SASS Wire Forum

Mare's Leg: Will it ever be SASS legal?

Ben Bitten

...I'm not talking about as a main match gun, but as a possible option for a side match firearm. ...Something inspired by "Wanted Dead or Alive" perhaps. Or a "From the Hip" match... Although I'm not sure "from the hip" would be SASS legal. ...Just brainstorming here.

I don't have a Mare's Leg, so I don't have any stock in this one way or the other - I'm just curious.

Anything is possible for a side match... as long as it's safe.

If the Mare's Leg is a requirement for the event you'll have a tough time getting participants. I've only seen or heard of one person that actually owned one.

I've only seen or heard of one person that actually owned one.

You can increase that number to TWO. I enjoy shooting mine for fun, and its more accuratte then some think. Even BlueJeans enjoys it. Its now our fun gun. I also found that its not as finicky on ammo, size, or bullet shape. MT

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z72/marshaltroop/SDC11970.jpg

Beyond the fun factor, which is certainly imprtant, the Mares Laig is about as useful as tits on a bull as far as firearms are concerned.

In no way would it fit into any SASS category, main match or side match.

Have a ball with your Mares laig, they are a ton of fun, but don't expect to see a useful spot in SASS to compete with it

Lord I hope it never become main match legal. Having said that, I bet some clubs will have side matches for them just for fun. Personally, I think pretty useless, but hey, to each his own.

...I'm not talking about as a main match gun, but as a possible option for a side match firearm. ...Something inspired by "Wanted Dead or Alive" perhaps. Or a "From the Hip" match... Although I'm not sure "from the hip" would be SASS legal. ...Just brainstorming here.

I don't have a Mare's Leg, so I don't have any stock in this one way or the other - I'm just curious.

A club might have a special side match, but who wants a bastard gun like that?

With all due respect to those who own them and at the risk of hijacking the thread, I too wonder what the point of this gun is? I was very disappointed at the story the American Rifleman did on it as at no time did the author suggest that this was a solution to a nonexistent problem (Sixgun, can't expect em to make the tits on a bull analogy in the magazine).

If you own one, please explain to me the value of such a critter.

Its fun to shoot with my wife, who also has fun shooting it. Its very accurate out to 50 yds. "FUN", different, unique, accurate, the wife enjoys, adds to shooting fun a day at the range, "FUN". What more can one say? When a dozen people come up to the range and ask for a chance to try it, and also say its "FUN". Not asking, nor hinting that it be accepted into SASS, just as I wouldn't ask for other firearms we have. It's a personal thing.

Doesn't anyone have "FUN" toys? MT

I eventually would like to get one myself simpley for the fun of it. It just harkens back to the days of watching WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE and THE RIFLEMAN. It's not the most practical firearm, but does it need to be practical to have fun factor? No. At least not in my book.

Isn't there a class or side match in CAS the requires shooting from the hip with a six gun? I'm drawing a blank on where I saw a write-up on it. It was called Outlaw, or something.

Anyway, practical or not I think a Mare's Leg could offer an entertaining aspect to a creative side match.

Fun is what it is. I have one of the Rossi/Taurus .44 mares legs...used it for "killing" zombies, including Brother King and Calico Cowgirl up from the grave. It's a hoot to shoot! Heck, I once had Hamilton Bowen build me an S&W N-Frame in 38-40, solely because I like the old cartridge. Still one of my favorite guns. If I had the bucks I'd buy a 4-bore rifle tomorrow just to shoot the stupid thing (and I'd be ready in case I woke up one morning and found myself in a Steven King novel being attacked by an animated, pissed-off garbage truck).

Of course, maybe that's just me...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Well, fun seems to be the reason for owning one of these. Fair enough and enjoy your toys. Guess it just didn't meet my personal definition of fun but that's why we got coffee and tea. Thanks for the answers.

I was very disappointed at the story the American Rifleman did on it as at no time did the author suggest that this was a solution to a nonexistent problem (Sixgun, can't expect em to make the tits on a bull analogy in the magazine).

It's called 'ADVERTISING DOLLARS'

The American Rifleman is not going to suggest that the Mares leg is pretty much good for nothing, hunting, or competition, (and in my estimation, also not the safest firearm in the gun rack!).....the companies that make and market them advertise in the Rifleman, so nothing but glowing reports in the Am Rifleman.

Well, if they do make a category for the mare leg or

have side matches that would be great. I myself don't

see any practicality with the mares leg except it puts

lead down range. :blush:

Happy trails

QDG

I have seen one shot in a match, used in place of a pistol. Duelist. Can't remember where though, maybe Stump Water can help me out.

