SASS Wire Forum

Let's see your front stuffers

Utah Bob #35998

I have one I have had for over 30 years and never shot it.Bought some 440 balls and I am going to shoot it.If I could post pictures I would.

I love my muzzle loaders!

I've got four of them as of now. First pic is the first three from top down are from CVA kits I built back in the late 70's early 80's.... first is a .32 squirrel rifle, .58 mountain rifle, .45 Kentucky flintlock, and the fourth is my favorite... .36 Tennessee long flintlock rifle built by Matt Avance from TVM in Natchez, Ms. That rifle is a dream to shoot and more accurate than I'll ever be!!

0416d00a60e8f421fa8e58464fdcbda7_zpsyklw
DSC_2606_zpsd33ad689.jpg
DSC_2611_zpsc0d3b7b0.jpg
DSC_2618_zps18dbcfa5.jpg

I love my muzzle loaders!

I've got four of them as of now. First pic is the first three from top down are from CVA kits I built back in the late 70's early 80's.... first is a .32 squirrel rifle, .58 mountain rifle, .45 Kentucky flintlock, and the fourth is my favorite... .36 Tennessee long flintlock rifle built by Matt Avance from TVM in Natchez, Ms. That rifle is a dream to shoot and more accurate than I'll ever be!!

0416d00a60e8f421fa8e58464fdcbda7_zpsyklwDSC_2606_zpsd33ad689.jpgDSC_2611_zpsc0d3b7b0.jpgDSC_2618_zps18dbcfa5.jpg

Lovely! Great stock on the 36 cal.

Original '63 Springfield. I used to use it in CW Reenacting. Bit of a bulge in the barrel so I don't put and live founds through it. Probably from some green troop stuffing a double or worse load down it back in the day. Not unusual.

P0yx6Y.jpg

My dad got this back in the late 50's. Italian Navy Arms 58cal. Had never been shot till I got it out a few years back when mom sold the house. Was on the wall.

[/url]">http://http://s383.photobucket.com/user/dradbrown/media/010_zpsjbgcndl8.jpg.html'>010_zpsjbgcndl8.jpg

Sam, them locks are all on the wrong side.

Sold off my 1858 Two band enfield. So I got no pictures.

Them locks is just perrrrfect! A lefty shooting a right hand flinter is not a good thing. Tried it!

It sure is.1:66 twist for round balls. Shoots nice. I used to have a TC Renegade till my boy shot his first deer with it. Just couldn't take it back.....

It sounds strange hearing about CVA kits. I built a derringer kit when I was maybe ten, and a 54 caliber mountain rifle as a teen. Still have them both. Always wanted to build a Napoleon cannon but never got around to it.

Now all they make are synthetic stocked rifles with 209 primers. I know they're just selling what people want, but I still don't like it.

I built a CVA Mountain Rifle once. Spent a long time on it and did a nice job if I do say so. Gave it to my brother in law. He hung it on the wall and never shot it once. He got divorced a while ago. Haven't seen him since and don't know what happened to the gun. :(

Always thought that Lyman Great Plains rifle was the nuts. Michigan Slim got it right, the 1/66 in twist barrel is

the only way to go on one of those. Now, I can't tolerate the smoke from BP, and I would never shoot substitutes.

What they are selling now as in line are not my cup of tea at all.

Always thought that Lyman Great Plains rifle was the nuts. Michigan Slim got it right, the 1/66 in twist barrel is

the only way to go on one of those. Now, I can't tolerate the smoke from BP, and I would never shoot substitutes.

The Lyman can be dolled up even more. Mine are all "scratch built" so to speak but I did build a Lyman kit for a good friend. I took a lot of wood out to slim up the lines and give more flow and sculpted a line on the cheekpiece. Polished and tuned the lock and triggers and rust browned all the furniture. Also changed out the sights to achieve an even more traditional look. Probably the best off the shelf plains rifle out there.

Cant' stand the Buck Rogers guns either. The young guys eyes just roll up in the back up of their heads when I bring out my 50 caplock but it just keeps on killin deer.

YEP , a southpaw , shooting a right handed lock , be a mite spookey to me , being a southpaw

got a L/H Hawkins , Traditions , many years back , only one I could find , one of these days I will run across a L/H flinter ,

been reduced to shooting inlines , due to not being able to find much else

CB

The CVA mtn rifle was decent and pleasing to the eye. The TC Hawken was okay but traditionalist tend to shy away as it hardly resembles its namesake but they are very well made. In addition to my custom builts I have a couple of TC's for when the going gets tough. I almost lost the Caplock pictured above when another ATV slipped on a muddy slope and slammed into me. A busted hickory ramrod (the show-off one of course) was all that was hurt but it scared heck out of me. I don't carry it unless just walking anymore...the TC renegade gets the nod for rough stuff. The Renegade with its all steel furniture is my first choice behind the Lyman and you can still find GM slow twist drop ins for it.

Incidentally, there is a Lyman Great Plains caplock, left hand, on GB as I type. Hasn't been too long since a LH flinter kit was on so keep your eyes peeled. If you buy used ask hard questions about bore condition and don't accept "it should clean up nicely". A rough,pitted bore will only deal you misery.

In the custom realm its hard to beat what Brant Selb builds. Hawken

The Lyman can be dolled up even more. Mine are all "scratch built" so to speak but I did build a Lyman kit for a good friend. I took a lot of wood out to slim up the lines and give more flow and sculpted a line on the cheekpiece. Polished and tuned the lock and triggers and rust browned all the furniture. Also changed out the sights to achieve an even more traditional look. Probably the best off the shelf plains rifle out there.

Cant' stand the Buck Rogers guns either. The young guys eyes just roll up in the back up of their heads when I bring out my 50 caplock but it just keeps on killin deer.

