekend. On a motorcycle (so space was at a premium).

I decided on a 4" Smith 34 and two boxes of shells. More than a hundred rounds would be unnecessary, unless I was planning on "going shooting", and 22 shells take up so little room that LESS THAN a hundred rounds seems foolish. Be like taking only a dozen matches, instead of the whole "box of 32".

Remember - you're ON A MOTORCYCLE. Space is limited.

If it sounds intriguing, the book is Here Abide Monsters.

The book is fiction, you could take anything you wanted. Just pull it out of the saddlebags as needed.

But, I got to ask myself, why go into the"Bermuda Triangle" in the first place? I know, she is a good looking girl, guess I would have made the same mistake.

The book is fiction. The rules of the game are not. This game is not "what would you want if zapped into 'neverland'?" That is just what caused me to think of the game.

The game is simply - you are going to the lake, for a weekend, on a motorcycle. What gun, and how much ammo, would you bring?

The game is simply - you are going to the lake, for a weekend, on a motorcycle. What gun, and how much ammo, would you bring?

Depends on what I was going to do at the lake I guess. If I'm "just going" and not planning on doing any shooting, I'd have my 9mm Shield on me and a couple of loaded magazines. (20 rounds total.) If I thought there'd be an opportunity to do some plinking or there might be some troublesome varmints around (feral dogs, coyotes, etc.) I'd have extra pistol ammo, and also take AR-15 and 40 to 100 rounds for it. (I've got a short AR soft case that has straps to wear as a backpack. I've used it on the motorcycle. Awkward, but it works.)

If I expected bigger trouble I wouldn't be taking the bike, but if I absolutely had to I'd get a scabbard and take my PSL (think AK-47 that shoots Mosin-Nagant cartridges) and a hundred or two rounds of ammo.

By the way, thanks for the title. That's a Norton I haven't read yet. I can't let that go uncorrected!

Smith and Wesson Mountain Gun 45 LC with three speed loaders or 1911 with three extra mags. If I was expecting trouble, I probably wouldn't go.

On a motorcycle? I don't ride, but I think I could get by with a Ruger 10/22 Takedown and Mk. II pistol for fun, along with a brick or two of ammo, and 1911 for practice and whatever else may occur with a couple of boxes of ammo.

Alpo, Sir I love your choice of S&W 34 4in. Carry one with me all the time. GW

It sounds like I've just entered the Twilight Zone. 50 people have disappeared on that road and now the road just stops at the edge of the Forest primeval ! I'd probably haul my butt out of there. The story kind of leads me to think I would only have my carry gun as I wasn't planning to go until the honey trapped me. In that case I'd be stuck with my Charter Arms .38 undercover and two speed strips total 17 rounds of .38. Now if I get to stop by the house first I'd pick up my Browning High Power and a couple of mags.

That is a neat package.

I would take my Springfield Armory Scout M-6. 22 hornet and 410. But just going to the lake to hang out with a good looking girl, I really would not be thinking about guns. You know what I mean, Vern?

You know what I mean, Vern?

Lordy, I thought I'd heard the last of that. (grin)

I have one of those AR-7 rifles They don't cycle well on standard velocity ammo but other than that they're a breeze to shoot. I'd love to have an M-6 but they're getting hard to find unless you're willing to part with a kidney or something.

Lordy, I thought I'd heard the last of that. (grin)

I have one of those AR-7 rifles They don't cycle well on standard velocity ammo but other than that they're a breeze to shoot. I'd love to have an M-6 but they're getting hard to find unless you're willing to part with a kidney or something.

I don't need a kidney, but have been thinking about cutting it from the herd. I am torn on it. Fun little rifle.

Badger, you got to be one tuff old geezer to be able to haul your safe over your shoulder.

Remind me not to give you to many Mooseheads and chasers.

Hickok45 did a video on a good choice of motorcycle gun - the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle:

https://www.full30.com/video/188539647e3a1463a8aa1cab3c9d6b0b

Back when they were made by ArmaLite they were pretty spiffy. And cheap!

You're going to the lake for the weekend. What gun would you take, and how much ammo?

Andre Norton book. Kid - high school age. There's a road up by the lake, called "the Cut-Off". People have disappeared on that road, so locals don't go down it. Someone researched it, and there have been some fifty or so disappearances on that road, since folks been keeping records. People "gone and never seen again."

Some new people bought a house up there, and the only way to get to it is by the Cut-Off. The boy is at the local store buying some groceries, and a sweet thing stops in a jeep, to pick up some stuff for the party that night at the new house.

She's worried she might miss the turn, and she's cute, so the boy offers to show her the way. He'll ride his bike and she'll follow in the jeep. They are driving down the Cut-Off, and suddenly they aren't there any more. No road. Giant trees (as in "before axes and saws were here" giant) in the middle of where the road should be.

They can't take the jeep any farther, so they walk, pushing the boy's motorsickle, on down to the lake. Seeing a unicorn along the way.

Hmmmm, Toto.

The kid is thinking of what he has with him - matches, first aid kit, sheath knife, little bit of food he'd just got at the store. Ain't got no spare clothes or blankets or camping gear, because - hey - that stuff's at the cabin.

He ain't got a gun, but as I was reading it, I thought how comforting a gun would be in that case, and pondered on what I would take. To the lake for the weekend. On a motorcycle (so space was at a premium).

I decided on a 4" Smith 34 and two boxes of shells. More than a hundred rounds would be unnecessary, unless I was planning on "going shooting", and 22 shells take up so little room that LESS THAN a hundred rounds seems foolish. Be like taking only a dozen matches, instead of the whole "box of 32".

Remember - you're ON A MOTORCYCLE. Space is limited.

If it sounds intriguing, the book is Here Abide Monsters.

I've seen Goody arrive at a match, on his motorcycle, with 2 long guns, his revolvers, and everything he needs to shoot a match.

I'd take my Colt Commander (45ACP) with perhaps a 50 rd. box of ammo, AND the .22 LR conversion kit for the Commander and about 3 \or 4 boxes of .22LR.

Well better make that 6 boxes of .22!! Fun to shoot and we don't want to run out.

I haven't ridden a bike in almost 20 years but if I did I would be taking my S&W M&PC in 9mm. 2 12 round mags should be plenty! Great shooting gun, small enough to conceal but big enough to be a great shooter! I love my M&P!!!

Rye

Archived