SASS Wire Forum

Where do you wear your holsters?

Chief Rick

Specifically for those who wear two strong-side holsters, do you wear them closer to your sides or closer to the buckle?

Do you like them high up on your hip or down low?

Do you like straight hang holsters or ones with a little cant?

Why?

With a belly like mine, that kind of determines where I wear the holsters. But generally as far forward as I can get them and not be obstructed by my famine insurance (belly.)

I like some muzzle forward cant not only for drawing but also for re-holstering to limit the amount of wrist flex needed.

Specifically for those who wear two strong-side holsters, do you wear them closer to your sides or closer to the buckle?

Do you like them high up on your hip or down low?

Do you like straight hang holsters or ones with a little cant?

Why?

Like them a little closer to the middle. But I don't put them as close as some.

I would wear them a little closer if I had a different belt.

Next rig will allow me to have them closer in the front.

Wear them on my hip. Don't like them to high. Easier to draw with them

on my hip.

Don't like them to low. Not enough butt to hold them up. :o

Canted for sure.

Because all the above is smoother and faster for me.

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

I reckon they're about 16" apart almost and pretty vertical.

I would like them closer and muzzles canted a bit forward, but they are in buscaderos (fixed angle and fixed distance apart).

Mustang Gregg

.44 Gunfighter B)

I wear identical (right) strong side holsters, one a cross-draw.

My holsters are pretty much a "mexican style loop" holsters, so they sit "high," some might say, but I consider this carry normal.. My gunbelt rides just above my pelvis, with the buckle off center, to my right. The stong side holster was built so it is tilted forward just a bit. The holster rides against the side of my right leg and the gun butt hits just above my right hand onto my wrist. I wear it this way, because I think that (for me) it facilitates a faster, smoother draw. .

My cross-draw holster is tilted sharply toward my right, stong side and I wear it toward the inside of my left leg with the gun butt just slightly over my groin. Again, I consider this position to give me a faster, smoother draw.

I like mine a bit low. Wouldn't qualify for B-Western but, not too far off. And I snug them up to the back edge of my hip bones. Any further forward and said hip bones get sore. Any further back and I find myself having to search for them too much when trying to re-holster.

I wear mine lower with a forward cant to them and 12 shotgun shells apart. I don't have full upward motion in ether arm, so I have to have them low with a forward cant, and as far forward as I can get them

2 Strong side directly over each front pocket, slightly over 2 fists apart, Belt in the curve of the hip bones, rear of belt slightly lower to give slight muzzle forward cant. It puts pistols forward for ease of drawing and slight muzzle forward so they can be drawn without breaking my wrists.

Do you strong hand shooters use only strong hand or draw the "other" pistol with week hand and transfer it to your strong hand?

I shoot strong hand only with two right hand holsters (because that's what I have). One on my right hip and other between left hip and center. I wear a shotgun shell slide between. I've not placed order for leather yet but will likely get one right holster and one right hand cross draw with some angle.

The holsters I'm using are Threepersons design and ride high. In fact I run my belt through my belt loops. The holsters I'll order will be Threepersons design.

I use two slightly forward cant holsters at or just below the hip bone. There is little drop in the holsters. If I go too low on the waist, they'll be around my ankles before long. :blink: When I'm not on the line, I slide them to the 9 & 3 position so I can bend down and when ready to shoot, slide them to about 10 & 2. I draw the left gun and transfer to my right and back again when done shooting. I used to use a cross draw way back when and with floppy holsters, had to hang on when running and jumping. With these stiff ones, it's not an issue whether clones or old model Rugers.

low and more towards center, than biscardo type rigs

+1 and slight muzzle cant forward. drop is almost B-Western legal

+1 and slight muzzle cant forward. drop is almost B-Western legal

From the Shooters Handbook-v18.2

Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried below the top of the gun belt.)

Call me dense but I'm not following the "drop is almost B-Western legal" part.

I've got the same situation as Grizzly Dave, if famine comes I'll be one of the last to starve. I use two strong side holsters with a slight rearward cant like DeSantis Doc Holliday rigs. They are worn just below the waist towards the front slighty. Thi :):) s position allows my natural ballast to angle the butts of the revolvers slightly out, which I find helps smooth and quicken the reholstering of the firearm.

I set my holsters so they are setting on top of my front pockets. My hands are "familiar" with this position so it's natural for me to reach there. Shooting G/F I want my holsters to in exactly the same spot every time because I don't "look my guns into the holsters" so I picked a spot that I was used to putting my hands all the time (front pockets) and stuck with it

I like High-Ride holsters worn low on the hip, Frontier style belt with the buckle to the rear. My preferred holsters have between 15 and 20 deg of MF cant and are positioned slightly forward of the hips centerline. For me this has the rear edge of the holster just covering the hip seam of a pair of blue jeans. This seems to be a magic spot for me in that it allows the amount of wrist, elbow and shoulder rotation to be comfortable (mild arthritis) and my hands just seem to land in that spot naturally if I were grabbing to pull up my britches by tugging at the belt.

I am not called Slowhand without cause BUT this guy is fast and if you look close you can see where his gun is on the belt:

2 Strong side directly over each front pocket, slightly over 2 fists apart, Belt in the curve of the hip bones, rear of belt slightly lower to give slight muzzle forward cant. It puts pistols forward for ease of drawing and slight muzzle forward so they can be drawn without breaking my wrists.

+1 except where noted. Holsters tend to migrate to the middle so I put the buckle on the side and use an ammo slide to keep the holsters appart.

I shoot either gunfighter or double dualist so no transfer of hands.

From the Shooters Handbook-v18.2

Call me dense but I'm not following the "drop is almost B-Western legal" part.

Hi Chief,

Following is the rule being referred to.

"Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried below the top of the gun belt.) "

Regards,

Allie

Hi Chief,

Following is the rule being referred to.

"Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried below the top of the gun belt.) "

Regards,

Allie

Sorry for confusion Rick. i was merely meaning to discribe the way I like my holsters built, with some drop much like those of B-western style. I do not shoot B-Western. If I chose to shoot B-W I would check the drop more closely to see if they follow Allie's/SASS guidelines. A number of holster makers offer a below normal drop option for those shooter, for whatever the reason, who prefer that position of revolver. Usually cant options are also aavailable in custom leather. I do not want a Buscadero type rig myself as I bring my holsters in more to center than most conventional Bus rigs, however I do like some drop, as well as some slight muzzle cant forward..

Archived