SASS Wire Forum

Russian bombers to patrol in Gulf of Mexico

I did not like John Kennedy but we sure could use him now.

The bombers are annoying.

The nuclear subs are a threat.

I agree with John Adams philosophy...keep the Navy strong!

disclaimer: I am not a veteran, I respect all branches of the armed forces. I just sleep better knowing the submarines are out there...

I seem to recall reading that the USSR did that during the Cold War. If I remember correctly, it was in an article about George W. Bush's years as a pilot in the Texas Air National Guard, and the fact that part of their mission was intercepting the bombers.

I was close. The article discusses G.W. Bush and the F-102.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0185.shtml

One of the primary ANG units to receive the F-102 was the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (FIS) at Ellington Air National Guard Station, which operated the aircraft from 1960 through 1974. These planes were given responsibility for patrolling the Texas Gulf Coast and intercepting Soviet aircraft based in Cuba that regularly flew off the US shore to test American defenses. The 111th was and still is part of the 147th Fighter Wing in Houston, Texas. It was here that George W. Bush was stationed following his enlistment in May 1968.

And you don't think we do it every day to them

I'm sure we do but how close do we get to Russia's mainland? (That's a legit question I really don't know)

Then why should we comlain when they return the favor?

Because we 're AMERICANS and we can , WE built the SR-71. , we been kicking ass for almost 240 years and the present administration not with standing we 're still the GREATEST nation in history !!

Because we 're AMERICANS and we can , WE built the SR-71. , we been kicking ass for almost 240 years and the present administration not with standing we 're still the GREATEST nation in history !!

+ Infinity

I'm not arguing that point but they have as much right to fly in international air space as we do and we fly off their boarders every day.

And why would that be beside the point

What we are doing to keep the Russians in check is not the discussion.

John Kerry proclaimed the Monroe Doctrine over. Now the Chinese and Russians are in our back yard. This is not in our best interest.

Anybody (most definitely including us) can fly in international airspace. Just like they can operate ships in international waters. Nothing new, except that Russia will be straining its budget.

The one thing Russia has is fuel. Now does it have the skill to keep its bomber fleet in the air?

Are they the TU-95 codenamed SBT?

General characteristics

• Crew: 6–7; pilot, co pilot, flight engineer, communications system operator, navigator, tail gunner plus sometimes another navigator.
  • Length: 46.2 m (151 ft 6 in)
  • Wingspan: 50.10 m (164 ft 5 in)
  • Height: 12.12 m (39 ft 9 in)
  • Wing area: 310 m² (3,330 ft²)
  • Empty weight: 90,000 kg (198,000 lb)
  • Loaded weight: 171,000 kg (376,200 lb)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 188,000 kg (414,500 lb)
  • Powerplant: 4 × Kuznetsov NK-12M turboprops, 11,000 kW (14,800 shp)[ each

Performance

Armament

You know the name for SBT...SLOW BIG TARGET

Yawn, Those old Bear turboprop bombers are not much of a threat. They give our fighter jocks something to practice interceptions on and keep the radar guys at the peak of efficiency. Nothing like a bogey on the screen to liven up an otherwise boring shift. Those of us old enough to remember the 50's and 60's know we have been playing this game with the Russians since the end of WW2. Putin is sending a message, unfortunately the lights are on at the White House but nobody is home to get it.

I remember when the Russians had missiles in Cuba in 1962. I lived about 30 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico in Lake Charles LA. After the missiles arrived in Cuba we got an air raid siren installed in the neutral ground 4 houses down the street from our house and started the drills in the elementary school where I attended.

I don't know how stable the political situation is now in Cuba with Castro's failing health; I just hope that the US doesn't take it's eye off the ball concerning that situation. It's be a bad day at Black Rock if the Russians get nuclear capable missiles back into Cuba.

When you're out in the Gulf

And you're buzzed by a Bear

And you're frankly surprised that they're still in the air

Just flip them the bird

and wish them good luck

And roll out a banner that says "PUTIN SUCKS"

Those turbopro geezers

Ain't much of a threat

I'd be surprised if the crew don't get wet

If they get a bit frisky

They might get a dose

Of lead from that Eagle that's following close

So fear not, compadres

They're just paying games

I'm not worried that we're gonna go up in flames

;)

Yeeee HAW - yessir!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

With a range of 9400 miles unrefueled, I wonder where they are going to fly them out of. Do they plan to fly out of Russia and refuel them in the air? That's doable but to have any loiter time to "patrol" those are going to be really long missions. Do they plan to base them in Cuba?, Shades of 1962 except this time we don't have any leadership that will do anything about it.

With a range of 9400 miles unrefueled, I wonder where they are going to fly them out of. Do they plan to fly out of Russia and refuel them in the air? That's doable but to have any loiter time to "patrol" those are going to be really long missions. Do they plan to base them in Cuba?, Shades of 1962 except this time we don't have any leadership that will do anything about it.

... could also be Venezuela, Nicaragua

http://thediplomat.com/2014/02/russia-says-its-building-naval-bases-in-asia-latin-america/

I'm sure we do but how close do we get to Russia's mainland? (That's a legit question I really don't know)

Sarah Palin says she can see Russia from her front porch...

We run our patrols close to, but not over, Russian air space. Our high altitude hypersonic reconnaissance aircraft, like the SR71, fly right over. We'll also send drones over to get a look at stuff relatively close to the borders, since they can fly low enough to avoid radar.

The Russians have been "patrolling" the Caribbean for decades. The only thing that's changed here is that Putin is beating his chest about it to make his countrymen think he's a tough guy.

Sarah Palin says she can see Russia from her front porch...

We run our patrols close to, but not over, Russian air space. Our high altitude hypersonic reconnaissance aircraft, like the SR71, fly right over. We'll also send drones over to get a look at stuff relatively close to the borders, since they can fly low enough to avoid radar.

The Russians have been "patrolling" the Caribbean for decades. The only thing that's changed here is that Putin is beating his chest about it to make his countrymen think he's a tough guy.

Uh - no: http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/russia.asp

Archived