SASS Wire Forum

Baseball fans

Rye Miles #13621

I posted awhile back when the Indians were hot and in first place fer quite awhile. Well, they tanked and are now fighting the White Sox for 2nd place and maybe a winning record. Wait till next year!:P

I'm still watchin baseball, the playoffs are coming and I always watch them and the World Series. C'mon fans let's have a baseball discussion. Who do ya think will make it to the playoffs??

The Yankees, Tigers, fer sure. Philly is in. Texas Rangers will probably hang in there. Milwaukee and Arizona are probably going in too. That's my take. Rye B)

I posted awhile back when the Indians were hot and in first place fer quite awhile. Well, they tanked and are now fighting the White Sox for 2nd place and maybe a winning record. Wait till next year!:P

I'm still watchin baseball, the playoffs are coming and I always watch them and the World Series. C'mon fans let's have a baseball discussion. Who do ya think will make it to the playoffs??

The Yankees, Tigers, fer sure. Philly is in. Texas Rangers will probably hang in there. Milwaukee and Arizona are probably going in too. That's my take. Rye B)

My Cardinals still have a faint chance. It ain't over till it's over. Yes, Philly, and the Brewers. Hope the Red Sox's make it for my grandson's sake. The "Fall Classic" it's a winner no matter who plays.

I've still got my money on Atlanta to make the playoffs via the wild card route. I'm sitting here watching the game against the Marlins (Marlins leading 2-1 in the top of the sixth) and the Braves' magic number is seven. They are three and a half games ahead of St. Louis and I think they'll make the wild card slot with room to spare. After that, we'll see.

I've still got my money on Atlanta to make the playoffs via the wild card route. I'm sitting here watching the game against the Marlins (Marlins leading 2-1 in the top of the sixth) and the Braves' magic number is seven. They are three and a half games ahead of St. Louis and I think they'll make the wild card slot with room to spare. After that, we'll see.

Howdy Bama, Remember when the Braves were "America's team"? The first team to go national on cable. My dad loved watching the Braves, they had some awesome teams back in the late 80's and early 90's. I hope they get in the playoffs too. Rye

Back 40, the Red Sox are 4 1/2 back of the Yanks, they could do it. The Cards got a little more work but it's not impossible. I love this time of year as the playoffs take shape.;)

The Red Sox need to get their "funk" off or they're going to let the Rays catch 'em. Further, it's not a very good thing to go into the playoffs on the "losing" streak they've been on for the last week or so.

I'm not a Red Sox fan, per se, but I'm an anti-Yankee. It takes guts to say it these days, but I'm an Oriole fan. I had the old shirt (as a kid) that said, "My favorite two teams are the Baltimore Orioles and whoever's playin' the New York Yankess." :) That's still true for me today.

So, assuming the Rangers don't get stupid in the next couple of weeks, then I'll be a die-hard Rangers fan (they'll play the Yankees in the first round of the playoffs). If the Rangers fall, I'll be a die-hard Red Sox/Rays or Tigers fan. Failing that, I guess I'll be a NL fan. :P

The Phillies are always going to be tough with the starting pitching they have, but I've liked what I've seen out of the Brewers. It doesn't seem to matter who's pitching against them, they can score runs. That's a "handy" thing to have. :D

While I'm watching the Braves/Cards run for the wild card slot, I think the Braves will settle in and win it. But that's what makes watching baseball this time of year so fun. It's not like the first 150 games didn't matter, but when you get down to the wire, every game counts when you're only up by 2 or 3 games.

Bring on the playoffs!

Chick

The Tampa Bay Rays are two out behind the Red Sox for the wild card in the A.L. East. The Rays have to basically win the rest of their games against the Orioles, Yankees, and Toronto. I hope the Red Sox and Yankees both take a nose dive. Even then the Rays still have to win because the Angels are right there. I don't know too much about the N.L. as we don't play them very often.

GO RAYS

I just know that my Rockies have tanked.

My fantasy team has tanked.

Let's all get tanked!

Bottles, drinks are on Deja's tab!

This man is a GENIUS!!!!! A flat-out genius!!!!!

Grizzly Dave for President :FlagAm: .......whar' them drinks at???? :wacko::blink::wacko::blink::ph34r:

EC (Grizzly is my Yoda)

I have not watched a complete baseball game since my son quit Little League 33 years ago.

GO RANGERS! Our "magic number" is 5, any combination of Ranger wins and Angel losses, we win the division. There are 6 games to go (you might say 12, six for each team) before we play the Angels there for the last three games of the season. Hopefully we'll have it sowed up by then and the games won't really matter, we can mail in the last games and give our guys a rest before the playoffs. Bring on the Yankees (I think :blink: )

JHC

I'm watching the Braves & Marlins right now!

Atlanta 4-0, middle of the seventh. Unfortunately, they just left the bases loaded after having them loaded with no outs!!! :angry:<_<:angry:

If the Cubs ain't playin' it ain't baseball. I Was a Braves fan until they moved from Milwaukee and Hanoi Jane got involved with them. If the Brewers get in I'll be pulling for them.

Bugs

I have NOTHING to say until the Red Sox are definately in the play-offs.

Speaking before then is a jinx, and right now, they need all the help they can get.

About a month ago, we were 4 up on NY and 11 games ahead of Tampa Bay....

Oops - I wasn't supposed to say anything.....

LL

Since Detroit is a scant 3 hour drive from here and they are in the Indians division. I'll hafta root for the Tigers. Tough team, great history behind that team also. Remember Al Kaline?

