SASS Wire Forum

SxS Shotgun reload

baddwolf7

baddwolf7, you'll just have to overlook GCK. He likes to get under folks' skin sometimes. Now that I am chiming in he will leave you alone and concentrate on me, his favorite target.

All that Pledge, Armor All, Ballistol business is just folks doing their unnecessary between stages superstitious mumbo jumbo, just don't do it. It's unnecessary. So is swabbing out the chambers between stages. Just unnecessary. But it makes folks feel better and like they are doing something to improve their times. It's all just silly ju-ju. Anything slick on the surface of the plastic part of the shells not to mention your fingers and hands is counter-productive and courting disaster.

I see my pards Armor Alling their shells and swabbing out their bores and I do neither. My shells shuck just as good as anyone's. Waste of time. All you need to do is open a box of AAs or STSs and stick 'em in two by two.

All that amateur chamber polishin' is also not only also a waste of time but it has ruined many good guns.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the handling reasons stated above, I think it is better to treat the chambers of the gun than slick up the shells. I am so fumble-fingered trying to load fast, I don't need help dropping shells!

When I shoot smokeless rounds, I use a bore mop on a short cleaning rod with a little bit of silicone lubricant & wipe out each chamber after each stage. When I shoot BP, I clean the barrels every other stage with moose milk, which accomplishes the same thing. The chambers on my gun have been polished, & the application of lube does help. Using AA or other smooth-sided shells helps as well.

I did see something happen at a match once...a shooter had a 20 ga double that had just come back from being "slicked up" (don't know who did the work). The first time the owner used it, the shells did not come out of the chamber at all because the extractor was broken! He fought it to pull the shells out, cussed, fussed, fumed, etc, with good reason. I suggested he could try the bore mop & silicone spray. First time he used it, the empties dropped right out of the chambers, even with no extractor help. The 2nd pair of empties (4 shotgun knockdowns on the stage) stuck a little, but were still easier to pull out than without the silicone. Draw your own conclusions from that.

HAD

And I let my babies grow up . . . what a waste!

It is legal, it is just neither necessary with a well prepared and maintained shotgun, at least in the eyes of many experienced shooters. Keep in mind if it gets on your hand it stays there. Anything that interferes with your grip can result in a minor or major problem. dropping a shell is part of the game, dropping a gun, should not be, drop a loaded gun and it is time to go home.

Gaming is not a dirty word to everyone. It is perhaps better to ask is it legal and if it is legal, is it within the spirit of the game? It may be legal sometimes and against your personal idea of how the game should be played. The game should be played by the existing rules, no more, no less. If you have a personal idea of how you want to play that fits within the rules great, mine may also fit and not be identical-just respect other shooters choices and have a good time. And there is nothing wrong with trying to win.

Very well said! I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with doing your best, within the confines of the rules, to find the best and fastest way to shoot the stage. Most people who put down competitors who do this are just sore because they didn't think of it first!

As for the question RRR said it best. Hone your chambers slick and keep your hulls dry and they'll fly right out.

I also fall into that superstitious ju-ju bunch and I brush the chambers between stages, makes me feel more confident.

John E (I guess I'm a Gamer) Law

Gold Canyon if you look at my post again you see I said might be considered as gaming. I was attempting to clarify whether the method I was discussing was legal or could considered that way from one place to another. You seem to focus on what I consider gaming and do not address the rest of the issue of the post. I admitted I was not sure what the thoughts on this practice was. By the way, what is your personal stance on this issue? Is it legal, illegal or like crossing a barb wired fence and getting stuck 1/2 way across and getting a sharp barb in ya butt. Been there running from a mad bull once, wasn't fun

Clearly legal but with pitfalls as noted in other posrs. Better to have good chamber work and good hulls like AA or STS ones. Clearly smooth hulls work better than ribbed ons in a SXS. Every couple of stages I do swab out our doubles chambers with a paint ball swab. It is a short swab on a short stick. Easy to carry.

I use a '87 and no worries. Seriously though all good advice for double.

Blue(who loves his Lassiter '87)Wolf

What have you been drinking?

You shoot an 87 and have "no worries"?

Wow, I want some of it what ever it is.

