SASS Wire Forum

Where did you hear about CAS?

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

Shaky D was shooting a sport that was not particularly friendly to ladies, when our friend Hick suggested CAS. I went along just to watch, and said, hey I can do this too!! Next time I was able to shoot, and with the encouragement of great people like Penny Pepperbox and Madd Mike it has become my favorite pastime. Been shooting over 10 years now and plan on continuing as long as possible.

Our younger son likes to shoot, too, and has gone a few time but his work schedule gets in the way. We have introduced several friends who are also addicted. As my Shaky says, "Ifn your wife shoots with you, buy her anything she wants"!!!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaky D was shooting a sport that was not particularly friendly to ladies, when our friend Hick suggested CAS. I went along just to watch, and said, hey I can do this too!! Next time I was able to shoot, and with the encouragement of great people like Penny Pepperbox and Madd Mike it has become my favorite pastime. Been shooting over 10 years now and plan on continuing as long as possible.

:) That's all, just :) !

A little over 4 years ago I saw an episode of THE SHOOTING GALLERY on the outdoor channel that was about Cowboy Action Shooting. That was the first time I had ever heard of it. Several days later I went into a local gun shop and on the counter were some business style cards with a local SASS clubs contact number on it. Made the call, went to a match to watch and ask questions, started buying guns and gear. Several months later started. Now I shoot at 5 different clubs and average 600 to 800 rounds a month. Do you think I'm hooked? I can start shooting Senior in April.

It was an article in American Rifleman in 1995. I was 47 then. I had seen SASS ads in magazines for years--"the closest thing you can get to the old west without a time machine"--and thought they were blank-shooting re-enactors. I still think they could improve those ads.

Well,

Around 1998 I was talking to the Manager of Collators Firearms in Houston. He was a CAS that went by the name of The Durango Kid and shot at THSS in Columbus. He knew that I was into Old Single Action Rugers and told me to come check out the range, which I did. Well it took me until 2000 to get my act together and start shooting.

I'm now 70 and wish I would have started doing this crazy game at 35-40. That way I would have a lot longer to do it.

Take care Possum,

WJ

W,

I remember TDK, not sure he had a certified SASS member as there was another Durango Kid in CO. but the fellow from TX sure enjoyed the game....and in his own way. He would wear a mask, and have B-western music playing from tabe while he shot....and he would shoot like they did in westerns, even around a corner or whatever he wanted, caring less about the score. What a character. Remember his shooting at one of Paladins matches I went to down at Eagle Lake.

bb

I'm almost 50. I'm a cop and we shoot a lot, which is fun, but it's also well...work. I'm not into all the tactical stuff and I carry a 1911 instead of all the glocks everyone else does. I don't care for competitive pistol shooting as it's all egos. I was discussing this, as we often do, with a pard of mine at work who thinks like me. I was mentioning I love lever guns and 6 shooter pistols and was thinking about getting a couple cowboy guns in .45 colt just because. Anyway my pard mentioned he used to shoot CAS back in the day with his dad (I think his SASS # is in the 4000's). Next thing I knew I was visiting a local shoot and when i saw how everyone acted and how much fun they were having I was hooked. My Pard got back in it too and we are having a blast. My guns are 45 colt because I just like to sling big lead down range and hearing it go clang. I'm not in it to be fast and people are ok with that. For that I thank you all.

Oh and my wife who had never fired or wanted to fire a gun in her entire life went too, and she shot a complete strangers guns and now she wants to do it to.... So does my 21 year old son...I'm working on the 26 and 24 year olds...

Early 90's...had been talkin' to a fella at the local gunshows what had set up a display of guns & accoutrements and playing home videos to recruit new shooters to the first of two SASS-affiliates in OR at the time.

I'd also been reading everything written by Venturino, Taffin, and Spangenberger in the gun mags.

Found we had a lot in common...interest in the Old West (movies & guns)...both of us had been raised in the B&W TV Western era.

He was a part-time bounty hunter (bail jumpers)...I had hunted coydogs for scalps in Idaho during calving season before moving to Orygun.

Told him that I had the firearms (only one SA revolver required back then) ... .44mag Arminius, .44mag Winchester 1894AE Trapper, and a 20ga. SxS.

One fine Saturday in June, I was at my favorite gunshop in Salem (just recently closed due to retirement)...Lucky happened to be there that day & said that there was a match down in Albany on Sunday (Father's Day). He said he knew I had the guns & also knew where I lived...he'd be by in the AM to pick me up. I told him that I would drive down there to check it out. He told me I'd best be prepared to do some shooting.

That's all it took...came in close to last (19/21), but had FUN!! despite being nervous with equipment issues (slip hammering that German SA, slllooooww lever gun, and the SG went "single shot" during a 8-round stage). We were using stop watches and sweep second hands for timing.

Thought at the time was that this was something I might just enjoy on a reg'lar basis...and the folks were super friendly & helpful to a newbie.

Upgraded some of my equipment in short order (added a Colt SAA in .44spl and a Rossi 12ga Coach gun).

Acquiring (collecting?) mo' gunz got to be almost as much a habit as attending the local monthly matches.

Had an Appaloosa mountain pony for a few years...seriously considered Mounted Shooting at one time, but moved into town & sold the horse rather than board him out.

That's the "short version"...

IIRC, I weren't quite 40 at the time...now legal for SENIOR as of a month ago. ^_^

...just LUCKY to be here & part of this GREAT family/sport/game/lifestyle (pick one or more)

PWB

Mortimer Smith started working where I do Summer 2012. He was showing us one of his living history videos and then a video of him shooting the Mighty Spencer at a Wartrace match. He invited me to come down to a match and I was hooked.

Just turned 39.

TC

Jones and Wildfiring Whitey took me to a match at The Cowboys in Norco, Ca. In Nov. 2006. I was hooked. I met the nicest people there and Laylow Curley spent quite a bit of time explaining the sport to me. I'm 59 and wish I'd found CAS 30 years ago, one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

After reading all the post on this thread. I hope the Wild Bunch and company are taking some notes. They can target some of these areas with advertisement to promote the sport. I have talk to people who have never heard of this fine sport. I myself have gotten 6 people to become full time cowboy shooters.

:) Even my wife is now a full time cowboy shooter. She never shot in any of the other shooting sports that I shot in. This makes the sport even more fulfilling for me.

Cheatin'

After reading all the post on this thread. I hope the Wild Bunch and company are taking some notes. They can target some of these areas with advertisement to promote the sport. I have talk to people who have never heard of this fine sport. I myself have gotten 6 people to become full time cowboy shooters.

:) Even my wife is now a full time cowboy shooter. She never shot in any of the other shooting sports that I shot in. This makes the sport even more fulfilling for me.

Cheatin'

Same with my wife. Didn't mind if I owned/shot guns, or how, but never held an interest in 'em herself. That changed when I took her up to the Jackson Hole Regulators to watch and Slick McClade, General Jubal Early & Doc Cooper showed her how much fun it is.

Guest Jess Money

I was at our local gun club meeting in McComb and heard a fellow talking about Cowboy Action Shooting. At age 70 and naturally inquisitive, I asked what CAS was and he said.. "Come to Amite tomorrow and I'll show you."

I did, he did and we both still do.

Thanks for the introduction two years ago to a wonderful shooting sport and a great way of life, Lousiana Cuz!

After being "retired" from long distance competitions for 20+ years, I decided to look into other gun compettion sports. I was watching IPDA and 3 gun videos on youtube and one of the videos that came up as a suggestion was one with Long Hunter demonstrating shooting a rifle in SASS. Wasn't so sure about the "cowboy" costuming aspect, but did enjoy the idea of using antique weapons. Watched a few more by him, and thought this looked a LOT more fun than competing with the much-younger and much-fitter competitors in 3 gun in my area. While I know I'll never be at the top of the finishers anywhere, not being called "grandpa" by the 3 gun guys makes all the difference.

I was 50 when I saw it. Took me a year to get the firearms together and learn how to use them effectively. I joined SASS this year, at age 52.

while out in Wyoming on a cattle drive with a bunch of people from the fire house we made a side trip one day to South Pass City. It was here in South Pass that I met my first SASS members who were in costume and answering questions about the history of the town. They then explained the organization and this is when my interest was peaked. Came home and purchased my first Uberti 45 colt, but it stopped there. Here we are almost 10 yrs later and we just signed the whole family up for some fun.....

Got into guns about 5 years ago, reading magazines to learn more. Was in the airport and saw Guns of the Old West with a cover story on (who else) John Wayne's guns.

I'd honestly had no idea that folks were making sixguns, let alone shooting them.

The first pistol purchased 4 years ago was a practical Glock. The second was an unexpected win on a Uberti SAA off of Gunbroker.

I visited a very local club a month later, shot at a practice match a month later. It's been good since.

