SASS Wire Forum

is there a 44 magnum SAA

Trigger Mike

Here is one on a gun auction site: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=331321823. Though no longer in production Ruger Old Model Vaqueros as still available on the used market. They are heavy revolvers.

Look for Guns made by J.P.Sauer and Sohn in Germany. Hawes Western Marshall makes .44 mag. I have several. Also other importers like F.I.E. out of Miami Fl. (Firearms Import Export). Also Arminius by H. Weihrauch. They are all made by J.P. Sauer. Strong as a Tank, Great quality guns. Here is a pic of one.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/MilesFortis-AKChurch_BuffaloBore/Hawes.jpg

and a pic of the Arminius.

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/8730121216/10044022/mg_0334.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Also Hy Hunter in .44 Mag

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2011/11/23/235579_01_hy_hunter_single_action_22_640.jpg

Jake

The EAA Bounty Hunter (formerly Arminius) is also available in .44mag.

Stoutly built...only drawback I've noticed is a really lonnng hammer throw.

Check The OutdoorsTrader website on a daily basis, under Handgun Section. In a matter of a few months you'll be able to get a Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag. in SS or blued. It may take several months to acquire a pair, and you'll be very, very lucky to get 2 that actually match. You'll have better luck getting 2 Ruger Blackhawks in .44 Mag. and although buying separately, good chances getting a matched pair. Vaqueros will be $400-$550 range, Blackhawks $350-$500.

www.theoutdoorstrader.com/forum.php

Uberti also made a .44Mag version of the Regulator.

I've seen exactly 2- I own one and a guy that I shot CAS with about 10 years ago had another one. both of us thought the other should sell his so one of us could have a matched pair. Needless to say, that one never happened. Both had 6 inch (not 5.5 inch) barrels and are slightly larger than the .45Colt Uberti's I own.

My first CAS guns were stainless Ruger Bisleys in .44 mag. I use .44 Russians in them. I still use them for BP matches with APP. Again, with Russians as a full case of APP in .44 mag. is somewhat stiff and I'm getting real old. I still use .44 mag. in my Marlin. I did not like using .44 Spl. as they were too hard to sort from the Mags.

I think now that my dad who gave me the 44 magnum Rossi lever action is really bad off I am wanting to carry it more and want a pistol to go with it for sake of using the same caliber. I don't want to really use it for cowboy shooting so much as a rifle to carry around the farm.

Hard to go wrong with any Ruger.

The Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are extremely dependable and have sites that be adjusted for various loads and ranges.

The old-model Vaqueros are excellent guns but you will have to either adjust the sites and loads for POA=POI or keep ranges under 25 yards. Using the rifle as a main gun and the revolver as a backup, this should not be a problem.

The Rossi 1892 is a strong gun but will last longer if you stay with 240-grain bullets at factory velocities.

Uberti also made a .44Mag version of the Regulator.

I've seen exactly 2- I own one and a guy that I shot CAS with about 10 years ago had another one. both of us thought the other should sell his so one of us could have a matched pair. Needless to say, that one never happened. Both had 6 inch (not 5.5 inch) barrels and are slightly larger than the .45Colt Uberti's I own.

Saw one 4 years ago in a gunshop in Mountainview CA. Really good price too. Add that one down to the should have bought it list.

Hey Mike, take a look at Amoskeag Auctions, open up the silent auction catalog and start browsing. IIRC they had a stainless vaquero in 44Mag listed and are happy to work with folks by phone, fax or online.

Archived