SASS Wire Forum

Whats the Call

Cypress Sun

Shooter shoots rifle in the correct order/targets and restages rifle open/empty.

Shoots pistols in the correct order/targets and re-holsters.

Starts to shoot the shotgun, reaches for shells........didn't put any in the belt. Sets shotgun down open/empty, returns to guncart (about 10' away behind shooting line) retrieves shells from cart, goes back to the line and shoots shotgun in correct order/targets.

Pistols remained in shooters holsters (with empty cases) during the trip to and from guncart.

What is the call, if any.

CS

Thinkin' no call...

I'm thinkin' I've seen this discussed before..

Errrr uuhhh.. maybe should have staged his pistols??

Exactly, shooter left the line with pistols that had not been cleared.

Stage Disqualification

SASS ROI Page 25

• Failure to adhere to loading and unloading procedures.

Now, if he safely left his revolvers on the stage and went to his cart, no call.

BTDT...afterwards it was advised to stage the revolvers before leaving the firing line (mine were still loaded).

Call should have been a SDQ.

Same in this case (loaded or empty)

REF post #'s 2 & 6

I believe shooter still needs to bring the ammo to the line in an approved manner after retrieving it from his cart.

Penalty would be the same as illegally acquired ammo.

RF

Reshoot!!!

ROI page 3

Shooter Inventory

. Another good way to assist the shooter is to visually inventory each shooter

at the line just before starting your range commands. This means you should inspect the

shooter to see if they have all the equipment to complete the course of fire. For example, if

you know the shooter is supposed to have shotgun shells on their person, but you don’t see

them, simply ask where they are. Also, look for the appropriate safety equipment. We all

know how disconcerting it is to fire your first shot only to realize your earplugs aren’t in!

Just joshin, I know the shooter is responsible, but hopefully any TOs reading this will remember to check for shotgun shells in the future! I would be willing to be the TO in this particual case will. There is nothing worse than realizing that you missed something like that, and it led to a SDQ. I am grateful to all who are willing to hold the timer, without them, where would we be! I know no one likes to assess a penalty on a shooter.

Failure to stage guns or ammunition at the designated position(s)/location(s) is the fault of the
competitor and scored as a procedural unless the competitor is able to correct the situation,
unassisted, while in the process of completing the stage under time. The penalty for using
"illegally acquired" ammunition (i.e., NOT carried to the line/staged by the shooter in an
approved manner) is a PROCEDURAL. Any targets hit using that ammo are scored as MISSES.
NO adjustments will be made to the stage raw time.

SHB p.21 / RO1 p.20

To reiterate:

The retrieval of the ammo from the cart is LEGAL...the penalty for leaving the firing line with uncleared revolvers (fired or not) is the SDQ

And where was the TO during this trip back to the cart?

I am not minimizing the responsibility of the shooter in this case, but the TO has the duty to keep everyone safe, or as much as he/she can do so, on the stage. Letting a shooter leave the line during an active stage of fire should not have ever happened - ever. There are damn few cases a TO should lay hands on a shooter, but this is a clear example of when the TO should have stopped the shooter and explained that they could not just leave to go get shotgun shells, or a Slurpee, or a Lotto ticket.....

Just my point of view.

Thanks for making the distinction between WBAS and SASS, HJ. We have been clearing 1911's and long guns at the line at some matches (Wild Bunch at Fire and Ice). The upside is that it is faster sometimes because we're showing 1911 clear anyway and the shooter must retrieve long guns.

The downside is that after 2-3 days of it I found myself heading straight to my guncart at WR more than once. Thankfully the posse and ULT got my attention.

I heard tell of a young man from the west coast having to go back for shotshells, still beat everyone else on the stage.... wore a derby I heard

AND remember to reholster before shooting SG!

I heard tell of a young man from the west coast having to go back for shotshells, still beat everyone else on the stage.... wore a derby I heard

And he did stage his pistols when he did it

Archived