SASS Wire Forum

Guess Which Auto Is

Cypress Sun

The auto made with the most American parts and labor is...............the Toyota Camery. Go figure. Second and third are Honda Accord and Chevy Malibu. This comes from Cars.com annual American-Made Index. It ranks the most-American vehicles based on the percentage of their parts that where made domestically, where they are assembled and how many are sold to U.S. buyers.

It seems that too many "American" vehicles are made with foreign parts and made in Mexico or Canada. And people wonder why our economy is in the toilet.

CS

The auto made with the most American parts and labor is...............the Toyota Camery. Go figure. Second and third are Honda Accord and Chevy Malibu. This comes from Cars.com annual American-Made Index. It ranks the most-American vehicles based on the percentage of their parts that where made domestically, where they are assembled and how many are sold to U.S. buyers.

It seems that too many "American" vehicles are made with foreign parts and made in Mexico or Canada. And people wonder why our economy is in the toilet.

CS

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that my Tundra was more "American" than the comparable big three pickups.

Yep- It's been that way for awhile too. It always cracks me up when someone claims that I am un-American if I drive a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan (all of which make more vehicles in the US than Ford, Chevy, or GM), while they drive off in their Mexican made Ford...

Yep- It's been that way for awhile too. It always cracks me up when someone claims that I am un-American if I drive a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan (all of which make more vehicles in the US than Ford, Chevy, or GM), while they drive off in their Mexican made Ford...

I agree, my father-in-law used to give me all kinds of grief because we had a Mitsubishi Galant. It was made in NORMAL, IL 15 miles from our home for crying out loud. How do you get more American than Normal, IL? :P

It might depend upon what you consider to be "buying American". In the short run, some jobs exist in the US due to parts suppliers and assembly plants for "overseas" brands. On the other hand, the ultimate profit from the sale of those vehicles heads offshore, as does the stock value, taxes and dividends; investment return on that money may be overseas as well....

While I tend to buy for quality, I try to make sure that at least one of the vehicles in my garage is a US based brand. Sentimental, I guess...

LL

It might depend upon what you consider to be "buying American". In the short run, some jobs exist in the US due to parts suppliers and assembly plants for "overseas" brands. On the other hand, the ultimate profit from the sale of those vehicles heads offshore, as does the stock value, taxes and dividends; investment return on that money may be overseas as well....

While I tend to buy for quality, I try to make sure that at least one of the vehicles in my garage is a US based brand. Sentimental, I guess...

LL

I keep hearing the old line that "the money goes to Japan." I hate to say it, but Toyota, Honda and Nissan are all traded on international stock exchanges, including NYSE. That means if you want shares of Toyota and the accompanying dividends (or losses) you can. They also have R&D labs here in the U.S., Honda with one not far away from me in Ohio. I've flown over Honda's in a small plane. I wish I could get some wheel time on that test track! Then we have the fact that those paychecks earned by U.S. workers stay in the U.S. economy, and I will avoid sentiment when buying new, and look for the best value. I will save sentiment for old pony cars, muscle cars, and 4x4s.

I am glad to see the US automakers turning things around. It seems like they are finally getting their act together with renegotiated union contracts and better quality products.

Having said that, I still can't bring myself to buying a car made by the US companies. Why? Because about $2,000 of the price of each car is going to pay pensions and benefits for former employees. That means that $2,000 isn't going into the value of the vehicle at all. If I'm paying $20,000 for a vehicle, I don't want to get $18,000 worth of car. $2,000 is a high price for sentiment.

On the other hand, the ultimate profit from the sale of those vehicles heads offshore, as does the stock value, taxes and dividends; investment return on that money may be overseas as well....

It cuts both ways. Ford and GM have extensive and profitable operations overseas as well. ;)

I can buy stock in any car company I want. That means the profits come back to good ol' Eastern Tennessee, irrespective of where the corporate headquarters sit.

I choose my cars based upon my needs first, quality second, and then where are they assembled in third place.

I consider my wife's Subaru, assembled in Lafayette, Indiana, to be a great American made car. My Ford Ranger assembled in St. Paul, Minnesota, is also wonderful for me.

every one of you can keep your new cars

I prefer my old school All American made truck

My truck

My truck differant view

every one of you can keep your new cars

I prefer my old school All American made truck

My truck

My truck differant view

Very Cool!!!

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Buy Ford - the others are c%$# :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Friends don't let friends drive FORDS!! :lol::)

My old '97 Chevy Dually has over 314,000 miles on it and is still goin'! I could use another piece of "c%$#" or two like that! :FlagAm::wub::lol:

Friends don't let friends drive FORDS!! :lol::)

My old '97 Chevy Dually has over 314,000 miles on it and is still goin'! I could use another piece of "c%$#" or two like that! :FlagAm::wub::lol:

Please tell me your secret. I had a 2001 Chevy 2500 that blew the injector sleeves at 92,000 miles and the head gasket at 105,000.

Please tell me your secret. I had a 2001 Chevy 2500 that blew the injector sleeves at 92,000 miles and the head gasket at 105,000.

My secret is that if it don't weigh 18,000 lbs and don't have two live axles or agri tires it ain't gonna' be no DA^^N deisel!!

The answer is 7.4 litres of Chevrolet BIG BLOCK or MORE!! :wub::FlagAm::):D:excl:

That looks like a 57 Chevy front end and a 60 Chevy rear end

19 years ago when I was selling cars the Crown Vic / Grand Marquis had the highest % of US made parts of any car. We also sold a Merc roadster made in Australia, the Sable / Taurus cars were Canadian and Japanese, and the Lincoln Town Car looked like a who's who of the UN.

28 months ago I sold my Chevy Cavalier and bought a Tacoma by Toyota. My insurance lady asked why I'd give up an American car and buy Japanese. I told her to get on her computer and look up where the Cav was made. Mexico. Where was the Toyota made? Fort Worth.

My wife's Saturn Ion is made from mostly American parts in West Virginia with almost NO union labor....but Saturn is out of business now.

Tequila, if ya get a little newer the Duramax diesels are great. A good friend of my has a company with 9 diesel trucks, he has 3 older F250's, and switched to Duramax's in '07. He says his fuel mileage is better even though the '07 is not very good and upkeep is about 18% lower, significant if you're in business. The new F250's are good trucks, too. His older ones are 6 liter Fords, and there's a laundry list of problems with those. I'm trying to be patient and wait until the rebates get right, looking to buy a 2011 Duramax 2500....Just the big three in the HD pickup business, all that hype in the Tundra commercials don't pan out if you're trying to pull 13,000lbs......

Just the big three in the HD pickup business, all that hype in the Tundra commercials don't pan out if you're trying to pull 13,000lbs......

It isn't hype, 13,000lb is simply beyond the capability of what is a half ton pickup, or perhaps a "heavy half." Hype would be claiming it could despite the facts.

My 2010 Pontiac Vibe was made in California at the Fremont Toyota plant where they also made the Toyota Matrix. Most of the parts were USA made 'cept fer the engine. It's a great little car 35+ mpg and plenty of room fer 2 cowboy carts and guns. This is the last Pontiac made.:mellow: Rye

Tequila, if ya get a little newer the Duramax diesels are great. A good friend of my has a company with 9 diesel trucks, he has 3 older F250's, and switched to Duramax's in '07. He says his fuel mileage is better even though the '07 is not very good and upkeep is about 18% lower, significant if you're in business. The new F250's are good trucks, too. His older ones are 6 liter Fords, and there's a laundry list of problems with those. I'm trying to be patient and wait until the rebates get right, looking to buy a 2011 Duramax 2500....Just the big three in the HD pickup business, all that hype in the Tundra commercials don't pan out if you're trying to pull 13,000lbs......

I liked the Dmax engine despite it's problems and the Allison transmission is probably the best there is. But since they wouldn't stand by their defective product I replaced it with a 2008 F-250 with the 6.4L engine.

I say defective product because they extended the factory warranty to 7 years or 200,000 miles on the injector sleeves. They went with only 92,000 miles on the truck. When they ran the VIN they said I was outside the 7-year warranty by FIVE days and wouldn't honor it.

I agree, my father-in-law used to give me all kinds of grief because we had a Mitsubishi Galant. It was made in NORMAL, IL 15 miles from our home for crying out loud. How do you get more American than Normal, IL? :P

I had family there.... There's nothing normal about Normal..........lol

I can buy stock in any car company I want. That means the profits come back to good ol' Eastern Tennessee, irrespective of where the corporate headquarters sit.

I choose my cars based upon my needs first, quality second, and then where are they assembled in third place.

I consider my wife's Subaru, assembled in Lafayette, Indiana, to be a great American made car. My Ford Ranger assembled in St. Paul, Minnesota, is also wonderful for me.

Well if you like your Ranger;you'd better go get a new one.This is the LAST year for Rangers.The plant in St Paul is closing and with it goes the Ranger line.

That's one sweet ride, Shoer.

Thanks Grumpy

Yawn, a Chevy / Ford / Dodge / fill in the blank war.

I've owned them all, had good and bad from them all.

yep so have I Grizz but I still like Chevys/GMC I'm driving an f250 now

Archived