GAMERS :rolleyes:

AND PROUD OF IT!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Gold Canyon Kid, I refer to anything as seeking to gain an advantage that might be on the gray side of the rules. Also just for the record I have shot other organizations before moving to SASS.

Gray, huh? I suppose I'm guilty as charged because I do A LOT of things to gain a leg up on the competition.

1. I practice.

2. I watch my pards and when I see a good idea that improves shooting, I copy it.

3. I talk to my pards about 'strategery' and shooting a stage more efficiently (read that faster) and sometimes my ideas help the competition more than me.

4. I load ammunition to a particular set of standards, all designed to improve reliability and accuracy. (Doesn't help but I do it anyway)

4. I smith my guns to maximize efficiency of operation (speed) and reliability.

5. I take care of my leather and in addition to slicking the shambers of my double with secret sauce, I use the same stuff on my holsters so my draw is silky smooth and speedy fast. (Doesn't help but I do it anyway.)

6. I wear special glasses that give me the optimum sight picture for my SASS guns. I still miss way too much so they don't really help but perhaps I'd be worse without'em so I wear'em anyway.

7. I use a pitchers bag on my hands to improve my grip on me pistols. I tried that glue stuff...once. Gave me a super grip on the revolvers...letting go was the problem.

8. I wear special boots. They ain't custom made or anything, just a pair of Justins with really good soles for optimum gripping speed on the run and comfort for a day of pain-free shooting. They probably don't help my shooting none either, but I wear'em anyway because...they make me feel gamey.

9. I slick the chambers of my doubles as required. I even engineer the loops on my shotgun belt to ensure speedy reloads and no dropped shells, carefully adjusting the en-ti-re belt to conform to my odd shaped body all in an effort to improve speed and gain a leg up...on someone.

10. I study the stages. Some club's I shoot at post the stages a day or two before the match. I practice them over and over, gaming out every tiny detail. When I go to 'big' matches and get my shooters pack, I do the same thing, often staying up late at night gaming the stages arriving bleary-eyed and punchy for the morning wave because I stayed up way too late practicing.

Competing is just as much fun as shooting and dressing up in funny cowboy clothes! (At least for me it is)

baddwolf7, you'll just have to overlook GCK. He likes to get under folks' skin sometimes. Now that I am chiming in he will leave you alone and concentrate on me, his favorite target.

All that Pledge, Armor All, Ballistol business is just folks doing their unnecessary between stages superstitious mumbo jumbo, just don't do it. It's unnecessary. So is swabbing out the chambers between stages. Just unnecessary. But it makes folks feel better and like they are doing something to improve their times. It's all just silly ju-ju. Anything slick on the surface of the plastic part of the shells not to mention your fingers and hands is counter-productive and courting disaster.

I see my pards Armor Alling their shells and swabbing out their bores and I do neither. My shells shuck just as good as anyone's. Waste of time. All you need to do is open a box of AAs or STSs and stick 'em in two by two.

All that amateur chamber polishin' is also not only also a waste of time but it has ruined many good guns.

+1

STL Suomi

4) Buy smooth walled shells. Ribbed shells tend to stick in the cylinders. Winchester Double As are a good example of the right kind of shell.

Does anyone else make a smooth walled shell? Winchesters are the only ones I have found.

I shoot black powder and I shoot old cases. I buy twice fired STS when I can find them. I wipe my loaded shells down with a rag coated with silicone. The only time I have had trouble was shooting in enough rain that my hands were wet. It made loading an iffy thing.

You better tell a whole lot of shooters that swabbing out their chambers is not necessary. How have folks ruined good guns by polishing their chambers?

With the OP being a new CAS shooter, and yet seriously worrying about the label "gamer," tells me he may have been hanging out in the wrong part of the big ole CAS tent.

Shoot the game according to the rules, use whatever legal advantages you decide to use, and don't worry about the snide remarks. Some of that "gamer" labeling is used to "get into your head." It's much less used in CAS shooting than the gun sports you may have been involved with before, but it's not really the Cowboy Way. If you are dragging that in from other sports, please, let it go. Shoot your game, be proud of it, smile at the face in the mirror each morning, and do your best.