The Tribe looks like they just may hold on the second place ahead of the black sox....uh...er....the White Sox!:P Rye

Let's just say you really have to love baseball to be a Kansas City Royals fan.

Lookin' forward to seeing "Moneyball" on the big screen. The book was fun.

Let's just say you really have to love baseball to be a Kansas City Royals fan.

Lookin' forward to seeing "Moneyball" on the big screen. The book was fun.

Gave up on them (and the Chiefs) years ago. Never understood why the fans are so loyal when the owners have been delivering a poor to mediocre product for so many years. Kinda like repeatedly going to an expensive restaurant that has bad food and service. Why do they do it?

Oops, I've stepped on the soapbox. I'll get down now. -_-

Gave up on them (and the Chiefs) years ago. Never understood why the fans are so loyal when the owners have been delivering a poor to mediocre product for so many years. Kinda like repeatedly going to an expensive restaurant that has bad food and service. Why do they do it?

Cuz there's no other restaurants? B)

I've already confessed my Baltimore O's fan-hood, so I can say this -- The Royals have been the best AAAA team for the rest of MLB for several decades. Just look at some of the great talent that they drafted, developed, and then watched go on to free agency. In that regard, the Royals have done a far better job than my O's. Our players not only stink while they play for us, but they also stink when they play for everyone else after leaving...... :P

Chick

Gave up on them (and the Chiefs) years ago. Never understood why the fans are so loyal when the owners have been delivering a poor to mediocre pr

oduct for so many years. Kinda like repeatedly going to an expensive restaurant that has bad food and service. Why do they do it?

Oops, I've stepped on the soapbox. I'll get down now. -_-

Baseball is more about hope than anything else. I remember watching Brett, Saberhagen, White, Jackson in person. One keeps hoping they will produce another team like that.

True, they usually break your heart. If you always back a winner, you miss that delicious tension when the underdog comes out on top.

Do you prefer to always shoot against people you know you can beat, or do you prefer the tension of competing with shooters who normally beat you, in the hope that you can pull off a miracle?

Looks like the Tribe might make their most recent goal, 2nd place with an above .500 record. Pretty pathertic huh? That's why I'm still watchin cause I just love the game of baseball. Ya hafta to be a Tribe fan!:lol:

"The two most important hings in life are good friends and a strong bull pen."

Bob Lemon

Regardless of how the T.B. Rays' season end up, there has been some pretty bright spots in the line up. They lost a bunch of key players this year but picked up some great "no name" players. Jennings and Kotchman are just a few players that have really made a difference this season and have some great potential. Matt Moore's starting debut last night was (IMO) nothing less than spectacular. B.J. Upton has picked it up this year although he still just stands there after hitting the ball which drives me up a wall.

I think we need to get rid of Shoppach-C, Damon-DH (unless he will take a huge salary cut), Brignac-various and Davis-P to make room for some new faces.

Seven more games..... GO RAYS!!!!!

C.S.

My Rangers magic number is down to 2. We lost yesterday, but so did the Angels. We go back to Arlington to play the Mariners for 3 games, then wind up for 3 at the Angels. Hopefully we'll clinch the division by then. We're also needing to beat the Tigers' record for home field advantage in the playoffs. They won the season series which is the tie breaker if needed, and right now we have identical records. We have a 5 game lead with 6 games to go (3 against the weak Mariners) so barring a meltdown we should win the division, but sure need to keep up the skeer for home field. The Tigers have the O's and Indians left, and we still have the Angels, so it might be tough.

GO RANGERS!

JHC

Baseball is more about hope than anything else. I remember watching Brett, Saberhagen, White, Jackson in person. One keeps hoping they will produce another team like that.

True, they usually break your heart. If you always back a winner, you miss that delicious tension when the underdog comes out on top.

Do you prefer to always shoot against people you know you can beat, or do you prefer the tension of competing with shooters who normally beat you, in the hope that you can pull off a miracle?

I remember watching those guys too. Back then it was fun -- and affordable. It's the economics of professional sports that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This city has given hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to these teams and in return they've raised prices and still deliver a lousy product. Royals a.k.a Kaufmann Stadium was a great venue before David Glass held the city ransom and got $275 million of upgrades. Chiefs got $375 million. Billionaire owners, millionaire players... Think I better stop here. :)

"The two most important hings in life are good friends and a strong bull pen."

Bob Lemon

Great quote from a great pitcher with the Indians waaaaay back. Did ya know he actually started off in the Majors as a center fielder? Rye

Tonight, Thome gets a statue, hits a two run blast almost to where his longest HR in the park's history went. Game stayed tied until bottom of ninth, C. Santana hits a HR on first pitch. Second time this year he hit a walkoff HR....... :blush:

Tonight, Thome gets a statue, hits a two run blast almost to where his longest HR in the park's history went. Game stayed tied until bottom of ninth, C. Santana hits a HR on first pitch. Second time this year he hit a walkoff HR....... :blush:

That was a great game.;)

Great quote from a great pitcher with the Indians waaaaay back. Did ya know he actually started off in the Majors as a center fielder? Rye

Yup.

And Feller and Lemon in the same stable? Fuggedaboudit!

I have also seen Feller's bunk on the USS Alabama.

"Nothing flatters me more than to have it assumed that I could write prose...unless it be to have it assumed that I once pitched a baseball with distinction."

Robert Frost

Archived