SASS Wire Forum

So once again, tell me what is wrong with

It might be sensitive to being called a duck.

Being called a duck in years past may have a bad impact on its current feelings.

It may have been hatched as a duck but now feels like it should have been a swan.

We all profile. The world it a place of limited resources, over population and every being acting on its own survival skills. If ducks become the only being angry and irrational enough to terrorize the world with suicide bombs, then looking at ducks differently than we look at flamingoes is the only rational and effective means of stopping an attack.

Sorry, ducks. No harm meant in using you for my response.

Sorry, ducks. No harm meant in using you for my response.

Walter and Leroy (those 2 wild and crazy Ducks) understand and accept your rational.

Besides, Walter and Leroy are 100% Southern born and bred with nothing but Red, White and Blue blood running thru their veins.

Besides, Walter was a U.S. Naval Aviator and Leroy served as a Marine Helo pilot. They both stand ready to defend the homeland when needed. But I must also add that neither of them are fond of Flamingo's.

..........Widder

I'll tell you why not.

First, don't do it because ... well, it works.

Second, using something that works, makes sense, and that comes to the central point of why not.

You see, I've worked for mulltple hospitals, and I've often worked for government agencies, and they all have one thing in common.

If it makes sense,

Saves time,

Saves money,

Improves morale,

Reduces sick time,

Improves the bottom line,

Reduces overall operating costs,

and most especially

IF IT MAKES SENSE --

It's against policy!

Profiling?

That's when you see a black guy in a Mercedes, so the cops stop him, because he probably stole it, and if it is his he bought it with drug money, and there might be drugs in the car, right?

That's when a black guy walking down the street in a "white neighborhood" will be stopped and questioned, right?

That's when everyone with Japanese ancestry will be locked up in a concentration camp, just in case, because we are at war with Japan, right?

That's when you shoot everyone that looks even vaguely middle Eastern, just in case he might be a jihadist, right?

There's a lot wrong with profiling.

This is just my opinion.

The way 'Profiling' is used today is because its those who are being profiled are the ones who we have predetermined that have a desire to harm US, our family, friends, etc..... not on the battle field but rather in our shopping malls, schools, work offices, restaurants, etc...

And as ALPO mentioned, those of Japanese ancestry were placed in concentration camps as a result of profiling. But its my guess that those placed in concentration camps were much safer under their military guards than they would have been if left to roam publicly during WWII. So in this instance, profiling may have been a blessing to those being profiled (just a guess).

I got my strong opinion on profiling, immigration, boarder security, etc..... of which I will just keep to meowndangself for now.

But aren't WE being profiled by our nationality, skin color, RELIGION, etc..... ?

..........Widder

I doubt anyone who lived in those conditions would agree with the statement they were "better off". Many of those U.S. citizens paid their taxes and owned businesses & property that were confiscated and never returned -- a.k.a. stolen by the "authorities".

Imagine someone coming to your house and telling you that you have to move to a POW camp, complete with barb wire fence, shoddy barracks, searchlights and sentry towers with machine guns, "for your protection." And ALL of your property? "It's ours to do with as we please. We'll get back to you." All because of your ancestral name, color of your skin and your facial features?

We wax eloquent about fighting the "authorities" for trying to infringe upon our rights to own guns? But these U.S. citizens lost everything for nothing more than their ethnic heritage. Put yourself in their shoes and then tell me they were better off.

Sorry for the rant but not long ago, a member on this forum called me a Nazi because of my German heritage . It's all BS.

Profiling?

That's when you see a black guy in a Mercedes, so the cops stop him, because he probably stole it, and if it is his he bought it with drug money, and there might be drugs in the car, right?

That's when a black guy walking down the street in a "white neighborhood" will be stopped and questioned, right?

That's when everyone with Japanese ancestry will be locked up in a concentration camp, just in case, because we are at war with Japan, right?

That's when you shoot everyone that looks even vaguely middle Eastern, just in case he might be a jihadist, right?

There's a lot wrong with profiling.

+100000000

I doubt anyone who lived in those conditions would agree with the statement they were "better off". Many of those U.S. citizens paid their taxes and owned businesses & property that were confiscated and never returned -- a.k.a. stolen by the "authorities".

Imagine someone coming to your house and telling you that you have to move to a POW camp, complete with barb wire fence, shoddy barracks, searchlights and sentry towers with machine guns, "for your protection." And ALL of your property? "It's ours to do with as we please. We'll get back to you." All because of your ancestral name, color of your skin and your facial features?

We wax eloquent about fighting the "authorities" for trying to infringe upon our rights to own guns? But these U.S. citizens lost everything for nothing more than their ethnic heritage. Put yourself in their shoes and then tell me they were better off.

Sorry for the rant but not long ago, a member on this forum called me a Nazi because of my German heritage . It's all BS.

+1000000

PROFILING?

If it walks like a duck

and it quacks like a duck,

perhaps it is a DUCK!

But what kind of duck is it???

Not all ducks are the same. They come in a wide variety of personalities and loyalties.

Well, if the duck decides he wants to cut your throat, perhaps taking

a closer look might be in order. Maybe he isn't a friendly duck.

Aye, that's an ironclad truth my very good friend. And there's the rub for me as it's a conundrum for a free society. Some deserve a very close look, while others get swept up as in a fishing net. The difference between freedom and totalitarianism is a fine line that seems to move with circumstances. Whenever "security and safety" are invoked as a justification for assaults on our liberty (such as the 2nd Amendment), I turn a skeptical eye toward the "solution".

