SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range is Coming Soon

The match was sold out over a month ago and Winter Range had a waiting list of over 80 shooters. After a lot of discussion, the WR Board has decided to raise the maximum number of shooters to 800. Most of the people on the waiting list have been called. The match is still full and there is still a waiting list, but that list is now smaller and there are a lot of happy cowboys and cowgirls that will be able to shoot the match. Friday is Red Shirt Friday. On Thursday afternoon there is a swap meet in the main tent, so if you have some used gear you want to sell or you are looking for guns and gear to buy make sure to visit the swap meet. Thursday night is the black powder night shoot and there should be no shortage of flames from the guns, but from the props as well! It looks like there will also be a record number of vendors (right at 100) to meet your shopping needs. The Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders is looking forward to meeting old friends and greeting new ones. See you soon!!!

Registration will be open for check-in and the pick-up of shooter packets starting at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, February 19th.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Larsen it doesn't get any better than WR.

Thanks to the "Company of Rough Riders"

Their labors are the stuff of legend.......

Semper Fi

Congrats! Wish I was going to be there, maybe next year.

Are there any chapel fund-raising efforts underway? With a shooter and vendor base like that the possibilities are endless!

Grizz

Dave there is generally a local charity that WR supports, most recently the wounded warrior project. They do a outstanding job off giving back and I'm sure this year will be no exception .

Dave there is generally a local charity that WR supports, most recently the wounded warrior project. They do a outstanding job off giving back and I'm sure this year will be no exception .

That sounds great too!

For the record, I wasn't trying to usurp anything they had going, just give them an opportunity to publicize it a bit.

Congrats! Wish I was going to be there, maybe next year.

Are there any chapel fund-raising efforts underway? With a shooter and vendor base like that the possibilities are endless!

Grizz

I would assume efforts at Founder Ranch would cover that. Winter Range does a great job handling building of props and prop buildings without fund raising.

Raised the number and there is still a waiting list?

It must be the cheap entry fees.... oh wait... they're $200 plus Wild Bunch, plus side matches, plus... hmmmm.

OK.. it must be the central location.... oh wait ... Phoenix is sorta long way from Florida.

OK... it must be the vendors... oh wait.. if there weren't 800 shooters then....

OK... it must be the weather!.... OH ... YEAH... don't forget to pack long johns, rain gear and boots you don't mind scraping 3" of mud off.

OK... it must be.... ONE HELL OF A SHOOT! :o

This year I'll be in Harrisburg PA and driving back through CO to pickup guns before Phoenix... that's a lot of miles and I'll be towing the show trailer, too.

I can't freakin' wait! arrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhh

It must be the cheap entry fees.... oh wait... they're $200 plus Wild Bunch, plus side matches, plus... hmmmm.

OK.. it must be the central location.... oh wait ... Phoenix is sorta long way from Florida.

OK... it must be the vendors... oh wait.. if there weren't 800 shooters then....

OK... it must be the weather!.... OH ... YEAH... don't forget to pack long johns, rain gear and boots you don't mind scraping 3" of mud off.

This year I'll be in Harrisburg PA and driving back through CO to pickup guns before Phoenix... that's a lot of miles and I'll be towing the show trailer, too.

Harrisburg? Are you doing the Sports Show Brother King?

Harrisburg? Are you doing the Sports Show Brother King?

This will be our 25th Anniversary year.

Almost forgot and have amended the original post. Registration will be open starting at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, February 19th for check-in and picking up the shooter packets.

Brother King..is Mayor Reed still around.....????

I lived 22 yeas in York................lots of trips to Harrisburg....................worked Strawberry Square opened up the Radio Shack there.......fished the river all the way down to Long Bottom........lots of memories.......

West Shore Posse was a breat bunch.........

See ya at WR...............regards..Wolf

I don't believe that I've ever had the honor of an introduction to the yankee known as the "Hon. Mayor Reed." My goal is to do some 'reverse carpetbaggin' of yankee greenbacks. :ph34r: Then pack it up in the dead of night and high tail it back to WINTER RANGE!!!!!!!! B)

YEEEEEE HAAAAAAWWWW!

Already started packing the little truck and motor home. Even emtied a basement bay in motorhome for T-Bone and Nuttin's guns/ammo. Plan to leave out the Friday 17th making Pioneer RV park by Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. Look forward to my 13th WR in a row. It just keeps getting better.

WB, be good to see you and IJ, hope we are on same posse again. We sure had fun last year.

B Dave, you drive safe out of PA. I just think my trip is long, but now you got the long haul.

