SASS Wire Forum

Upgraded to a Ruger Vaquero any hints to make it better?

Bugsbunnyshooter

I have been shooting two times a week for a while to get ready for CAS so I decided to treat myself to a summer gift a new Ruger Vaquero in .45 colt. Its also my made it to summer break gift. My question is what are some good mods to make to it.

I have seem a lot of youtube videos the last to days on breaking it down and reassembly.

Have you tried the Poor Mans Trigger Job? Removing one of the legs of the hammer spring off the post. was this good or bad?

Adding Wolff springs?

Long Hunter spring kits $14 each plus 5.95 shipping. These are Wolff springs, the finest made. DON'T unhook one leg, please, they were not made to be fired like that, it's asking for trouble.

PS Good for you getting a Ruger there is not a tougher revolver on the market. The Vaquero and New Vaquero are in my opinion the best cowboy action revolver money can buy.

I have a pair of NMV that are starting their thrid season. I have not done anything to them and the have been running just fine. I would suggest you run the very durable Rugers as they are and then make any changes in the coming Winter.

Barleycorn is correct. Unhooking a leg works, but isn't "best." Your going to wind up with a spring kit so get one that includes the trigger spring. Next VERY important thing is to slug the barrel and check it against the cylinder throats. Ruger is notorious for undersized cylinder throats. The result of undersized throats is poor accuracy, increased recoil and barrel leading.

Coffinmaker

Quality Wolfe Springs, polish the contact points internally. I do not lighten the trigger or hammer fall because I want all primers to go off and if able, a 11 degree muzzle crown for greater accuracy. My guns are for function and not just CAS. It works for me.....

I have a pair of RNV in 357 and shoot 38s, for the first 4 or 5 years I just shot them, alot, and cleaned them hardly ever. I put super black hawk hammers on them this year and like them a lot, both for one handed and two handed shooting. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks that's why I really enjoy the people in CAS good quick answers to all questions.

I might see about getting the spring kit and adding it later in the summer.

With few exceptions, the New Models are pretty good out of the box. That said, you could go nuts, have a short-stroke kit installed, and practically giggle with glee every time you use it...

Cheers,

FJT

Barleycorn is correct. Unhooking a leg works, but isn't "best." Your going to wind up with a spring kit so get one that includes the trigger spring. Next VERY important thing is to slug the barrel and check it against the cylinder throats. Ruger is notorious for undersized cylinder throats. The result of undersized throats is poor accuracy, increased recoil and barrel leading.

Coffinmaker

Congrats, Bugs!

+1 for Coffin's thoughts on undersized cylinder throats. Heard that from more than one gunsmith/ ranked shooter.

On my Bucket List is a NMV Bisley in .45 LC, with a .45 ACP cylinder. Because I can. ;)

I was lucky I was on gunbroker and found a new in the box stainless that nobody had bidded on and I took a chance I almost cried when somebody uped the price by 20.00 in bidding but they gave up and I won.

With what I saved I think I will get the spring kit.

I have been shooting two times a week for a while to get ready for CAS ...

I don't want to discourage anyone from practicing but I'd recommend that you get to a match and get started. A little "real time" match experience is probably very different from what you might be doing on your own.

Howdy,

I think I just selected a new font?? the new wire is a strange place....

Anyhow, shooting em as is for a while will give you a feel for the stock gun.

Then spring kits or new hammers or accurizing and or getting an all out tuneup

can be your options.

Head over to ktgunsmith.com and see what our pard Eightbits has done with his.

Remember he is NOT a commercial gunsmith. He has a real job and hardly

ever takes on other pards guns.

He is usually too busy workin on his next fun gun project.

However West Fargo IS ready and can probably do whatever you want.

I have had guns worked on by a number of pards and it is almost always worth it.

I say almost because some put in really toooo light of a spring and some primers wont fire.

That's the one area of action jobs you need to be careful.

I just got a .45 vaquero done and I am just waitin to get back to the range again.

Very nice, very fun.

Best

CR

Long hunter spring kit.

And just shoot it and shoot it and shoot it .

Given how good RNVs are out of the box, not sure I would spend any money improving it intially. Aslo for this game accurizing is probably not necessary at all, were we shooting paper at 25 or 50 yards that would be a different story. I would spend the $ on ammo or components and learn to shoot what ya got just as fast an accurately as the gun will allow. Once the gun is the limiting factor, it will be time to improve it.

Get all three springs. Hammer, trigger and extra power base pin spring. Then get out there and shoot and enjoy.

Plus 1 more on that.

I have NMV's and installed Wolff Spring kits in them myself. Easy done in a few minutes. No special talents needed.

I would recommend the kit with the 17 lb. hammer springs and the 30 oz. trigger spring, along with the extra power base pin spring.

This resulted is a very nice trigger pull, and easy cocking, and there's NEVER been a failure to fire from a too light hammer strike in 3 years.

The extra power base pin spring is there to help prevent accidental releasing of the base pin, which will render the gun inoperative.

RBK

I run two old model vaqueros and agree a spring kit is a must but what really made the guns nice is modifying the pawls to make them free spin. It ain't an nesesity but it sure helps out on loading and unloading. Especially loading on the clock..

Great choice in the Ruger Vaquero's!

I'm not so sure that the more recent "New" Vaquero has the same throat size problem that the original Vaquero had......and that was with the large caliber only if I am not mistaken. Even so, there is no reason not to slug the barrel and measure cylidner throats just for piece of mind.

I run the 14 lb hammer springs in my SASS Vaqueros and am best off using Federal primers in my reloads....fires them every time if I do my part pulling back hammers when slip hammering. It fires others nearly all of the time so I'd say 15 lb hammer spring might be best.....none are necessary though, OEM works pretty well too. Remember, New Vaquero's require a different spring kit (shorter hammer spring) than the original Vaquero's due to frame size and that stupid lawyer lock beneath grips I'd guess.

Personally, I haven't ever had the need for the reverse/free spin pawl. Besides, New Vaquero's already have a reverse/free spin pawl......you just have to remove the little stop on recoil plate that prevents the cylider from rotating backwards. I find it nice how each chamber aligns perfectly at loading and unloading tables with OEM New Vaqueros. On the clock, there are other methods that allow for a quick reload and shoot.

If you are handy, there is a way to modify the original trigger to achieve the lighter trigger pull weight to that of the Wolff trigger spring included in their kit but is hardly worth it since they are so cheap. I've performed that modification in the past and it worked well for me. A trigger pull gauge can help get them the same during the process if you decide to go that route.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

In the end, I fully agree that none of this is necessary until you become faster than your gun. Personally, I can't leave anything alone so take it for what it is worth. Modifying/personalizing the equipment, etc. is at least half of the fun for me.

Archived