SASS Wire Forum

Pop Quiz

Wyatt

Shooter is shooting Duelist, draws right pistol with right hand and fires five shots, holsters. Draws left pistol with left hand and transfers to right hand. Fires five shots. Tosses the pistol form their right hand to their left hand about 6 to 8 inches away, catches it and holsters.

Is there a call?

Probably no more than when a shooters tosses their long guns down on a table.

Of my understanding, If it wasn't cocked, I would say 'No Call'.

Can you point out a rule that might warrant a penalty?

..........Widder

I'd say no call and suggest they not do it. Can't see how it helps versus what harm it may do to make it worth the risk. I've seen people do similar odd things and after ignoring advice to stop such things I choose to stay as far away from them as possible.

I agree with the comments so far, no call as described.

But throwing a firearm from one hand to another might be called unsafe gun handling at some point. Rule 20 on page 25 of the Handbook addresses unsafe gun handling while drawing a revolver and gives a Stage DQ as the penalty. I don't know if the ROC intended to limit the definition of unsafe gun handling to the draw only, or whether "unsafe gun handling" can be defined by the TO at any time during the stage.

There...that should get some arguments started!! :D

No call. Essentially it would be the same as if you missed the holster, dropped the pistol and caught it in mid-air, without breaking the 170. Only difference being that the former was executed intentionally. I too, would distance myself from that shooter. I would worry about the shooter that practices this, loses count and executes the manuever with a live round under the hammer.

Pretty darn close to unsafe gun handling. If I were TO I think I would tell shooter to not do that again.

My son was showing me his new 1911. He removed mag, ejected round from chamber then caught it in mid air. Even though I knew gun was empty, I told him I thought it was unsafe gun handling. This is pretty much the same in my book.

Wyatt,,, going for another black star?

Pretty darn close to unsafe gun handling. If I were TO I think I would tell shooter to not do that again.

My son was showing me his new 1911. He removed mag, ejected round from chamber then caught it in mid air. Even though I knew gun was empty, I told him I thought it was unsafe gun handling. This is pretty much the same in my book.

Not sure why this would be unsafe. watch a few USPSA or IDPA matches and you'll see lots of shooters do this at the end of a stage. Then again, the top shooters are usually the only ones that make it on to the television.

No call this time - save the penalty for when it bites the shooter.

Don't penalize preemptively, or based on intent. Penalize on "what happened"

Good luck, GJ

I actually caught myself doing this ONCE.

I never did it again. Skeerd me so bad. :o

I think it's a no call that will eventually be an SDQ when they miss. <_<

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Archived