Kinda of the point, Sam, ain't it? :D

I could have got a lefty caplock when I got the Great Plains but neither of my kids are lefties. I have a LH 11-87 and a Ruger M77 MkII in .270. If there is ever a LH grandkid they get those.

Right hand rifles dont bother me as long as the buttstock has no cheekpiece or portruding patchbox. Ive a shooting friend who actually prefers a left flinter. He says closing his left eye it obscures the flash and diminishes flinches. Guess it works as he will shoot a 45 or better on the six bull even with a borrowed rifle.

Black powder and buckhorn is the way to go. ;)

DadsBuck2013_zps24a1da39.png

Looks like mine: Lyman Great Plains .50 cal. Bought the first one I ever saw in about 1978 or '79. I was working at The Flintlock in Hobby City, Anahem, CA and I came to work at noon and three had come in that morning. They assembled them and hung them on the wall. Changed out the sights to a narrow silver blade front and a fixed iron full buckhorn rear. Shoots to point of aim at 100 yards with a load of 70-72 grains of GOEX FFFg, a double thickness patch of a Curity baby diaper, lubed with TC Spit Patch and a 490 round ball.

I added some small diameter tack decoration and stripped and browned the barrel. Aside from my dad's two guns and a '73 that my wife bought me, the Lyman will be the last to go.

I consistently outshot a friend's Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle with it..... until he went to a narrower front sight. Then it was touch and go who would beat who.

Oh, a muzzleloader photo thread. This warms my heart on a cold snowy Kentucky day. Here are some of the flintlocks I've built over the past few years. The last photo is one under construction now. It is number 16 that I've built.

P7130010.jpg

9751DE0D-DCD0-4519-81ED-E72B3AE00CFA_zps

PA020019.jpg

20150106_005606683_iOS_zpsdb20f6a6.jpg

IMG_2872_zpsx1aquvqs.jpg

20160122_102125_zpslqhzqipx.jpg

Thompson Center .50 Hawken. Bought in 1973 when I got out of Army. Intended to get into Rendevous activities. Didn't happen because of w**k.

That was my first muzzle loader. I bought it the morning after another Marine and I saw Jeremiah Johnson at a drive in outside the gates of Camp Lejeune in 1973. I gave it to my son in 1988 and it was stolen from him a year later.

Wonderful gun to start with and I know a few people who are still shooting them 40+ years later.

Oh, a muzzleloader photo thread. This warms my heart on a cold snowy Kentucky day. Here are some of the flintlocks I've built over the past few years. The last photo is one under construction now. It is number 16 that I've built.

Ok Guitar Slinger.... you have my attention sir! Beautiful rifles you've built!! Can you tell more about them? Built from parts or kit in the white so to speak? I've been thinking about building one. The three I built (in the photos above) were CVA kits... but I want to build another. Several folks make kits that I've looked at.

Thanks!

-JD

Ok Guitar Slinger.... you have my attention sir! Beautiful rifles you've built!! Can you tell more about them? Built from parts or kit in the white so to speak? I've been thinking about building one. The three I built (in the photos above) were CVA kits... but I want to build another. Several folks make kits that I've looked at.

Thanks!

-JD

JD,

I've built some from a block of wood and some from kits. Most I start with a rough cut stock with the barrel channel inlet. That saves me about 40 hours of work and honestly, inletting a barrel is pretty much grunt work and I don't see a lot of need to do it again when it costs just a few dollars to have it done (50 or less). I do not like kits where the lock is already inlet because then I cannot place the touch hole exactly where I want it in relation to the lock pan. Easier to do that and placing the triggers myself.

The first one is a smoothbore fowler. Cherry wood stock, 20 gauge (62 cal). 46" octagon to round barrel. Siler round face lock. single trigger Component parts set. Not really a kit however, the stock had the barrel channel inlet already and rough shaped. I did all the carving on the stock.

Next is a 40 cal Pennsylvania style rifle. Late lancaster style. 40 cal rice barrel, Siler lock. davis triggers. pretty fancy piece of wood. I did al lthe carving on the stock. After the photo was taken, I had a fellow do some engraving on the patch box, trigger guard and side plate.

Next one is a transitional Kentucky (Christians Springs style). Very early style rifle. 58 caliber barrel, Siler Jeager style lock, Davis triggers. I made the sliding wood patch box and did the carving. Below is a photo of the lion I carved on the cheek piece side.

Next is a 36 cal southern squirrel rifle. No special style, just a mish mash of southern style parts stuck together to make a rifle.

Last one is an experiment. I'm making the butt plate, toe plate, and ramrod thimbles out of copper. Been wanting to do it for a while and decided this winter was as good as any. It's a 32 caliber Getz barrel from the early 1980's that's been sitting around waiting on a rifle to be built. I picked it up from a friend. Stock is about as plain jane piece of maple as one can find. Siler late Ketland lock. Custom triggers I picked up at Friendship a couple years back. Should be a pretty representative southern "barn gun."

PA020009.jpg

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Nothing extraordinary here, other than the inline second from the bottom. It's a Pedersoli Gamma 9000, and I've never seen another one. If you do a Google search for it, most of the hits will be me looking for information on it. It's a .54 cal and has a slow, round ball twist of about 1:60. The plastic fantastic at the bottom is a Navy Arms .50, then from the top down is an Armisport 1861 Springfield .58, Investarm .58, Lyman GPR .54, T/C .54 - I also have a .32 barrel for this one, talk about the original bull barrel!, Traditions Shenandoah .50, Lyman GPR .50, Lyman GPR .54, Traditions Crockett .32.

100_1651_zpsuvsgyxsb.jpg

Archived