Good luck, GJ

Gold Canyon if you look at my post again you see I said might be considered as gaming. I was attempting to clarify whether the method I was discussing was legal or could considered that way from one place to another. You seem to focus on what I consider gaming and do not address the rest of the issue of the post. I admitted I was not sure what the thoughts on this practice was. By the way, what is your personal stance on this issue? Is it legal, illegal or like crossing a barb wired fence and getting stuck 1/2 way across and getting a sharp barb in ya butt. Been there running from a mad bull once, wasn't fun

Something I think you're dealing with is a different perception of the word "gamer" than what you're probably used to.

In the SASS world you can jokingly call a friend a gamer and be okay. Again, JOKINGLY & FRIEND. But any other use of the word is an insult to whoever it's aimed at. For that reason, we try to keep things as black and white as possible. Is it legal or is illegal? That's it.

If you think someone is dancing in the grey area and you ask them about it, be prepared for a somewhat heated response along the lines of, "Show me in the rules where it says I can't do that! :angry: "

It's okay to question if something is legal or not, that's one of the great things about the SASS Wire. Just be aware of how you phrase the question. ;)

You better tell a whole lot of shooters that swabbing out their chambers is not necessary. How have folks ruined good guns by polishing their chambers?

Right ....'POLISHING' is the key word.....;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I'd hone my chambers slick, an use clean hulls.

If your hulls are slick, well the first thing you gotta do is grab em an putem in two holes at the same time. If there slick to tha touch I promise you it will bite you in tha butt afore long!

Nothing shucks shells like a clean dry honed/slick chamber.

More important ta never reload a stepped on hull. They hang tha most for me.

RRR

As always, Ray "gots it"

Clean, dry and serviceable, like we learnt in basic training. I use STS or AA shells and have practiced the "short rearward jab" horizontal barrels method of shucking enough so they rarely fail to fly right out, even after a long day of shooting.

Have you read the rules?

Where does it say that you can't do this?

Phantom

:FlagAm:

PS: It don't say nuthin about baby powder...but TEX has used it on his SG loops...that's a hint.

Baby powder is great for loops and for holsters.. and to put my two cents in.. I got a new Stoeger sxs for Christmas, had work done on it.. still had problems with chucking out shells.. Someone told me about the Armor-All trick at a match just the other day, and it worked. When practicing the other day,I had no Armor-all, so I sprayed a VERY SMALL amount of Rem oil on a rag and wiped the shells down.. and it worked just as well. Seeing as we usually have that in the ammo box.. it seemed a logical replacement.

Blue Hare

Baby powder is great for loops and for holsters.. and to put my two cents in.. I got a new Stoeger sxs for Christmas, had work done on it.. still had problems with chucking out shells.. Someone told me about the Armor-All trick at a match just the other day, and it worked. When practicing the other day,I had no Armor-all, so I sprayed a VERY SMALL amount of Rem oil on a rag and wiped the shells down.. and it worked just as well. Seeing as we usually have that in the ammo box.. it seemed a logical replacement.

Blue Hare

You're obviously mistaken. It's been decreed that, "All that Pledge, Armor All, Ballistol business is just folks doing their unnecessary between stages superstitious mumbo jumbo." :lol:

You're obviously mistaken. It's been decreed that, "All that Pledge, Armor All, Ballistol business is just folks doing their unnecessary between stages superstitious mumbo jumbo." :lol:

So the Sumo stomp and Chicken Bone dance before I start a stage is unnecessary too? Then how come I shoot better when I do it?!? :blink:

So the Sumo stomp and Chicken Bone dance before I start a stage is unnecessary too? Then how come I shoot better when I do it?!? :blink:

The Sumo stomp loosens the knockdown targets so they fall easier and when you do the Chicken Bone dance, those bones rattling together sound like bullets hitting the targets so the spotters don't count the misses. Therefore it's all just an illusion, you're not really shooting better.

i find that to be a rather broad statement, and who'da thought that something as simple as shotgun shells would get a "discussion".