Hey Mose, you going?

bb

Indiana Jackson are signed up and ready to go! This year, she promises not to lock the car keys in the car trunk. Maybe we can do a Saturday evening beer fest...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Where? We'll bring beer

I don't believe that I've ever had the honor of an introduction to the yankee known as the "Hon. Mayor Reed." My goal is to do some 'reverse carpetbaggin' of yankee greenbacks. :ph34r: Then pack it up in the dead of night and high tail it back to WINTER RANGE!!!!!!!! B)

YEEEEEE HAAAAAAWWWW!

Brother King:

I was packing up some stuff tonight for a little monthly at the Gren Mountain Regulators and saw your little "present" dropped in the porta-potty at the Tejas Caballeros range at Flat Creek Ranch near Dripping Springs Texas. I have squirreled that little item (double bagged with some of the ammo still in it) away in my jeep and will drag it 1000 miles to Winter Range to present it to you--maybe at the Classic Cowboy dinner if I don't see you sooner.

Planning to bring out the big RV--got lucky and got a spot at the range (in the overflow lot next to the main camping area) so I will be within a long walking distance of the place. I loved the way you summed up all the reasons/excuses for the massive attendance at this big shoot. This will be my 4th WR and I am really looking forward to it. I have got my rain gear, mudders, umbrella, snow shoes and sun tan lotion ready for all contingencies. Looking forward to seeing you there.

You're so right!!! It's cuz they put on the best match in the country!!! :wub::wub::wub:

Hey BK....how many miles you gonna be doing from PA and how long is that gonna take you pard??

Hey BK....how many miles you gonna be doing from PA and how long is that gonna take you pard??

Jackaroo! HA! The show ends Sunday at 5pm 12 Feb. Cowtown Wild Bunch starts Friday AM 17 Feb. According to Google maps it's 2417 miles/ 1 day 17 hours.

Dang... I may need a co-pilot for this one. Couldn't stand the thought of worrying about my guns for 2 weeks so I left them secured in CO. At least picking them up is "on the way". :lol:

Brother King:

I was packing up some stuff tonight for a little monthly at the Gren Mountain Regulators and saw your little "present" dropped in the porta-potty at the Tejas Caballeros range at Flat Creek Ranch near Dripping Springs Texas. I have squirreled that little item (double bagged with some of the ammo still in it) away in my jeep and will drag it 1000 miles to Winter Range to present it to you--maybe at the Classic Cowboy dinner if I don't see you sooner.

Planning to bring out the big RV--got lucky and got a spot at the range (in the overflow lot next to the main camping area) so I will be within a long walking distance of the place. I loved the way you summed up all the reasons/excuses for the massive attendance at this big shoot. This will be my 4th WR and I am really looking forward to it. I have got my rain gear, mudders, umbrella, snow shoes and sun tan lotion ready for all contingencies. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Thanks, DHD... as you remember the Jan Francisco's story on how that loading strip got "plooped" into the porta-john is priceless. Your dedication to its rightful return is only exceeded by Capt Call's odyssey. ;)

Wow BK that's a mighty long drive. In our language that's 3867 kilometres????

So in exactly 14 days we'll be packing our stuff into the Airbus A380 and we'll be in PHX from Sydney in .........17 hours, so you're a whole day still coming pard??? :lol::lol::unsure:

We'll be in Tombstone on the 17th, but will see ya at the CC dinner..

And by the way....just drive safely mate. :wub:

Cheers

Jack.

Jackaroo! HA! The show ends Sunday at 5pm 12 Feb. Cowtown Wild Bunch starts Friday AM 17 Feb. According to Google maps it's 2417 miles/ 1 day 17 hours.

Dang... I may need a co-pilot for this one. Couldn't stand the thought of worrying about my guns for 2 weeks so I left them secured in CO. At least picking them up is "on the way". :lol:

Thanks, DHD... as you remember the Jan Francisco's story on how that loading strip got "plooped" into the porta-john is priceless. Your dedication to its rightful return is only exceeded by Capt Call's odyssey. ;)

:lol:

DHD, I really like your idea of a formal presentation of the afore mentioned item and the relaied story be-hind...it.

:lol:

BK, you do have to admire DHD's dedication to return property to it's rightful owner, reguardless of it's condition or where it's being. :lol:

That's what I call CLASSIC!

:lol: Ghost :lol:

The Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders works all year to make sure Winter Range is fun for the shooters and that everything is in good repair so there are no delays in the match because of equipment failures. WR also tries to replace a certain number of targets each year so that the plates are flat and in good condition. Over the past three or four years virtually all of the 16" rifle and pistol plates have been replaced with 18" or 20" targets. WR also tries to rotate props so that returning shooters see something new every year. This year there are at least two totally new facades. The first photo shows the unfinished new Livery Stable and the second a typical work day for the Rough Riders. On the right in the second photo is the beginning of another new facade. Looking forward to seeing all of you in a couple of weeks!!!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040538.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040546.jpg

Archived