SASS Wire Forum

Where did you hear about CAS?

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An electrician doing some work on a construction project at one of the wastewater plants I operate invited me to a shoot. When I got there him and some friends had guns and leather for me. I went to watch but shot the match! Been hooked ever since.

A friend of mine that loved the old west and had always wanted to get into CAS had mentioned it to me. I was shooting IDPA and did not like the lack of fellowship among the shooters, and started looking into CAS, and the rest is history.

Age 42

Stumbled across refernces to CAS while searching the internet for a new gun.

Did a little more research and found several clubs in the area and decided to go for a ride one day to see what it was about.

We met a fella (Hot Rod) who owned a gun shop that shot Cowboy and we went to watch him at Firelands. We bought all of our guns over the winter and our first shoot was the next Spring at Jackson Six Shooters.

Moved to the Phenix City AL/ Columbus GA area in 2006. The Columbus local magazine had a article about the local CAS club. Went out to watch and the rest is history!!! I wish I still had the magazine it was a very good article.

Cheatin'

Well I'm over 50, but I hope you won't mind if I share my story anyway.

My kids were about grown and I was looking to get back in to shooting more. My brother in law and I were talking and he filled me in on all the gun sports he knew about, including CAS. I thought CAS sounded a bit on the silly side, and decided to check out an IDPA match first, after all I had a gun that would work for that. As it turned out I slept thru the alarm and by the time I got up I wouldn't have been able to make it to the match as it was a ways away. There was a cowboy match the same day, and much closer, so I figured what the heck, I'll go see what it was like just for grins. After all I had none of the guns needed for it and didn't figure on ever getting in to it. I was welcomed with open arms and encouraged to try a couple stages. That's all it took, I was hooked.

I am over 50 but will tell you anyway.

I was looking for a new holster for my c&b pistol on ebay when I noticed a few mention SASS in their description. Well being the curious type I had to see what SASS stood for. After some searching on the internet I found the SASS and CAS sites. I then found some local clubs online with photos and it peeked my interest. So I went to a couple shoots and here I am.

Found a bunch of people that I consider friends both here and at matches. And it is a lot of FUN !

First saw it on "American Shooter" years ago but I didn't have the money to do it then. A couple of years ago a new small club started up about an hour away and I saved all my pennies to complete my gear. I have since dragged my Dad and brother into it and I am working on one or two friends. I don't have the time to do it often(about 2-4 times a year) but I always have a blast.

P.S.

Cheatin, we are fairly close, I live in Albany.

Always have loved westerns and single action revolvers. I saw a magazine with cas mentioned in it. I looked it up and a few years later, after one horrible experience with a now shut down club i tried a different club. Have enjoyed it for almost three years now

I had overheard someone talking about an action shooting sport that "reinacted" the old west at the range clubhouse. I went home and Googled cowboy shooting and found a club right down the street from me. The rest, as they say, is history.

JEL

There's a reason he's asking the under 50 crowd. He doesn't want to know how I got started 20 years ago. Please try to play along.

Fillmore

Fillmore,

I apologize for excluding the over 50 crowd. What convinced me to start this post was another thread where it was stated the younger generation did not find CAS fun or exciting and wouldn't get interested in anything 'real'.

Some think CAS is dying with the older 'Howdy Doody' generation. I was just trying to show a different page.

I enjoy hearing all the stories about how folks of all ages got started and have changed the OP slightly.

Possum

Over 50 now. But was under when I started.

Seen a flyer for a local SASS club at a gun store.

Got me to looking on line and found the SASS home page and then the wire.

Asked some questions and from those found a new shooters clinic down by Austin.

A friend had been after me for a few years to try it, I was into hi-power rifle at the time and with Camp Perry close by it took a few years before I relented. Watched that match, no one offered to let me shoot, next match at another club I had borrowed guns, next match I had my own.

biggest shame, that friend and I no longer talk.

pb

I am over 70.I was looking on youtube at some shooting vids. and came across some with CAS.I found the sass site and joined before I ever met any cowboys or cowgirls.I call a contact number for the club in Orange,Texas and went to the cowboys house and there was two more cowboys and a cowgirl there.When to the shoot the next weekend.That was 3 years ago.I was hooked.

On the Outdoor Channel. Got hooked when getting certified for something else at my gun range. Met Loden B Kwik (and a whole lot of other nice pards), whom I saw on one of those first tv shows. They strapped a bunch of cowboy gear on me... and 4 stages later that was that.

I was under 50 in them days

it was in my jeep 4 x 4 days, and I waz headed out on a Sunday jeep run in the desert lands of Nevada

I stopped by a feed store, that sold gas and adult beverages, jerky and such

on the way out the door, a 8 x 11 flyer was pasted at eye height on the door as you pushed it open

posted by a local cowboy action shooting club

the rest is history

dont even have a jeep anymore

I've always been partial to revolvers and fairly accurate with them. When I got my CCW I realized that although accuracy is importat, I needed to become faster. While browsing youtube I stumbeled on a set of videos that Wolf Windwalker had done introducing Cowboy Actons Shooting. I also thought it looked a bit silly but thought it would be fun way to increase my speed. I found a local club online and, while looking at pictures of the board, I realized that I knew the VP. The rest is history...