I "polished" my chambers with a mop and semichrome polish. (as a mater of fact many years ago I polished the ramp on my Browning Hi-Power with it. in both instances it didn't hurt the chambers or ramp one bit, but left the area smoother and allows the hulls to slide out (and ANY type of round I want to feed my BHP) so, I would love for you to tell me just HOW I "ruined" my gunz.

and as for swabbing my bore before and during shooting: I personally like clean gunz. I was taught to keep my guns clean. they just seem to work better. So I don't see where my "ju-ju" of cleaning the bore before and during the match is doing any harm either. I don't ever plan to be a buckle champion, but never the less, I still like my guns clean.....and by gawd, they just seem to work better.

curley

Hang on Kid I'll get back to you in a minute.

Curley, don't take such umbrage, I never said YOU ruined anything. Stand by. Philly I didn't "decree" anything since I am not nor will ever be the Emperor of CAS. Merely stating my humble opinion as is my right same as you.

Okay Kid, IMHO I will tell all smokeless shooters that all that between stage in and outing with the short swab is just mental massage and is totally unnecessary (can't have an opinion for black powder shooters as I've never tried it). I tried it (short swabbing between stages) for several matches and it didn't help any. I could tell no difference. My shells shuck just fine without that ju ju so why bother? I would much rather spend my time doing something useful. Like shagging brass and spotting.

As long as you have been here and ye never heered of anyone "egging" chambers with a brake hone? Brake hones are for auto mechanic-ing and should be kept away from sg chambers. Chambers should be clean and dry (altho the "clean" part is infrequent and optional for me). Any oil or other liquid in the chamber of a sg is anathema to shucking.

In fact, knowledgeable shotgunners (not CASers) will tell you a slightly rough textured chamber is optimum for shucking. A too-polished, shiny, too smooth chamber will tend to "grab" the shell just a bit.

But you can't tell cowboy shooters anything they don't want to hear and have a pre-conceived prejudice against, they will stick with their passed on common wisdom and ju ju rituals. Go ahead on. Power to ya. Polish and swab to your heart's content. Just don't be denigrating me for eschewing such practices. I am not gonna be wasting my time.

Curley, don't take such umbrage, I never said YOU ruined anything. Stand by. Philly I didn't "decree" anything since I am not nor will ever be the Emperor of CAS. Merely stating my humble opinion as is my right same as you.

Okay Kid, IMHO I will tell all smokeless shooters that all that between stage in and outing with the short swab is just mental massage and is totally unnecessary (can't have an opinion for black powder shooters as I've never tried it). I tried it (short swabbing between stages) for several matches and it didn't help any. I could tell no difference. My shells shuck just fine without that ju ju so why bother? I would much rather spend my time doing something useful. Like shagging brass and spotting.

As long as you have been here and ye never heered of anyone "egging" chambers with a brake hone? Brake hones are for auto mechanic-ing and should be kept away from sg chambers. Chambers should be clean and dry (altho the "clean" part is infrequent and optional for me). Any oil or other liquid in the chamber of a sg is anathema to shucking.

In fact, knowledgeable shotgunners (not CASers) will tell you a slightly rough textured chamber is optimum for shucking. A too-polished, shiny, too smooth chamber will tend to "grab" the shell just a bit.

But you can't tell cowboy shooters anything they don't want to hear and have a pre-conceived prejudice against, they will stick with their passed on common wisdom and ju ju rituals. Go ahead on. Power to ya. Polish and swab to your heart's content. Just don't be denigrating me for eschewing such practices. I am not gonna be wasting my time.

You're absolutely 100% correct, EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion. Now you just stated that in your opinion and in the opinion of "knowledgeable" shotgunners slightly rough chambers are optimun for shucking spent shells. Since I'm a not your run of the mill cowboy shooter and you CAN tell me things, please tell me how this works. I'm dying to learn how something as smooth as glass will grab a shell while something like sand paper will let it slip out as pretty as you please.

Lets hope new shooters know enough to ignore your advice.

Maybe not, but you said my juju was a waste of time, that could be better spent..and that swabbing the chambers don't work..Well it does just have to take my word, and Well ifn you ever shot with me you would know that I spend very little time doin my ju-ju, I do all the chores that are needed to be done. I work loading tables, unloading tables, count, I run the timer (after all I am an RO11) I don't shag brass do to a severe back injury, But just as you are entitled to your opinion on what works and don't, so are we.

What I have stated I have done works for me. It has worked for others that have tried it.

