SASS Wire Forum

SxS Shotgun reload

baddwolf7

I am new to SASS having shot only about 4 matches. This may be an out of this world question but here it is. I saw somewhere on this wonderful world of the internet that you could put a lil Pledge on ya shotgun shells and it would make them faster to shuck out and reload. I figure that 1, trying to reload a shell with Pledge on it may make it just a lil slippery to get a handle on them, 2 might be considered as gaming and 3 dont know how an exploding device, i.e. shotgun shell and Pledge might mix.Any one ever try this? and if so did a trip to the e.r. follow it or maybe to ya local gunsmith?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know lots of folks who spray Ballistol on their shotgun shells just before shooting so they shuck easier. I don't do it myself, I just make sure to keep the chambers clean. I think Pledge might be a bad idea, it doesn't smell as good as Ballistol either.

And some use a little bit of Armor-All or other car vinyl dressing to clean and polish their old worn-out hulls. :blush:

As long as you don't get so much oil onto the shell that it is making them slippery to grab, or cause high pressures (would take a LOT), there should not be a problem.

Be aware the some oils are not compatible with BP fouling and might make a sticky, hard-to-clean mess in the chamber if you are shooting Black powder shells.

Good luck, GJ

I did a "poormans action job" on the chambers of my sxs. get a 12ga bore mop and chuck it into a variable speed drill. cover the mop with SemiChrome Polish....put in the chamber and start to slowly scrub the chambers. do this til very smooth.

I then get another bore mop and put it on the end of a stick or rod, put it in a plastic bottle and keep it soaked with silicone. swab the chambers before the match and sometimes if ya need to run them thru a couple of passes during the match...shells should fall right out...

curley

I figure that 1, trying to reload a shell with Pledge on it may make it just a lil slippery to get a handle on them,

You figure correctly. One of the most improtant parts about loading a SxS quickly is your grip on the fresh shells. ANYTHING that interferes with that will lose you time.

The ways of ensuring easy shucking of spent shells is:

1) Smooth/polished cylinders. A piece of emery cloth on a wooden dowel in a drill works wonders for this.

2) Always keep those polished cylinders spotlessly clean. One speck of dirt can be enough to cause a shell to stick. Buy a shotgun cylinder swab and keep it in your gun cart. Clean the cylinders after EVERY stage.

3) Always make sure your fresh shells are spotlessly clean. Inserting a dirty shell into a clean cylinder defeats the purpose of #2.

4) Buy smooth walled shells. Ribbed shells tend to stick in the cylinders. Winchester Double As are a good example of the right kind of shell.

I am new to SASS having shot only about 4 matches. This may be an out of this world question but here it is. I saw somewhere on this wonderful world of the internet that you could put a lil Pledge on ya shotgun shells and it would make them faster to shuck out and reload. I figure that 1, trying to reload a shell with Pledge on it may make it just a lil slippery to get a handle on them, 2 might be considered as gaming and 3 dont know how an exploding device, i.e. shotgun shell and Pledge might mix.Any one ever try this? and if so did a trip to the e.r. follow it or maybe to ya local gunsmith?

What is your definition of gaming?

Never heard of the Pledge thing.

Armor-All, Silicone, Ballistol. Yep.

If you do. Remember. I little goes a long way.

I have sprayed a little Armor-All on a rag (very little) and wiped mine down defore. Only to make sure all the dust

is off of them. But it does not take much at all. Don't want the rag wet. Just barly damp.

Most time I don't use anything. Just make sure everything is clean.

Use hulls in good condition. If the crimp splits and the mouth of the hull flares out too much, the hull can hang in there no matter what magic potions you use.

Yup, know a very good and fast shooter that does that, not sure with pledge exactly, but similar. I reckon the secret is to get some on a cloth and wipe the shells so that there is enough to shuck well, but not so much you can't hold on to them.

Also a bore mop in the chambers every couple of stages helps from what I'm told.

Me, I'm slow and don't wipe my shells with anything, nor clean chambers during a match.

Grizz

someone who thought of it BEFORE me. :lol:

cc

I doubt if a new shooter thought of that term all by himself, so I wondered what he thought it meant. There are a lot of low life shooters out there that equate gamer with cheater and the easily contaminate new shooters.

I'd hone my chambers slick, an use clean hulls.

If your hulls are slick, well the first thing you gotta do is grab em an putem in two holes at the same time. If there slick to tha touch I promise you it will bite you in tha butt afore long!

Nothing shucks shells like a clean dry honed/slick chamber.

More important ta never reload a stepped on hull. They hang tha most for me.

RRR

Watched a certain young female shooter wipe down her shells with something (paste wax - pledge???)Do not remember what she was using or if she still does. Hope she sees this and can comment. Use to work for Glock and is related to that Evil Roy guy.

After assembly, I lay shells on a newspaper and spray them with BreakFree, wipe tem down with a cloth and box them. Mostly, this removes dust and stuff. I don't know if it helps with shucking. Hope so :P .