I'm 57 and I grew up watching TV westerns with my dad. That is definitely a factor in my enjoyment of the sport.

Well, it started like this. Bout 15 years ago I saw an episode of Shooting USA (I think) with CAS (Lead Dispencer, Evil Roy, Holy Terror etc.) I was bout 30 then. I said to myself, I wanna do that. Bout 10 years and 3 kids later, I was talking to my cousin Texas Crazy Clay and the subject of CAS came up. We both said we gotta do that. So I got to digging on the internet and found the Texas State Shoot coming in about a month. I started putting everything together, joined SASS, and sent my application in for Texas State. (I really didn't realize that the local clubs had organized shoots.) In my preparations I got on the SASS wire and asked a question about rifles. Captain Stephen D. Hill answered my question, and invited me to Orange for their shoot the week before State. Thankfully I went. Captain loaned me a gun cart and gave me plenty of pointers, along with all the other fine Cowboys at Orange. I shot state the next weekend and have been hooked eversince. Now my lovely wife Jo Mama Crazy, son Venom, daughter Shell B Crazy, and cousin Texas Crazy Clay shoot with me, and Ive got a 9 year old I'm still trying to hook. Thanks Capt, Gator, Cajun Queen, Possum, Crosscut and all the other fine Cowboys that helped me get started and are still helping.

Been In the game for only about 3 years now. Was on the phone with a old school friend and roommate. Hadn't seen him in years, we both had lived the cowboy life style when where younger. He told me that he was going to look into CAS well I did some reserarch and thought that it sounded pretty cool. I all so worked with a guy that had done Cowboy action for quite a few years with his son. Just happened that he was selling his match pistols because he had just bought a set of old model ruger bisely's. Well that was all it took to gt me started bought a '92 off the wire and a new stoger coach gun the next weekend was a rare shoot in my hometown. The rest is history. Wasn't when I started but am now over 50.

I First heard about SASS from my late uncle, "Tillamook Kidd"...aka TK. I always found it interesting when he would visit and talk about it. When my uncle suddenly passed away in 2008, things got put on hold, until this year. Now that my son is 14 and I'm closer to 50 than 40!! Time to have another hobby to enjoy with my son while he is still at home and I can enjoy his company, as he is growing up way too fast!!! Thanks to Ol#4 and Kulshan for getting us started on our journey..looking forward to the adventure!!

I'm 54 years old,

6 years ago we went to Texas to visit my wife's sister and her husband. I've always loved anything having to do with the old west. We visited the Alamo and I bought a Non Firing replica of a 73 peacemaker. when I got home I was looking online for holsters and came across a reference to CAS. I followed the link... Then I was on a on line forum and discovered that it was happenning up here in Canada, someone told me about a club in my province and I went. within a year I had all the guns and a custom rig.

What an amazing time.

Frenchy

I had seen SASS advertised in a few magazines and never really looked into it until I saw a flyer in a local gunshop for a shoot that was about 40 miles away. I followed one posse for 6 stages. After they were done one crafty character said "Anyone like to try this stage" I tried it. I watched once more at a different club. Watching didn't cut it. At the time I had 1 SAA and a 97. Now I have more than I really need as far as guns go.

My father started me shooting when I was 5 or so shooting tin cans poker chips etc. I tried small bore rifle in High school but to me it was boring. I always liked plinking when you get a reaction from the target. So shooting at steel was right up my alley. I was 47 when I started cowboy shooting. In 6 days I can be in the senior categories. Met a bunch of fine people along the way.

Dustin

met a former work friend, Slippery Stew, at a local gun show last year. He invited me and my wife to a monthly match and all the shooters were very friendly. We were hooked and I joined SASS this week.

Now 64, heard about cowboy matches (Judge Roy Bean) matches back in the one pistol days when I was 44 at Ft Bliss1994, learned about SASS as well shot a few matches, pretty informal did not have to be a SASS member. Was also shooting High Power at the time. The high power club built a 600 yard range for our club matches. The day we shot across the course was the same day of the Roy Bean Matches quit shooting Roy Bean, started again 8 years ago or so. Back in the day, matches were ok but shooting a Ruger Vaquero was at a real disadvantage. Just about every stage had an on the clock reload. Scofields ruled the range, Colts and clones that indexed for unloading 2nd, Vaqueros with out indexing could go to far and have to go all the way around again to get that piece of brass out.

Very glad we are not doing reloads very often.

Archived