I may not have the answers, but I'm certain our "leaders" don't either.

If you were referencing anything I posted, I couldn't find anywhere I used your quotation marks for "better off".

But I will admit my post and my use of the word 'safer' could have been interpreted in that manner.

I wasn't even born when WWII started but again, its my opinion that our government (and a lot of citizens) could have cared less about the stuff the detainees may have lost. And its still my opinion that they were probably safer in those concentration camps than what would have been otherwise.

Persecution on this type scale never reflects well on either our government, citizens or the victims. But we will never know how many innocent lives were saved because of these actions.

And its for that reason, there are a lot of folks who feel Profiling has its benefits, especially when its viewed as having life saving probabilities for the innocent.

EDIT: I think discussions such as this help us all understand things from different perspectives..... which is a good thing.

..........Widder

Its my opinion that our government (and a lot of citizens) could have cared less about the stuff the detainees may have lost. Agreed. And its still my opinion that they were probably safer in those concentration camps than what would have been otherwise. Couldn't disagree more. These people were incarcerated and robbed of everything they owned by government fiat on a perceived, as opposed to actual threat. It's not like their livlihoods and property were returned after hostilities. Saying they were safer is like trying to prove a negative. Kinda like the TSA saying they need to grope us, X-Ray and confiscate nail clippers for our safety.

(Sarcasm on) Just think of the countless lives saved because my keychain multitool -- with 1" screwdriver! -- was confiscated a few months ago. (Sarcasm off.)

But we will never know how many innocent lives were saved because of these actions. More than 110,000 AMERICAN CITIZENS were incarcerated. If the government was doing it's job as defined by the Constitution, they'd have been protected along with everyone else.

".... So in this instance, profiling may have been a blessing to those being profiled (just a guess)."

I don't see a difference between that, "safer" an "better off"

My .02 cents only Widder, nothing more. :)

If you see a football team on TV and they're dressed in BROWN, they're not really a football team! :(

There are a lot of different things that proclaim to be football teams, but really aren't.

Shoulder pads, jersey, and fancy footwork dancing do not a football player make.

What I find amusing is that a player makes a good play and then struts like

he alone has won the brass ring. Geeeez guys, that is what they pay you

those big $$$$s for.

I couldn't agree more. And on top of that, there were many instances of abuse and even rape that was swept under the rug. So better off, or safer, I do not believe these people were, and I doubt they felt that way either.

We have some family friends who were interred in one of those camps in the California desert. I guarantee you they didn't consider it a positive experience in any way.

We have some family friends who were interred in one of those camps in the California desert. I guarantee you they didn't consider it a positive experience in any way.

Likewise.

However, we all profile. Or at least we should. Maybe we should just be a little more PC and call it being aware of our surroundings.

Likewise.

However, we all profile. Or at least we should. Maybe we should just be a little more PC and call it being aware of our surroundings.

+1 We all profile. It's called awareness.

A pard and his family at church are Palestinian. They just happen to be Christians also. They had to pack up and flee for their lives because of their religion. I'm glad that his kids didn't have to grow up afraid of being murdered. His son is now a sportscaster.

One of my mom's uncles was never heard from again. A Polish-Jew in the time of the nazis. The other brothers and sisters got out in time.

Not Profiling is insanity. When every aircraft bomber has been a Muslim male and the TSA is instructed to not check moslems so as not to offend them but to search baby diapers and old ladies that is not only ineffective in stopping terrorists it is insane. Just because profiling can be abused is no reason to ban it. Those that abuse it must be disciplined those that don't use it should be fired. We have given up common sense in the effort not to offend anyone. A cop that is told a bank was just robbed by two black suspects driving a tan Chevy that lets a tan Chevy with two black men in it drive by without stopping them because he fears they might not be the right two doesn't deserve his job. Nor does the cop that pulls two black guys in a yellow Mustang over. Profiling works!

Not Profiling is insanity. When every aircraft bomber has been a Muslim male and the TSA is instructed to not check moslems so as not to offend them but to search baby diapers and old ladies that is not only ineffective in stopping terrorists it is insane. Just because profiling can be abused is no reason to ban it. Those that abuse it must be disciplined those that don't use it should be fired. We have given up common sense in the effort not to offend anyone. A cop that is told a bank was just robbed by two black suspects driving a tan Chevy that lets a tan Chevy with two black men in it drive by without stopping them because he fears they might not be the right two doesn't deserve his job. Nor does the cop that pulls two black guys in a yellow Mustang over. Profiling works!

Thank you Bugs. You said it much better than I could have.

The reason the Japanese were put in "internment camps" was because there was a real threat of invasion at that time. There were Japanese spies running around collecting intel in Hawaii and California. I've seen the movie footage one of their spies took of battleship row in Pearl Harbor before the attack. It was not a time for political correctness. It was total war. I guarantee any American living peacefully in Japan at the time was not ignored. It was a harsh measure during a desperate time. I hope it never comes to that again.

Why didn't they lock up white folks of German or Italian descent? Weren't we at war with them too?

Are you being deliberately argumentative? There are several reasons. After Pearl Harbor any oriental could be easily picked out of a crowd. Feeling was running high against them and they were in danger from the public, but so were Chinese. Germans and Italians did not bring out hate by being easy to pick out. However, that is not the reason the Japanese were interred. Prejudice is the reason they were interred. Mass hysteria and prejudice are ugly things and the public was paranoid.

Archived