How can you shoot one "duelist". seems likeyou would need both hands on it to cycle the action.

My club has a "Just For Fun" category where it could probably be used, but why? I've got "real" guns I'd rather shoot.

How can you shoot one "duelist". seems likeyou would need both hands on it to cycle the action.

Good point... If memory (kinda sketchy at the moment) serves, he shot the pistol one handed. Either that, or he was lumped in with the one-handed guys to keep his times from being too embarassing.

Course he coulda shot traditional. I wasn't paying that much attention to the score sheet.

:wub:

One advantage about it over a revolver is that when you are done firing the six at the bad guy you can easily reload 'em one at a time and fire away.....but that's all I can think of....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You can increase that number to TWO
. I enjoy shooting mine for fun, and its more accuratte then some think. Even BlueJeans enjoys it. Its now our fun gun. I also found that its not as finicky on ammo, size, or bullet shape. MT

http://i191.photobuc...op/SDC11970.jpg

Dont care if its legal for SASS er not-

Well in my world B-Western class would allow any firearms that were used in the movies and TV series as long it could e done it a safe manner.

Imagine Wyatt Earp's buntline going head to with Josh Randall's mares leg and Johnny Ringo's Lemat! :o

It is a cheap toy when having a mid-life crisis. It is cheaper than a fancy sports car that is too hard to get in and out of and definitely cheaper than a divorce and remarriage to a sexy blonde, (Although the fun factor might be.....well, never mind). :blush:

With all due respect to those who own them and at the risk of hijacking the thread, I too wonder what the point of this gun is? I was very disappointed at the story the American Rifleman did on it as at no time did the author suggest that this was a solution to a nonexistent problem (Sixgun, can't expect em to make the tits on a bull analogy in the magazine).

I like it

Fun to shoot

Major kool factor

I like it

I had nuff money to buy it

I like it-------------------------------

Sides, how many guns "we" have that have no real "practical" use?

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Mare's Leg: Will it ever be SASS legal?

Hope not...

If they do... next they legalize could be a ham hock.

ts

All ya have to do is have the gun supported by one hand when you're pulling the trigger...yer shooting duelist.

Hope not...

If they do... next they legalize could be a ham hock.

ts

Well, I have seen a few fellers who shoot with pig's knuckles. :rolleyes:;)

It is a cheap toy when having a mid-life crisis. It is cheaper than a fancy sports car that is too hard to get in and out of and definitely cheaper than a divorce and remarriage to a sexy blonde, (Although the fun factor might be.....well, never mind). :blush:

Years ago I bought a 1960 Corvette to restore. Restoration to original paint, accessories,etc. to original floor room. After it was done, we only drove it were we could keep an eye on it, except for car shows. It was a lot more worry, (since a lot of money was put into it, and its value was sky high on the market). It really wasn't much fun, except for the trophies.

Now for pennies, a Mares Leg is priceless in the fun, we both have in shooting it. Watching Blue Jeans bang away at steel plates is priceless. It does reminisce of those days of TV westerns and the opening of Wanted Dead or Alive, also watching folks come up and ask for a chance to shoot it, priceless.

Is it practical? Could be, carried on my pick-up, or tractor, small and handy. But then again I have some toys that are also not practical, 1928 Thompson, MP-40, and a M2. Fun, but not practical. My neighbor has a .50 cal, shells cost 2.00 to 5.00 with each shot. But to him its fun, not practical, he'll probable never have to take a vehicle down with it, or stop a diving plane, strafing the range. But he enjoys it. These are the real toys, the non-practical, but fun to shoot firearms. MT

Who cares whether the thing's practical or not? If we were going for practical and nothing else, I probably wouldn't own any cowboy guns at all. I'd probably have a nondescript black pistol, and a very basic rifle and shotgun that would sit in the closet for long periods of time. I'd own one or two knives instead of a drawer full. But variety is the spice of life. The Mare's Leg is fun and novel, and for me and a lot of other people, that more than justifies it's existence. Would that more gun makers would come out with fun and novel stuff like the Mare's Leg!

And as far as not being suitable for a side match, I don't buy it. Local shoots can and do set up all sorts of side matches and this gun would be a riot for that, especially if a pard had one he was willing to share. (Which was the case with the pocket pistol/derringer side match I participated in a few months ago. 2 or 3 pards had the appropriate guns but a dozen shot them, several vowing to buy their own after...)

Archived