Seems like a gamer thing to do in retrospect, but I will continue.

Chancy

You figure correctly. One of the most improtant parts about loading a SxS quickly is your grip on the fresh shells. ANYTHING that interferes with that will lose you time.

The ways of ensuring easy shucking of spent shells is:

1) Smooth/polished cylinders. A piece of emery cloth on a wooden dowel in a drill works wonders for this.

2) Always keep those polished cylinders spotlessly clean. One speck of dirt can be enough to cause a shell to stick. Buy a shotgun cylinder swab and keep it in your gun cart. Clean the cylinders after EVERY stage.

3) Always make sure your fresh shells are spotlessly clean. Inserting a dirty shell into a clean cylinder defeats the purpose of #2.

4) Buy smooth walled shells. Ribbed shells tend to stick in the cylinders. Winchester Double As are a good example of the right kind of shell.

Thank you Philly Slim for saving me from having to write all that. Perfect advice

Here ya go! Time proven way to get shells to fall out of a SXS shotgun.

Use a brake cylinder hone and hone the machine marks out of your chambers, using a honing fluid or Transmission Fluid works well. That doesn't take all that much, but will remove the ridges of the tool marks and smooth the chambers.

Then, make a mandrel out of a wooden dowel, and wrap it with 0000 steel wool and place it in a drill. Then polish those chambers till they are super slick. Then add some Flitz polishing compound to the steel wool and polish till it has a bright shine.

That should do it. Shells will simply fall out of the chambers. Use only ammo with BRASS case heads. That means Rem STS or Win. AA, or Federal Gold Medal ammo. No other ammo has BRASS case heads. Lots of ammo looks like brass, but it is not. Just a colored wash over the steel case heads to help retard rust.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

RBK

Gold Canyon Kid, I refer to anything as seeking to gain an advantage that might be on the gray side of the rules. Also just for the record I have shot other organizations before moving to SASS.

Why would wipeing down your shells be on the gray side of the rules???

I prefer slipping by the local McDonalds in the middle of the night and getting me a bucket of nugget and french fry grease. Saturate my shells during a match, slides and shucks great and makes me hungry for a big mac at the same time, after the match that is.

Guess I am on the gray side of the rules then.

Just loaded about 100 of those gray hulls.

And they was a little dusty. So I did wipe them down.

Again. Just enough to get them cleaned up.

Gold Canyon Kid, I refer to anything as seeking to gain an advantage that might be on the gray side of the rules. Also just for the record I have shot other organizations before moving to SASS.

Please define gray side of the rules. Aren't you are either doing it legally or illegally?

Well, if wiping down your shotgun shells is gamer then my short stroke rifle, polished shotgun chambers, action job revolvers, shirt garters to keep sleeves back. and mouse fart loads are darn near cheating....LOL.

Next thing you know I will start practicing.

Gold Canyon if you look at my post again you see I said might be considered as gaming. I was attempting to clarify whether the method I was discussing was legal or could considered that way from one place to another. You seem to focus on what I consider gaming and do not address the rest of the issue of the post. I admitted I was not sure what the thoughts on this practice was. By the way, what is your personal stance on this issue? Is it legal, illegal or like crossing a barb wired fence and getting stuck 1/2 way across and getting a sharp barb in ya butt. Been there running from a mad bull once, wasn't fun

Can't believe that someone hasn't asked what type of shells you're using. Most who use SMOOTH shells like Winchester AA's or Remington STS's don't have a problem. Ribbed shells, now that's another issue.

Gold Canyon if you look at my post again you see I said might be considered as gaming. I was attempting to clarify whether the method I was discussing was legal or could considered that way from one place to another. You seem to focus on what I consider gaming and do not address the rest of the issue of the post. I admitted I was not sure what the thoughts on this practice was. By the way, what is your personal stance on this issue? Is it legal, illegal or like crossing a barb wired fence and getting stuck 1/2 way across and getting a sharp barb in ya butt. Been there running from a mad bull once, wasn't fun

Have you read the rules?

Where does it say that you can't do this?

Phantom

:FlagAm:

PS: It don't say nuthin about baby powder...but TEX has used it on his SG loops...that's a hint.

And I let my babies grow up . . . what a waste!

It is legal, it is just neither necessary with a well prepared and maintained shotgun, at least in the eyes of many experienced shooters. Keep in mind if it gets on your hand it stays there. Anything that interferes with your grip can result in a minor or major problem. dropping a shell is part of the game, dropping a gun, should not be, drop a loaded gun and it is time to go home.

Gaming is not a dirty word to everyone. It is perhaps better to ask is it legal and if it is legal, is it within the spirit of the game? It may be legal sometimes and against your personal idea of how the game should be played. The game should be played by the existing rules, no more, no less. If you have a personal idea of how you want to play that fits within the rules great, mine may also fit and not be identical-just respect other shooters choices and have a good time. And there is nothing wrong with trying to win.

Archived