SASS Wire Forum

Getting scammed - the update

Hurricane Deck 100366

SASS members are a special breed.

I recently posted about my misfortunes dealing with an online transaction gone wrong, right as the Christmas season began. It was no small loss (by my standards) and I am in the throws of pressing charges, but the item was gone and so is the money. In all reality, I don't expect any real recovery but I'm continuing the fight.

Today, I received a letter from a SASS brother located in Texas. I'm not sharing his name as I'm not sure he want's the recognition personally, thought I'd love to see him take credit where it's due.

The envelope contained two items. the first was a letter that stated that he had read on wire how a no-good-low-life-thievin'-scoundrel had made off with my goods (though he summed up that desription in a single word - if you get my drift) and how it just didn't seem right. He then wished me a Merry Christmas and signed the letter.

The second item was a money order for a sum that more than covered my loss. It took me a minute to add the two together to realize that I had just received the gift of the SASS Christmas spirit. It's a powerful thing. Fogged my glasses right up. I would say it restored my faith in humanity, but what it really did was reinforce my faith in the brotherhood and sisterhood of SASS.

He had no dog in the fight, but seeing me being taken advantage of just didn't sit right with him. And whats a cowboy do when he see's someone being wronged? why, he steps in. Thats the code. Thats what we do. Thats what he did.

To my friend in Texas, I do more than tip my hat. You have my heartfelt thanks, my families heartfelt thanks. I will be paying it forward at the first opportunity.

My friend, Thank you!

That is a generous and precious thing that he did. I include you both in my prayers.

Merry Christmas and God bless you both.

Cat Brules

Good people are more common than bad ones. We just don't hear about them as often.

Agreed, we just seem to have a wonderfully high concentration of them in our club of cowboys and misfits. Its a fantastic thing.

Howdy,

Did you mail anything?

If the US Mail was involved you might contact the post office

about mail fraud. Ten years in prison, $100,000 fine or both.

Ive had this result in ebay purchases suddenly show up.

They happily cash US postal money orders which is perfect documentation

for the fraud charge....

Never know when the post office might want to make an example of someone.

Best

CR

I spent the 1st part of my adult life dealing with the kind of crud bag that ripped you off.

Thant's why it's such a pleasure spend the later years of my life with folks like the 2nd guy (from Texas) and about 99.9% of the SASS community. You guys are the best!

The cowboy way at its finest. Thanks for sharing, HD. Merry Christmas, everyone!!!

Howdy,

Did you mail anything?

If the US Mail was involved you might contact the post office

about mail fraud. Ten years in prison, $100,000 fine or both.

Ive had this result in ebay purchases suddenly show up.

They happily cash US postal money orders which is perfect documentation

for the fraud charge....

Never know when the post office might want to make an example of someone.

Best

CR

Yessir, I have as many lettered agencies involved as I can. that includes ic3.gov, USPIS and his local Sherrif. (he's in Youngstown, OH)

My wife tells the story of how before we met times were really tough. Single mom, 2 kids...She gets up one morning & stuck on the door was an envelope w/ $300 in it. Still no idea where it came from, and still appreciative of that kindness. Now times are not all perfect, but we r a great team. We are very lucky & blessed and have paid that forward many times. Something just happened last week and she did again. Very proud of her. Your day will come and just putting this on the wire shows your appreciation to that fine cowboy. He knows who he is and that's all that matters.

SASS members are a special breed.

He then wished me a Merry Christmas and signed the letter.

The second item was a money order for a sum that more than covered my loss. It took me a minute to add the two together to realize that I had just received the gift of the SASS Christmas spirit. It's a powerful thing. Fogged my glasses right up. I would say it restored my faith in humanity, but what it really did was reinforce my faith in the brotherhood and sisterhood of SASS.

He had no dog in the fight, but seeing me being taken advantage of just didn't sit right with him. And whats a cowboy do when he see's someone being wronged? why, he steps in. Thats the code. Thats what we do. Thats what he did.

HD

A GREAT COWBOY CHRISTMAS STORY.

What's great about it is that cowboys do this all year long.

Love hearing about stuff like this!

Waimea

It's a good thing to pay it forward for the blessings you have received. It's even better to do it without seeking recognition.....which, by the way, allows one to pick and choose what they want to do.

Merry CHRIST-mas to all of the wonderful people I have met in this sport. You are such a great support team for all of us when we need to be picked up. I love being a cowboy, I love being in this sport and I adore the pards and pardettes that I have met.....

KK

Somehow, you just expect nothing less from this fine group of folks.

Archived