SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range is Coming Soon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does WR publish a posse list so we can see whom we are shooting with and the rotation?

They have in the past, but it comes out about 10 days before the match. I guess so as to mimimize changes.

Ghost

The Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders works all year to make sure Winter Range is fun for the shooters and that everything is in good repair so there are no delays in the match because of equipment failures. WR also tries to replace a certain number of targets each year so that the plates are flat and in good condition. Over the past three or four years virtually all of the 16" rifle and pistol plates have been replaced with 18" or 20" targets. WR also tries to rotate props so that returning shooters see something new every year. This year there are at least two totally new facades. The first photo shows the unfinished new Livery Stable and the second a typical work day for the Rough Riders. On the right in the second photo is the beginning of another new facade. Looking forward to seeing all of you in a couple of weeks!!!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040538.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040546.jpg

its too bad that work day was rescheduled for the weekend of the Yuma Prison Breakout. not that i was coming to phx but i was hoping to see some of you in yuma :D

cc

A few updates. There have been a few cancellations so there are about ten slots open (for a nice round 800 shooters) if anyone has changed their mind and wants to come to sunny Arizona for a terrific shoot and general fun time. Also, if you came last year the roads in the range were all torn up and were a mess. They have been repaved and the traffic flow has been changed. Now, instead of entering on Longshot Ave. you will continue west on Carefree Highway until you get to the first (only) stoplight (about two miles from the Ben Avery main entrance, Ben Avery is big) and turn onto Archery Lane. It is right in front of the Arizona Game and Fish Department's new headquarters. All shooters (including the mounted shooters) and vendors will enter through that entrance and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office will direct everyone to the appropriate parking areas. Hopefully, this will help get everyone in and out more quickly. The Rough Riders have been out finishing props and testing equipment non-stop for the past few weeks. Next week will start the main set-up effort. Following is a shot of another new (unfinished) stage front that will look like three stores when done. Next is, well you figure it out! It will be part of a main cowboy match scenario. Finally, the big tent is up. The rest of this week vendor row will go up and the props and targets will start being moved onto the range next Wednesday, February 15, and by Sunday, February 19, Winter Range will be ready to greet returning shooters and new friends.

http://i228.photobuc...r1/IMG_0212.jpg

http://i228.photobuc...r1/IMG_0216.jpg

http://i228.photobuc...r1/IMG_0220.jpg

Larsen.....things are looking good......... :FlagAm:

Oh...by the way........ :rolleyes: so..which catagory did you sign up for this year........??? ;)

Regards........Wolf

FCD

WE starting packing tomorrow (Saturday) and 12 of us get on the big silver bird on Wedsnesday.

Yeeehhaaaww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub::):wub:

Jackaroo...........look me up when you get there..........

I'll be at Cowtown from Fri the 17th through the 21st.....back and forth to WR those days too......

Nellie has your ammo - need to talk to you about ammo in the future.......... :FlagAm:

Ya'll have a great trip...........regards.......Wolf

I'm getting real excited about WR because I missed last years program.... I think this is the most well run match in the World. Great bunch of volunteers and WOW look at the props. Larson whats happening Friday night????? My brother Copperhead Joe will be bringing the lemonade...

**WHEW** I'm sure glad you put the FC if front of that D. :lol:

Well you may be glad that the FC is in front of that D, but I'm glad that the D is behind the FC! ;)

Snakebite

I'm getting real excited about WR because I missed last years program.... I think this is the most well run match in the World. Great bunch of volunteers and WOW look at the props. Larson whats happening Friday night????? My brother Copperhead Joe will be bringing the lemonade...

I believe I have some lemonade additive. If I remember right, you should be parked real close to where I will be so we won't have to walk to far.

Well you may be glad that the FC is in front of that D, but I'm glad that the D is behind the FC! ;)

Snakebite

Well, I'd rather see no D or no FC :lol:

That main tent looks real lonely in the picture....needs some neighbors.

Duelist is coolest, as they say!

SO far I'm tied for first!

We are packing up and heading out on Valentine's Day. my sweetie is coming with me to make sure I make the journey safe, then she is flying out of there to tend to something she prefers to do, leaving me on my own to get into mischief. The good news is that i am staying out at the range within walking distance (although it is overflow to the main campground so it is a looong walk from the range) so in the event that I happen to have some of the lemonade with additive or other adult beverages I can maneuver home.

Looking forward to a great Winter Range. I always love shooting out here, but I don't seem to do that well--this year will be different. No question,whatever the outcome, it will be fun. Looking forward to seeing all my pards.

A week before I leave and I'm done loading ammo/cleaning guns and packing. Feels very weird. Now if I could do something abou that 30 hour drive each way I'd be all set. Looking forward to this match as always.

Howdy - can anyone fill me in on when/where we should be wearing our red shirts on Friday? Thanks pards

Most people wear them all day on Friday, including when they are shooting.

I'm flying out on the red-eye on the 15th. Gonna hang out for a few days and shoot Fire and Ice next weekend. Winter Range is always an awesome match. Of course, getting out of Alaska in February makes it even more appealing! Lookin' forward to seeing ya all!

Four Bucks

Had an enjoyable day yesterday with the set-up crew. The Arizona Rangers work hard days getting this event up and ready but every moment is filled with great camaraderie and a real "we want this to always be special" attitude.

Thanks to Black Jack, Pigpen, Nine Toe Joe and all the others for making a new guy feel like one of the bunch as we hauled trailer load after trailer load of steel and props. I'm headed back for more.

Hard work but great atmosphere to do it in.

Hardin "Morning"Wood

Guest Cactus Cris SASS#2790

Heading out this AM to set up my fence and shoot some clay's. Then bring out the carts on Sat. Looking forward to this one! :lol:

I can't recall them publishing one in the last six years that I've been there. Could be wrong.

Yep... I know yer right, but thought that I would give it a try.... "Nervous Excitement" I guess! :rolleyes: After all these years I still get it. :o

Snakebite

I'm excited to meet a lot of the folks from the wire, and of course fulfill my contractual obligation as a cotton pickin nephew to be a PITA/brew fetcher, for my dear ol Uncle Malpais Mike.

Gonna be a good week!

If ya need any practice before the real deal you can set me up with a six pack or two :lol:

See ya there!!!

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived