SASS Wire Forum

Conceal Carry Holster

German Jim

I have no experience or idea of what type of holster could be/should be used to carry a full sized 1911 Colt clone. What would be a good type of material used in its construction? Inside the waist band? Outside the waist band? I'm not going to be carrying one but I was just wondering for future reference.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Well... I have a friend who carries one in an IWB holster... under a suit. Not sure of make or model, but it seems to work well for him ~ last time I saw 'im I asked if he was carrying. He was. ;)

Beretta makes a inside the waistband holster for there 92FS model thats made out of leather backing thats is perferated with holes so it breaths nice and it has a ploymer injection molded gun housing mounted on it. Thus making up the entire holster which is open all the way thru so no matter how long the muzzle it simply sticks out the end of it, yet the gun is secure. Years later I got a Glock 21(the full size 45auto) version and it fits in the holster even nicer than the Beretta that it was intended for. I would think a 1911 would be similer(they are all full size guns is what I mean) Heck check it out, best conceal carry holster I've found so far!(and I've worn a lot!)

I have no experience or idea of what type of holster could be/should be used to carry a full sized 1911 Colt clone. What would be a good type of material used in its construction? Inside the waist band? Outside the waist band? I'm not going to be carrying one but I was just wondering for future reference.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Has a lot to do with body build type, clothing dress and climate. If you can stand it, an IWB holster made by a good maker, such as Kramer or Sparks,

can be the most concealable.

If you're layering your garments, and OWB holster can work and is more comfortable for a lot more folks.

Realistically you probably ought to have both types and let circumstances decide which will work for the way you need to dress that day.

Keeping the gun in a comfortable and easily accessible location (for both hands) is important, otherwise you'll find the gun in a safe when you wish it was at hand . . . .

SC

Alien Gear and Cross Breed make excellent IWB holsters for the 1911.

I followed the advice of a well-known ccw writer when I started carrying in 1999. Buy several holsters and have the ability to adjust point of carry to my activities of the day, my apparel and my shape. For my two main carry guns, I have holsters for outside the waistband, pocket, ankle and shoulder. Some days I am in the auto a lot, some days I am walking a lot, some days I wear shorts,.... You get the drift.

I have never found IWB or small of the back holsters to be useful.

I don't carry anything larger than a Smith .380 or J-frame. Anything larger just stays at home.

I'll second the Cross Breed. Excellent quality and very comfortable.

Irish Tom

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-summer-special.php

One of the earliest and still one of the best IWB. I've been carrying for 27 years and quite often, it is a full size 1911 in one of these.

Another method that works really good for me is a belly band type that rides more around my waist than belly. Undies on, belly band on then outerwear. A bit slower to get to but much more concealable.

I use a SmartCarry holster. It's a belly band type but it's the only one I've found that allows me to carry regardless of what I'm wearing. I carry a Springfield XD 40 service model with a 4" barrel. It's not exactly the most concealable handgun out there, but I'm able to conceal it well. Usually I wear it off to one side and higher than what is suggested. It's outside my undershirt, inside my pants and regular shirt. However I am able to have access to it very quickly.

As mentioned, One won't do it. I generally use a Galco iwb which works well because I most always wear a western vest. In colder weather, like today a belt slide or paddle under a heavier jacket. I cannot get used to a shoulder holster. I prefer leather to synthetic materials.

Most of the time I use an IWB

I prefer the Bianchi 3S. I carry my 1911 in cond1 and like the thumb break retention strap. I do have several holsters for carry. You will need to try many before you are comfortable.

Thanks for all your comments and web addresses.

One thing came to mind when looking at photos of the IWB holsters. In order to make your handgun of choice fit comfortably inside the waist band, do you wear pants with a larger waist band to accommodate the bulk of your pistol/revolver?

One thing came to mind when looking at photos of the IWB holsters. In order to make your handgun of choice fit comfortably inside the waist band, do you wear pants with a larger waist band to accommodate the bulk of your pistol/revolver?

Absolutely! Without a gun on, my pants look like I lost several pounds.

Nope, I don't have to do that.

Good chance you will need to go up a full size larger for IWB carry. Try what you got first, but don't be surprised.

I don't. Depends on the brand of britches I think.

I've had to go up a full size pant for my IWB holster. Then again I bust the thighs and calves out of my pants that fit my waist, I've got meaty legs.

I've had to go up a full size pant for my IWB holster. Then again I bust the thighs and calves out of my pants that fit my waist, I've got meaty legs.

TMI! :D

I wholeheartedly agree with the thought that what works for one may not work for you.

That having been said, I use a Stealthgear for my M&P and I'm planning on buying one for my Ruger. I like the ventilation, especially here where it gets really hot and muggy.

YMMV......

Has a lot to do with body build type, clothing dress and climate. If you can stand it, an IWB holster made by a good maker, such as Kramer or Sparks,

can be the most concealable.

If you're layering your garments, and OWB holster can work and is more comfortable for a lot more folks.

Realistically you probably ought to have both types and let circumstances decide which will work for the way you need to dress that day.

Keeping the gun in a comfortable and easily accessible location (for both hands) is important, otherwise you'll find the gun in a safe when you wish it was at hand . . . .

SC

This fella is right, but also its a matter of "conditioning yourself" for carry'n a pistol period I think....This may take no time at all if you dress in suites and ties or a uniform that requires much of you to get use to; versus shorts a t-shirt and flip flops. What Im getting at is at first it may be very uncomfortable to carry a firearm for you, but if you just keep strapping that puppy on every day it gets to be wear you feel like somthing is missing when you dont wear it. GET USE TO CARRY'N A FIREARM DAILY! and this will be the case for you as well. "Heck I wear my gun when I go to the grocery store to buy hot dogs!" This is what I tell people when they say "you carry a gun!" :D

And to be frank, carrying a gun is generally not particularly comfortable. It takes some getting used to.

For a 1911 try Milt Sparks. If you don't like it you'll have no problem selling it.

Archived