SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a Fish Tank Pump

Walmart.They are cheap

Judge,

Don't do it.

I have found that it will help for the first thousand rounds or so and then something happens.....the powder starts to compact which leads to bridging.

I tried it and abandoned the idea when I started having inconsistant powder drops and had to dissassemble the powder funnel and clean it.

It might not do that on all powders but it will on the ones I was using including Titegroup.

Just sayin'.

Dan

Don't know on the Dillon 650.. :blush: so this may not apply..

I have a Dillon 550

When I bought it years ago I bought the low powder sensor with it..

It's weighted and pushes the powder down as the powder drops down from usage..

I've never had a problem with powder sticking in the hopper..

but.. again.. that's on a 550

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I'm probably in the wrong pew :blush:

Judge,

First of all, we ain't dead, just taking some time off to explore the misteries of how many ways a horse can confound a man who is just trying to stay on while turning left, or right, or whatever.

Second, if you can't find a fish airrator (sp?) (which I found at a typical pet store) you can use a battery operated toothbrush. Gives you the same vibration more or less.

Hope that helps. Glad your going to make the trip.

Take care.

I use an RCBS powder measure to meter filler. Currently I use walnut bedding media as filler. Only issue I have had so far is that it wanted to bridge above the bushing that screws into the bottom of the measure. Seems the hole in the bushing is too small for the media I am using to allow it to drop reliably. I am loading 45-70 cases so I just removed the bushing and insert the case into the measure until it bottoms out. Haven't had a problem with bridging since.

BTW I also have baffles in all my powder measure hoppers. I feel that the baffles are necessary for consistent feeding.

How about an old electric shaver. You got one laying around, might as well put it to good use. Just tape it around your hopper or however you want it. It may help. Just a suggestion.

The powder measure is the same on 550 and 650.

Blacksmith has been using one on his 650 for 8 years and millions of rounds. My loads are extremely consistant. He says that can be hard to achieve in my .32's.

I'm not sure the problem with TiteGroup is caused by vibration. It is pretty well known to get hard when it is left exposed to air (and moisture) in a hopper.

For best results metering TG, you HAVE to return it to the container (closed well) and not leave it in the hopper even overnight!

Good luck,GJ

Blacksmith has been using one on his 650 for 8 years and millions of rounds. My loads are extremely consistant. He says that can be hard to achieve in my .32's.

Amen (I'm still looking for a way to get back at the Pard who let my wife shoot his 32s). I use a fish tank air pump from Walmart and have had very good luck with it using HP38 to load the 32s.

I just turn on my tumbler and clean some brass while I'm loading. They are on the same bench and I get pretty consistent loads. The noise from the tumbler also drowns out the wife yelling for me to come upstairs.

I just turn on my tumbler and clean some brass while I'm loading. They are on the same bench and I get pretty consistent loads. The noise from the tumbler also drowns out the wife yelling for me to come upstairs.

I identify with that....looks like I'm gonna hafta relocate my tumbler from the floor to my bench!

Lumpy Gritz. Why not use the fish tank thing?

Compacts the powder at the bottom of the PM. IF your using the correct powder bar on the 550/650, there's no need for it.

In my 48+ years of reloading smokeless and BP.-NEVER seen any use for one.

OLG

Archived