SASS Wire Forum

SxS Shotgun reload

baddwolf7

Philly, looks like ya need a bigger bucket for a left side holster. :lol:

And believe me, I took some MAJOR ribbing for that at the time. Since this is a family site I won't repeat some of the suggestions I got for how to prevent that from happening again in the future. :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicely done, PSlim and yeah that left side re-holster kinda reminded me of myself.

New shooters and old shooters alike would do well to listen to Red River Ray, the master of the 2row.

Forgot to answer one of the Kid's questions. I got that wisdom about the not so slick chambers shucking better from talking to local trap shooters. That's all.

Maybe Jacknife will chime back in on that. Y'all may not know it but he is a champeen multi-discipline shotgun man from way back.

And not just a watermelon mechanic!

CBB, that's great shooting!

Philly Slim, Nice shooting, well except for that reholster thingy :lol: My intent wasn't saying everyone was boasting, just a few.

And since I threw it out there, here's me at the Georgia State Match fumbling through a stage :P

JEL

You're obviously mistaken. It's been decreed that, "All that Pledge, Armor All, Ballistol business is just folks doing their unnecessary between stages superstitious mumbo jumbo." :lol:

Philly, I resemble that remark :lol:

CBB, that's great shooting!

Philly Slim, Nice shooting, well except for that reholster thingy :lol: My intent wasn't saying everyone was boasting, just a few.

And since I threw it out there, here's me at the Georgia State Match fumbling through a stage :P

JEL

Nice shooting by both of you!

I agree that all have a "system" for how they handle their SG - shooting, reloading and slicking up. And each has a way that works for them so it would appear when some speak in absolutes about what should or should not be done those persons are doing a disservice (to newbies in particular). I personally do not care what the other disciplines do with their guns - I am shooting CAS and have found a way that works for me.

My personal best with a SG is 8 targets, SG from the table in 9.01. In practice I can usually get the first two off (from the table) in 2 secs or so (on a good day a few hundredths better). PS Philly Slim - I think the WR SG side match was 8 targets - no more than 4 from one window - no less than 2 from each window.

I like my chambers spotless to start the match and I clean them with a silicone rod and reel cloth after 2 or 3 stages (depending on wind and dust). My SKB's have been slicked up by Johnnie Meadows, the chambers are polished and the chamber mouths have been "funneled" - not ruined.

I wipe down and chamber check every SG shell I reload before it goes in the box - this ensures the shells are round (stepped on shells are tossed ASAP) and clean.

As in all things YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

John Law

In some of my comments I even stated I was no way tryin to be a buckle contender. Heck I am just tryin to keep from losin ground. As my arthritis progresses I am gettin stiffer, slower and some times it is even a effort to complete a match. My tips come from experience and to ease the task.

Lone Dog

Well Pard, you redeemed yourself....mostly...heheh...I too am a quad bypass survivor, ostioarthritis in most joints. I don't shag brass because even the extender grabber is hard for my hands to work...and most of the guys would perfer I NOT shag because I am that slow...they want their brass...all of it.

Ifn you are ever in SoCal, look us up and we will be glad to shoot with you and show you the sights...

I learned long ago that those folks on the wire are NOT the same as off the wire...(altho I do try to be the exception to that rule. I really try to be a stand up pard..and hopefully it works..)

good talkin with ya all

curley who will still swab his chambers when he thinks it needs it.

PS Philly Slim - I think the WR SG side match was 8 targets - no more than 4 from one window - no less than 2 from each window.

You're probably correct. I couldn't remember if it was 6 or 8 so I went with the more conservative number.

(Makes me feel a little better knowing I got 8 in 9 seconds. )

My SKB's have been slicked up by Johnnie Meadows, the chambers are polished and the chamber mouths have been "funneled" - not ruined.

Yep, I shoot Johnny Meadows SKBs also. He's the one who polished the chambers and emphasized cleaning them between each stage. I figure to become the world renown shotgun smith he has, he must know a thing or two about how to treat them and make them run.

When I was shooting more regularly I was shooting my shogun at a hair over 1 second per shot. 4 shots would take between 4 and 5 seconds. Now that is not world class, but I rarely ever miss a shotgun target and I shoot full bore black powder loads.

Nowdays I'd be happy (and surprised) to fire 4 in 6 seconds.

The Georgia State Championship Speed Shotgun Sidematch was 8 K.D's in a pyramid pattern. Outside, outside, then the next pair and so on to the center. I shot it in 8.52. Deuce shot in the low 7s

JEL

I like my chambers spotless to start the match and I clean them with a silicone rod and reel cloth after 2 or 3 stages (depending on wind and dust). My SKB's have been slicked up by Johnnie Meadows, the chambers are polished and the chamber mouths have been "funneled" - not ruined.

I wipe down and chamber check every SG shell I reload before it goes in the box - this ensures the shells are round (stepped on shells are tossed ASAP) and clean.

As in all things YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Yep, I like to start with them clean and clean them out every 2 stages or so. Mine is also an SKB, slicked by the master himself, Dirt Merchant. I can't agree with the earlier statement about cleaning during a match being unnecessary. My last match I finished 4th overall, the difference between 4th and 3rd was less than 3/10 of a second. If the third place cowboy had failed to shuck his shells on the first try just one time I would have finished ahead of him. Now if I could just shoot that SG in the 4 second range consistently..... :huh:

WOW, three pages of this... I'm surprised. I shoot BP/Subs, I use ribbed cases to reload (Remington Gun Club), I don't spray anything on the shells, and I don't have any problems with the hulls coming out. It is very rare that I have a hull stick.

You can spray them with PAM, with Balistol, Pledge, Armorall. You can wash them in Downey fabric softener, or spray them with Silicon or Graphite. You can stick them........... there is no rule against any such thing.. but the fact is, all of those things are simply not necessary, and make it much more likely that you will drop shells on your reload.

Hone and polish the chambers and forcing cone on your shotgun, and be done with it. THAT is the only thing that will prove to be effective without creating other problems.

It is the unfolding crimp that keeps most shells from coming out of the chambers easily. A good crimp at the proper location on your shells will help to reduce the drag. don't use anything over the crimp (such as wax).

I have found that a dry chamber has a much better chance of letting the hull fall out than does one which has been swabbed with oil. Keep the chamber clean, but dry.

Snakebite

The Georgia State Championship Speed Shotgun Sidematch was 8 K.D's in a pyramid pattern. Outside, outside, then the next pair and so on to the center. I shot it in 8.52. Deuce shot in the low 7sJEL

Watched him doing the SG side match at Winter Range. I'd need a Benelli semi-auto to shoot as fast as him. :o

We use pledge. We spray on a towel wipe it on then take a another towel and wipe it off to take off the excess. Works great! Personally I like the lemon scented but to each their own.

Painted Filly

I sure have saved a ton of money not buying or needing Pledge and other sundries since that 3rd and last wife hit the door in '85!!

No Downy, Endust, Mop & Glo, bubble bath, Bounce, etc, etc...

Course all that kinda stuff woulda been cheap if I'da ever found the right woman...

Archived