So, you do what you are gonna do and let us do what we are gonna do. I will agree with you that I don't think using a brake hone is a good idea, but I am not gonna tell others not to do it cuz I didn't try it. I only speak of what I do know. And you should let others do the same.

nuff said

curley

Dang you boys sure are defensive of your ju ju routines aintcha? Please don't string me up I'm just makin' conversation here. I never said to stop, in fact if you will look and read and comprehend you will see that I DID say to go right ahead on. Everyone is perfectly free to do any and all rituals they like, including Tebow-ing and meditating at their cart.

It's just a waste of time and effort MOST of the time in MY humble opinion. Curley I never accused you of being a Palaverer (those folks who think their only posse duty is to shoot and then spend the rest of their time gum bumpin' by the carts). I know and I am sure that you are an asset to any posse because I know that you are a good pard even having never met you in person. Someday I hope to shoot with you and Ole Top sometime somewhere on down the trail.

Now that's another issue. You say you don't shag brass because of a bad back. I can respect that. I was born with a severe birth defect in my spine. Also had a major heart attack and pack a pacemaker. Two bad knees, two torn rotator cuffs, diabetes and severe crippling arthritis. Yet at every non-lost brass match I shag brass because I have the right tool. An extra long cadillac grabby thingy. Anyone can be a brass shagger with that thing. Now I am not the fastest at it and if I ain't fast enuff good enuff leave the rest and next shooter. The best brass shaggers I have seen are World Champions who get down on their hands and knees and scoop it up quick with both hands. My hat is off to them. If I tried that somebody might have to help me back up so it ain't happenin'. Fine with me if we leave all the fool brass lay til after the shootin's over.

See baddwolf, I told you I could take the heat right of'n ya pard! :P:lol:

Now since I've been reading all of this advise and opinion on what method of shell shucking is faster or if this or that "Ju-Ju" is necessary or not, it gets me to thinking...... :wacko:

This is a game of speed, correct? :unsure:

And, the shotgun is THE gun in which you can usually make up or lose the most time with, Correct? :unsure:

Then why don't the boasters (Oops, I meant posters) of all this opinion let the OP know what is their average shot time for 4 knockdowns!

I ask this because if I was the new shooter and I wanted to be the next who's who fast guy then I would want the advise of the fast guys! From what I've read in this post and my limited knowledge of what all of the posters abilities are Red River Ray is the only really known fast guy DB shotgun shooter that I know of who's posted. I'm not saying they're not others, but I am curious as to who they are.

You can boast (Oops, I did it again) post all the opinion you want but I think the method of how you use your equiptment, the set up of your gear, and weather your Ju-Ju is necessary or not may be different for the sub 4 second SG crowd to the 12+ second one.

I'm sorry if I ruffle any feathers (I'm not meaning to althought I know it will), but this is just my thoughts on this.

JEL

BTW swabbing out the barrels of your DB between stages takes me all of about a nano second. I do it at the unloading table and believe it or not it doesn't keep me from working almost every other minute of the match that I'm not at the loading/unloading tables or shooting!

Then why don't the boasters (Oops, I meant posters) of all this opinion let the OP know what is their average shot time for 4 knockdowns!

I don't remember doing a 4 KD side match so I can't give you my time for that. At this year's Winter Range the speed shotgun side match had 6 KDs. Engage first targets from Window 1, move to Window 2 and engage the rest. My best time was 9.something.

Also, one of the clubs I belong to recently had their annual match. Here's the score sheet for the side matches:

Dam Site Side Matches

Six KDs in 9.53

Finally, if you want to see my technique, this is a video of me at the Top Gun shoot off at last year's Western Regional:

I don't remember doing a 4 KD side match so I can't give you my time for that. At this year's Winter Range the speed shotgun side match had 6 KDs. Engage first targets from Window 1, move to Window 2 and engage the rest. My best time was 9.something.

Also, one of the clubs I belong to recently had their annual match. Here's the score sheet for the side matches:

Dam Site Side Matches

Six KDs in 9.53

Finally, if you want to see my technique, this is a video of me at the Top Gun shoot off at last year's Western Regional:

Woo Hoo Philly! Nice pard!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived