SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy

Rooster Ron Wayne

Ok pards I own three Rossi 92s and I like them allot !

But I like the looks of the Henry Big Boy 44 mag .

I dont know any one who uses a Henry Big Boy in sass.

Is this gun any good ?

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible gun for cowboy shooting. Everyone I know that has one and that's just a few, has had a myriad of problems especially feeding issues. They're clunky, and not smooth at all. I'd use a Win 94 before that thing.:excl: Rye

I know you will get a bunch of negative replys on the HBB but everyone has thier own opinion. Many of those who will post have been at this game much longer than I have at only about 18 months. I shoot a HBB in .45 colt and have had no problems with it, just give it a squirt of oil every now and then. If I had it to over i probably would get '73 in all honesty. I have no issues with the Big Boy even though it is not a copy of any early lever action. Nor are my Ruger NMV by the way. I bought it based on the lever action in a pistol caliber and I too liked the way it looked and the price was right. It wont win any speed races, but I am the bigger hold back more so than the rifle.

In 3 years of CAS, I've never seen one perform reliably at speed in this game. If ya like the looks of it and don't mind shooting slow, go for it. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with that! If you want to be competitive however, you might want to pass. Depends on your goals.

Good luck!

Maybe I will look at a 66 if i can find one in 44 special or 44 mag.

I like the look of the 66 also.

Thanks all.

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

There are no 44 mag 66s. 44 spcl 66s are scarce. I have a 44 spcl 73 and it is a gem.

The Henry Big Ugly Boy is a jammamatic and loads goofy. Totally unsuited for CAS. I been at this 16.5 years and have seen mebbe a dozen pards or so bring a shiny new ugly boy to matches with high hopes. All those hopes were dashed. Most could not get thru a stage w/o hiccups much less a whole match. One GOFWG tried his for several matches but even he had to finally give up. I wish it weren't so but it is. It is what it is. Ugly Boys just don't work for CAS.

What I really and truly wish is that Henry would have given us a decent 66 or 73 copy made in the US with a loading gate. The prototype Big Boy had a normal loading gate like a levergun should have but, alas, the production version eliminated it. Dumb dumb move.

I have high hopes for the made in USA Redwing 73.

Maybe I will look at a 66 if i can find one in 44 special or 44 mag.

I like the look of the 66 also.

Thanks all.

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

Any reason it has to be .44 Sp or Mag? .38 SP and .44-40 are excellent '66 rifles. They make 'em in .45 cal, but the straight wall case in that caliber is less than ideal for a rifle.

If you want a gun that virtually no cowboy shoots, you can't get aftermarket parts for, a gun that is sometimes called a jam-o-matic, no short stroke kits are available for, most if not all CAS gunsmiths don't do action jobs on, and are Butt Ugly, then by all means buy the Henry. Buy a gun from a company that's President lied to cowboys on the SASS Wire that the gun was legal and it wasn't-before it was finally approved a year or more later. Buy a gun that doesn't even resemble any gun made in the time. Buy a gun from a company that tries to make you believe they have a relationship to the Henrys of old-they don't. Oh yes, they look like they were hit with an ugly stick.

I really really like the 44 special.

I own eight Rugers in 44 mag and four Rugers in 44 special .

I have three Rossi's in 44 mag in 92s.

So Im definitely going to keep with 44 special or 44 mag .

I did find one 44 special in a 66 on gunbrokers but i stopped bidding at 950.00 and it sold for 1400.00 if i remember right.

Good news is I dont need one!! just wont one !! LOL

Well thank you all for the info.

See me in the saloon and i will buy a round !!

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

There are no 44 mag 66s. 44 spcl 66s are scarce. I have a 44 spcl 73 and it is a gem....<snip>

I love my 44 spcl '66 as well. They were scarce 8-10 years ago, but not now. Cimarron has had them in stock continuously for at least the last 3 or 4 years.

Most people who rag on the Henry haven't even shot one.

Its not the best CAS rifle sure, but it is a strong action amd suitable as a hunting gun or camp gun. I would not have a problem depending on it for that purpose...

GG

I really really like the 44 special.

I own eight Rugers in 44 mag and four Rugers in 44 special .

I have three Rossi's in 44 mag in 92s.

So Im definitely going to keep with 44 special or 44 mag .

I did find one 44 special in a 66 on gunbrokers but i stopped bidding at 950.00 and it sold for 1400.00 if i remember right.

Good news is I dont need one!! just wont one !! LOL

Well thank you all for the info.

See me in the saloon and i will buy a round !!

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

As a fellow fan of .44 spcl, let me give you an option that has worked for me. I do have a 73 in 44 spcl and like it but love looking like the Duke and usually go for my 92 in 44 mag. However, when the current Duke commerative came out in .44-40, I had to have it. Now making a long story short I had bought a .44 mag barrel to be installed on it, but when I took it to the smith that does a lot of smithing for cowboys here, he looked at me and asked if I really wanted to change the barrel? I of course said no, but I want to shoot .44 spcl, his idea was to "ream" the barrel with a 308 die that allowed the barrel chamber to fire both .44 spcl and .44-40 without damaging the gun or .44-40 cartridges. Now did I ruin the value of the gun? Or because it can and does shoot both calibers have I made it more valuable, who cares! My suggestion to you is to get a 66 in .44-40 and have it reamed to fire .44 spcl. It works for me. And as the others have said to you, if you want the Golden Boy go for it. I am always being "kidded" abut the big loops on my 92's, but I have only competed for last place in any category I ever shot in and my "win" is to walk around "heeled" and shoot cowboy guns. Who says you only need one rifle? You can always get another one later! Have fun! That's the important point in this here game.

Abilen said Cimarron makes the 66 in 44 special so im going to look in to that.

Thank you for all the Info .

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

Abilen said Cimarron makes the 66 in 44 special so im going to look in to that.

Thank you for all the Info .

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

Wise choice IMO

GG ~ :FlagAm:

WOW, I had been debating on selling my '66 in 44spec but at those kind of prices the debate is over now! Thinking all of the pards will love me to death if I go with a very low-ball price of, say, $1,000.00 plus shipping. There are several options for the 44mag fans and though Henry left me with a sour taste, they are one of the options. They are legal and I know of two guns that are frequently at our matches. Their owners are very slow and deliberate shooters who are not interested in the trophys and just enjoy the shooting fun, could be said that this alone makes them winners. PS: They almost always shoot clean, for what that is worth. PPS: I'm not mad enuff with Henry to get rid of my two Henry .22s.

WOW, I had been debating on selling my '66 in 44spec but at those kind of prices the debate is over now! Thinking all of the pards will love me to death if I go with a very low-ball price of, say, $1,000.00 plus shipping. There are several options for the 44mag fans and though Henry left me with a sour taste, they are one of the options. They are legal and I know of two guns that are frequently at our matches. Their owners are very slow and deliberate shooters who are not interested in the trophys and just enjoy the shooting fun, could be said that this alone makes them winners. PS: They almost always shoot clean, for what that is worth. PPS: I'm not mad enuff with Henry to get rid of my two Henry .22s.

A sensible post ;)

:FlagAm: If you want a rifle that is competitive buy an Italian clone and put several hundred dollars into it to make it that way.

If you want a gun that is made in America by American workers and that is backed by the company 100% buy the Henry.

When you call Henry for service you will generally get the owner or his son on the phone and they will make it right.

Call that Italian company and see who answers the phone but you better be able to speak Italian first

Keep Americans working or Italians working your choice?

:FlagAm:

:FlagAm: If you want a rifle that is competitive buy an Italian clone and put several hundred dollars into it to make it that way.

If you want a gun that is made in America by American workers and that is backed by the company 100% buy the Henry.

When you call Henry for service you will generally get the owner or his son on the phone and they will make it right.

Call that Italian company and see who answers the phone but you better be able to speak Italian first

OTOH, buy a Marlin, they work so you don't need to call the company and see who answers. They are also made in the USA and not as ugly as the pretender.

I have had several Marlins i really don't care for the Marlin.

Yes it has a strong action yes its made in the USA .

I just don't like the looks of the gun .

I will keep looking for a 66.

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

Guys, what would be the current going price that SR would expect to pay for a used Cimmaron Uberti '66 in .44spec? The $1,000 thing above was said in jest and I know better prices are out there. One other thing you would need to realize SR, those old toggle link actions, even though made with modern materials will not handle anywhere near mag loads and should even be kept on the mid to low side of modern .44 special loads.

Yep. And with that BB you will more than likely be calling them a lot.

Heck even they sent one off to a cowboy smith to see if they could get it to run like

a SASS gun should.

Love there .22

Guys, what would be the current going price that SR would expect to pay for a used Cimmaron Uberti '66 in .44spec? The $1,000 thing above was said in jest and I know better prices are out there. One other thing you would need to realize SR, those old toggle link actions, even though made with modern materials will not handle anywhere near mag loads and should even be kept on the mid to low side of modern .44 special loads.

SAAMI spec loads in 44 Special will be fine....they make these rifles in 45 Colt as we all know.....but you are right - NO +P loads for sure in those calibers for toggle link actions...

http://www.saami.org/

PS: he contacted me about buying my after seeing my post and i have not researched it yet, a reasonable price on both of our parts would be??? I had planned on possibly selling the .44 rifle with its set of .44 R/M Army Conversions in the near future anyway.

GG

Well, I never drove a Yugo either but I'd have something to say if I knew someone who was thinking of buying one.

Its not the best CAS rifle sure, but it is a strong action amd suitable as a hunting gun or camp gun. I would not have a problem depending on it for that purpose...

GG

Guess I am not most people. I rag on them. And have shot more than one.

Could not get past 7-8th shot on any of them before they jammed.

And have seem even more show up with the same problem.

I can add 2+2 and come up with 4 pretty easy. Don't need a professor to tell me its so.

But you are right about it being a good hunting, plinking gun. Just not a good one for this game.

And I do like there .22 and hear that there service is really great.

Have already bought my Grandson one of there .22's when he was born. So I do like the company.

I just like the brass look of the Henry rifle !

But now im more interested in a 66.

I have contacted Slowhand Bob but his rifle and two pistols have consecutive numbers

and he really dont wont to separate the guns .

And i dont blame him .

I would not separate my guns ether .

GOD BLESS THE USA !!!

Archived