54 yo

I bought a heritage six shooter and inside was pamplet for SASS, jumped on the internet and found a club close to me and the rest is history.

KK

Met T-Bone Dooley been hooked ever since. Showed up at a monthly match had pistols and rifle no shotgun a great pard named Free At Last loaned me a shotgun the Bar 3 guys are great.. I was 47 at the time

In 1992. I was up in a local canyon shooting knockdown targets I had made. 2" up to 5".

I shooting them with my Ruger Single Six.

Along came a man and a woman who were shooting lever rifles.

He came over and ask about the targets. We talked for a while.

What he was having a problem with was the pull up rope to the targets was 100 feet long.

He told me about CAS and that there were several clubs within an hours drive and one just 10 minutes down the rode from where we were at.

So I got directions and went the next weekend.

Turned out I had all the guns in my safe.

I have always been a single action guy.

I didn't own a pistol caliber lever rifle but sitting int he safe was my son's 357 Rossi 92.

I even had leather.

So after going to several local clubs, I decided to sign up for my first match.

My first shot in a cas match was End of Trail 1992.

That was a very humbling experience.

After watching a 12 year old boy shoot a side match of speed pistol.

I unloaded my guns and without ever firing a shot.

I went and sat in my truck for an hour trying to decide if I wanted to do this.

Well, money won as I had already spent the money, I was going to get something out of it.

I finishes 256 of over 600. After thinking about it, I realized that was very good for a first time ever in competition shooting.

Now that was when I was 42 years old. Now I'm 63.

That's 21 years of doing this. And I don't see any reason to leave. I have slowed down on the number of matches I have been doing but that is about to change as I am going to get back to shooting matches.

I have attended matches every month without fail. I pickup and deliver to shooters after reloading their brass.

So it is all JD Walker's fault I got involved in CAS.

Yea, he's still around up there in Southern Oregon territory.

Thanks a lot, John. I mean that in a very good way.

Hi Possum Skinner,

The short story is "from Hubby."

The longer story is as follows. In the early '90s, a friend of a friend, Tyree, told the friend, alias Rio, about it. Hubby and Rio, both decided to give it a try and loved it.

I'd been taking classes (to get promotions), snow skiing, and working 40 hours a week during Hubby's first years shooting CAS. When I finally graduated in 1998, I decided it was time to give it a try. In May 1999, I attended my first match and was/still am hopelessly addicted.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Started making a little more money and subscribe to Direct TV. Outdoor Channel Wednesday on the Range. Tactical Shooting for most of the evening but found myself board. I caught a glimps of a show with some guy named Tupelo Flash and a buch of people dressed up like Cowboys and Cowgirls. Told the wife one day I going to do that.

About 6 years later saved up for most of the year bought guns and started shooting......

Age 34

Brings back pleasant memories to think about that. Of course being from NETX 15 years ago CAS was not known to many. I had been sucessfully shooting IHMSA for over twenty years and even that was not a wide spread event in the area. However, a couple from NV often visited my neigbor and from them I was told a little about CAS......then one year while at Raton the week after a Shootist Holiday my wife and I went over to visit some other friends, also from NV. This couple, Cactus Concha & English Andy, we knew thru the entertainment business. Anyway CC was a vendor at the OWSA shoot so while visiting, Andy ask me to come along with him so to show me what this new game was all about. He loaded up his revolver at a stage and pointed to the targets. I began shooting at target not far away then he announced, No, no, thats the rifle targets. Wow..... I was hooked thinking how easy this would be versus silhouettes. I soon learned that time was also a big factor, not just hitting targets. Once hooked on the sport Concha fixed us both up with lots of clothes. When Andy came down to NETX with band we would get together going to my practice range and shoot and such then when we went to Vegas for events we visited them. Sure miss them all....Chuck, Caliente Belle, Andy, and Concha.......the good l days.

57 now, 38 when I started. I had opened a small gun store in San Luis Obispo, California in the early 90's. I had read about CAS in gun mags, an article by Mike Venturino I think.

One of my customers, a retired fella had dropped off some catalogs and magazines he didn't need. Among them was an EMF catalog and a Cowboy Chronicle. A few days later, another customer was hanging out and he asked if I had heard of the "Cowboy shooting thing". I said I had and gave him the stack of stuff I had been given.

In the Chronicle was a letter asking if anyone in our area was interested in getting together and giving the sport a try. Those 2 fellas got together and with the help of a friendly rangemaster at the local sportsmen's association, started having matches one Sunday afternoon a month. This was the beginning of the Chorro Valley Regulators, the 12th club to associate with SASS and now the host of the SASS Western Regional, the 20th Annual Chorro Valley Shoot-Out.

Fillmore

Got invited to watch my older brother shoot at Winter Range. I was 53 at the time.

Still remember his saying: It's the fastest way to change money into smoke and noise. I don't make a lot of smoke but I get my monies worth of noise.

Barry Sloe

Archived