SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Santa Fe River Stan,36999L

Shooter jacks out a live round from their rifle......round lands on the crook of their elbow......shooter finishes string correctly and grabs the ejected round from their elbow and uses it for their last shot which rang steel so the shooter hit all the targets in the correct order.

How many seconds should be added to their score and why?

Stan

There was a nuance that has been answered by PWB's response.

Shooters Handbook Page 11

• Ammunition required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the
shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shotshell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be
safely staged as required by stage instructions. Leather belt slide ammo loops are
acceptable; however, shotgun shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo
belt. Shotgun loops must be in a single row. Rifle and revolver ammunition may not be
carried in a shotshell loop. No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose,
cleavage, or any other bodily orifice.

Shooters Handbook Page 21

Failure to stage guns or ammunition at the designated position(s)/location(s) is the fault of the
competitor and scored as a procedural unless the competitor is able to correct the situation,
unassisted, while in the process of completing the stage under time. The penalty for using
"illegally acquired" ammunition (i.e., NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in an
approved manner) is a PROCEDURAL. Any targets hit using that ammo are scored as MISSES.
NO adjustments will be made to the stage raw time.

The ejected round was not brought to the line in an approved fashion for a reload but in general it was brought to the line in an approved fashion.......so it does not fall under the the illegal ammunition wording. That was what I wanted to get clarification on and I got it.

Stan

now I see just why you brought that up,,,,, I heard about that one!!!!

Here's the "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" :o variation of that scenario:

Shooter EJECTS a rifle round while engaging targets...CATCHES the ejected round in the air (while maintaining safe muzzle control); reloads the round and completes the stage; hitting all the correct targets in correct order.

Same MSV call for "retrieval" of an ejected round.

No MISS.

No "P"

Shooter EJECTS a rifle round while engaging targets...CATCHES the ejected round in the air (while maintaining safe muzzle control); reloads the round and completes the stage; hitting all the correct targets in correct order.

No MISS.

No "P"

I did that years ago but with a 97 at the last Midwest regional in IL....long time ago,,,

caught the round in mid air,,,, the crowd cheered wildly!!!... I missed the shot!! the crowd booed wildly!!!! nobody knew it was a msv!!

OK, spooned my brains back in...

so under current rules, a dropped or ejected round that is retrieved earns a MSV but any target hit with it counts as a hit.

Where the illegally acquired comes in, is a P and anything hit with one of those rounds is a miss, is everything else, cleavage ammo, hand offs, etc.

The TG agenda item addresses retrieved ejected or dropped rounds, not illegally acquired rounds.

I was reading and thinking too fast and thinking that ejected and dropped were handled differently from each other when Stan was verifying that they are not.

Or am I still confused?

Went through a similar issue recently. Rifle jams and in clearing it two rounds fall onto the prop/shelf where I am shooting. Instinct was to pick them up and reload. After all my rifle is right there only inches away from the two rounds. Stopped myself right as Anvil Al said DON"T DO IT. (Thanks AL) Pulled the only two reloads I had on me and finished the stage. Had I needed to eject another round I wouldn't have had enough to finish the stage because all my perfectly good ammo would have been laying there inches away.

Really want to see that rule changed

good.

I just hope the TG agenda item passes.

Then we can argue if an ejected round lands in the cleavage when another round was carried, and one of them was grabbed and reloaded....

I know the answer to that one Grizz -- you'd grab the one from the cleavage - if it wasn't your cleavage !! :o :o :D :D

and then there was the one about the guy that didn't know his elbow from his......orifice :P

Yeah it seems to me that muzzle control is all we need to worry about here, but anything I drop, I am just going back to the belt for ammo.

No MISS.

No "P"

Seen it done once. 92 kicks out round, shooter snags it outta the air throws it back in the top of the carbine and continues to march. I join the peanut gallery in big grins and didja see thats. I followed the shooter to the ULT and advised it was a penalty but I was not about to call it. Had no desire to get lynched by said admiring peanut gallery.

The only time you may use ejected or dropped ammo is if it falls back to where you retrieved it from originally. Otherwise it's dead and is a msp unless it's ammo aquired illegally then its its ilegally aquired ammo and subject to a miss per round used

The only time you may use ejected or dropped ammo is if it falls back to where you retrieved it from originally. Otherwise it's dead and is a msp unless it's ammo aquired illegally then its its ilegally aquired ammo and subject to a miss per round used

NO! a dropped round if used is only a MSV! not a miss!! see Pale Wolf's reply above

Ok this one happened to me

Jacked a round, while reloading the spring in the feeder tube threw the round back out, I catch it in mid air and reload it.

whats the call

Chicken Scratch

ps they gave me a MSV

Ok this one happened to me

Jacked a round, while reloading the spring in the feeder tube threw the round back out, I catch it in mid air and reload it.

whats the call

Chicken Scratch

ps they gave me a MSV

That's the correct call under current rule

no! A round caught or taken off the table after being dropped and used is ONLY a MSV, not a miss,,,,, it is not illegally acquired ammo!!

see the definition for illegally acquired ammo...

no! A round caught or taken off the table after being dropped and used is ONLY a MSV, not a miss,

,,,, it is not illegally acquired ammo!!

see the definition for illegally acquired ammo...

Illegally acquired ammunition – ammo NOT carried to the line or staged by the shooter in an approved manner.

RO1 "Glossary of Terms" p.30

As has been repeatedly clarified...DROPPED OR EJECTED AMMO is NOT covered under this rule.

Well it's winter time and a few shooter are having cabin fever. What if....

The shooter jacks a round out of his rifle and then pulls one off his belt and levers it too fast and jacks it out and it falls right in the spot he took it from off his belt and then he picks up that same round and loads and shoots it.

The shooter jacks a round out of his rifle and then pulls one off his belt and levers it too fast and jacks it out and it falls right in the spot he took it from off his belt and then he picks up that same round and loads and shoots it.

:lol::D:lol: MT

that sorta happen to me once,,,, sxs, kick out two fired hulls, grab two new ones,,,, ready to put them in,,,, nope,,,, one was new one was one of the empties...

How about if a live round is ejected and it falls right back into the chamber? Can you shoot it without penalty?

Next question, what if it falls back in there after having hit something, like the roof, a prop, your hat, or even your hand?

That happens all the time...and has been ruled a NO CALL as long as the shooter maintains muzzle control while trying to catch the airborne round in the chamber of a long gun.

^_^

Archived