SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Western Book

guitar_slinger

Along the lines of the best Western movie, what's your favorite book about the West? Can be fiction or historical.

(yes, I'm looking to expand my library).

Gone To Texas (aka The Outlaw Josey Wales) by Forrest Carter is a good and fast paced story.

That and the sequel, the title of which I cannot remember. My copy has both books in it.

Ah. I just went and looked. Vengeance Trail.

http://www.amazon.com/Josey-Wales-Westerns-Texas-Vengeance/dp/0826311687

"Valdez is Coming" by Elmore Leonard. All in all, I think Leonard was the best Western novelist out there.

"The Comanches; the Destruction of a People", later reissued as "The Comanches, the History of a People", by T.H. Fehrenbach, the great Texas historian who died not long ago, is the best book on that Western subject.

Three Years Among the Comanches, by Nelson Lee.

It's mentioned in Bendigo Shafter. A Texas Ranger was captured and lived with the Comanche for three years.

You can either buy it from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Three-Years-Among-Comanches-Narrative/dp/1589760948

Or download the PDF from the Texas Rangers website.

http://www.texasranger.org/E-Books/Three%20Years%20Among%20The%20Comanches.pdf

Black Valley Riders by Ralph Cotton, I'm reading it now….it's got my attention!

Not to overload you, but some others that I love, all non- fiction:

Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides. A great biography of Kit Carson and his times.

A Terrible Glory by James Donovan. A fair and comprehensive history of Custer and his last battle.

Nothing Like It In The World by Stephen Ambrose. A history of the transcontinental railroad that will leave you shaking your head in wonder.

Company Of Heroes by Harry Carey, Jr. Dobey's memoirs about making movies with John Ford and John Wayne.

Doc Holliday, A Family Portrait by Karen Tanner Holliday (a cousin). The real Doc was not like Dennis Quaid or Val Kilmer.

J-Bar, thanks for the additions. I've read Undaunted Courage by Ambrose and it was indeed a great book.

No worry about overload. Love to read.

GS

Its not a classic (yet) but there's a new book (and tv series) out by Bill O'Reilly called Legends and Lies. Great read and series! W. L.

Despite the issues an editor should have caught and some of the inconsistencies and inaccuracies, Louis L'Amour will always be my favorite western author. My favorite among his books would be difficult to say. Flint, The Key-Lock Man, and the "Kilkenny" trilogy all come to mind as being favorites.

As stated above by two folks,

Nothing Like It In the World (about the building of the Transcontinental Railroad)

and Undaunted Courage (about Lewis & Clark). Both by Stephen Ambrose, and both spectacular.

Oh, and OF COURSE, Dances With Wolves, by Michael Blake. :)

The "Brules" trilogy by Harry Combs ("Brules; "The Scout" & "Legend of the Spotted Horse") All fiction.

A great fictional saga of western history.

Its not a classic (yet) but there's a new book (and tv series) out by Bill O'Reilly called Legends and Lies. Great read and series! W. L.

I just finished Killing Jesus and Killing Patton. Interesting books.

One more...

The Cowboy Year by Ethan D. Bryan

A memoir about learning to play the cowboy action game.

Despite the issues an editor should have caught and some of the inconsistencies and inaccuracies, Louis L'Amour will always be my favorite western author. My favorite among his books would be difficult to say. Flint, The Key-Lock Man, and the "Kilkenny" trilogy all come to mind as being favorites.

I've read several L'Amour Westerns and I think they are average at best. L'Amour's big limitation as a writer is that he inserts himself as narrator into the thought processes of his characters. For example, he'll have a scene where his protagonist is riding down the range into the plain, headed for the town, and he'll have pages of the character's interior monologue, which is mostly just L'Amour reflecting on his own personal philosophy, the "code of the West", etc. etc.

l

Better writers tell the story only through action and dialogue. As in the real world, we can't read minds; we can only hear what people say and see what they do. Compare a Elmore Leonard Western with a L'Amour, and the difference is clear.

That said, one of my favorite yarns is one of L'Amour's non-Westerns: Last of the Breed, which I have read many times over the years with great enjoyment. It has the same defects, but is a great story.

Great suggestions. I'm reading Washington's Spies: The Story of America's first Spy Ring right now.

Going to start marching down through the above list when this one's done.

Ashamed to say, I've never read a L'Amour book. Will have to give some of his stuff a try. I may read the Ambrose book next since I've already read one of his and liked the style.

Read all of Ekert's Frontiersman series a couple years back. Interesting reads too.

Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage

Owen Wister's The Virginian

Wyatt Earp Speaks is the story of Wyatt and those around him based on newspaper, court and interview documents.

Not a western, but a great Civil War historical fiction novel is The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. Fantastic read. Makes you feel like you are there in the middle of it all as it happened. Won a Pulitzer prize (for what that's worth). Edited to add that this novel is about the battle of Gettysburg.
Bucky

Not a western, but a great Civil War historical fiction novel is The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. Fantastic read. Makes you feel like you are there in the middle of it all as it happened. Won a Pulitzer prize (for what that's worth).

Bucky

Killer Angels is a very good book. Along same lines is Blaze of Glory (about Shiloh)

Elmer Kelton's Huey Callaway trilogy, "Six Bits A Day", "The Good Old Boys", and "The Smiling Country" are a real treat and my current favorites.

That reminds me - time to read 'em again.

Hmmmmmmmm...........LT John Dunbar?!?!?!

Didn't they "disappear" you?

Seriously, welcome aboard, Pard!!

One more...

The Cowboy Year by Ethan D. Bryan

A memoir about learning to play the cowboy action game.

J-Bar,

After looking this one up, I ordered it from Amazon. (Along with the first two brule books) It came today and I've read almost half of it already. It's a pretty fun read that I can relate to since I just started again after about 10-12 years! I'm about your sons age, but my dad don't shoot. That's ok, because I have a girl and two boys of my own, that I already got guns for. ;) Tell Fret I'm getting a kick out of his work!

Thanks DD

Archived