SASS Wire Forum

To Have a Cross or Not...

J.P.Sloe , SASS # 23506

WOW! What a tempest in this teapot. Simply amazing what some folks will argue about.

Buena suerte,

eGG

(who always DID prefer Maryanne) :lol:

? What's the problem ? - we can't have a friendly debate or expression on the Wire? Honestly, I feel this has been rather cordial and it's good to see the expression of views either way.

Believe me - there have been worse.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? What's the problem ? - we can't have a friendly debate or expression on the Wire? Honestly, I feel this has been rather cordial and it's good to see the expression of views either way.

Believe me - there have been worse.

Yes, it HAS been a cordial and energetic exchange of views. As a non-christian, though, I am amazed at the depth of feeling about what appears to me to be a trivial subject (beggin' everyone's pardon). I am reminded of the Lilliputians' wars between the Big Endians and the Little Endians.....

I am ducking the tomatoes, now.

eGG

Well, I am reminded that this country, and the principles that it was founded upon, are being eaten away. Internally, by the spineless, the ignorant, the ACLU and the ego-maniacs on both sides of the aisle who really don't give a crap about anyone other than themselves. Externally, by countries who ask us to defend them and are at the same time insulted by the presence of a cross on their lands.

Many of us wore a cross while in harms way in the military. Whether you were religious was one thing...but I didn't know many atheists back then. The cross may have been nothing more than a talisman to some, but to others, it was just as important as the flag or the picture of a wife/girlfriend/family in your wallet. That cross had a broader connotation than the hope for resurrection. To many of us, it was a hope that we wouldn't die that day and that resurrection would be put off for a great while.

I don't so much object to not having a chapel. But I do object to taking away the symbol that is important to the vast majority of the users of that chapel. If you didn't show a cross in the first place, you'd probably not have objections from me or many others. But, to show a cross then back away from that....well, you're doing a disservice to those who fund the project. You might as well take down the Stars and Stripes.

All in all, I pretty much didn't expect much backbone on the part of those in charge on this. It must not mean much to them in any context if they are willing to tear it down over a letter to a cowboy newspaper.

Might as well dispense with the Pledge at matches too.

Might offend some letter writer.

I have been following this discussion with interest. I do not believe in political correctness. When I first heard about the building of the structure the name was Cowboy Memorial Chapel. Just as the town is growing after a saloon and stable a Chapel or School House would appear. This to go along with all of the shoots I have been to in my short one year membership; The Pledge of Allegiance and a pray starts all of these shoots. With our group being of a wide assortment of members the building of a Chapel was appropriate. Being raised as a military brat and then serving 42 years, 21 in uniform and 21 as Department Army Civilian a Chapel means to me a place of gathering and conducting services of many different believes in the same facility. In the military the personnel conducting the services where refereed to as Chaplains from the Chaplain Corps. Therefore, the structure as a Chapel I believe is appropriate. In all of my years of travel though out military post the Chapel did not have a cross or other religious symbols on the outside of the building. Most had a steeple and a bell for call to service. Most of the old pictures of old western towns the chapel was recognized as large white building with a steeple and possible a bell. So my believe is calling it a chapel without a cross on the outside is appropriate. However, If there is a cross outside that would not stop me from donating for the building of the structure or attending services there. My only reason to not attend or participate would be if Christian preaching consist of damnation to other faiths since I am not a Christian.

My two cents worth

Major Bill

I have been following this discussion with interest. I do not believe in political correctness. When I first heard about the building of the structure the name was Cowboy Memorial Chapel. Just as the town is growing after a saloon and stable a Chapel or School House would appear. This to go along with all of the shoots I have been to in my short one year membership; The Pledge of Allegiance and a pray starts all of these shoots. With our group being of a wide assortment of members the building of a Chapel was appropriate. Being raised as a military brat and then serving 42 years, 21 in uniform and 21 as Department Army Civilian a Chapel means to me a place of gathering and conducting services of many different believes in the same facility. In the military the personnel conducting the services where refereed to as Chaplains from the Chaplain Corps. Therefore, the structure as a Chapel I believe is appropriate. In all of my years of travel though out military post the Chapel did not have a cross or other religious symbols on the outside of the building. Most had a steeple and a bell for call to service. Most of the old pictures of old western towns the chapel was recognized as large white building with a steeple and possible a bell. So my believe is calling it a chapel without a cross on the outside is appropriate. However, If there is a cross outside that would not stop me from donating for the building of the structure or attending services there. My only reason to not attend or participate would be if Christian preaching consist of damnation to other faiths since I am not a Christian.

My two cents worth

Major Bill

I have not heard that it will be used for religious services. It was my understanding it was to be a memorial to our departed friends.

and place of reflection. Like a hospital chapel.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

I have not heard that it will be used for religious services. It was my understanding it was to be a memorial to our departed friends.

Exactly what I assumed. Like a Hospital Chapel.

Here's a V.A. Hospital Chapel in Hampton, Va.

http://image51.webshots.com/51/7/37/86/2649737860012163316hkrrJY_fs.jpg

Here's the V.A. Hospital Chapel in Nashville, Tn.

http://image06.webshots.com/6/8/29/57/83082957nEYLiJ_ph.jpg

Here's a Hospital Chapel in the Cebu Cancer Institute in the Phillipines. Very nice folks there.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/V.A.%20hospital%20chapels/pinakamaldito/DSC01310.jpg

I'm sure religious services such as Cowboy Church, weddings, and funerals will the held in the Chapel.

I'm sure religious services such as Cowboy Church, weddings, and funerals will the held in the Chapel.

Well maybe but I thought it was going to be pretty small.

I agree with BQ. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember reading (in the Cowboy Chronicle?) where the size of the structure would likely be increased from the original concept due to the size of the turnout for Cowboy Church at EoT.

I do have one question... Has anyone actually lodged a complaint about a cross being erected, or the structure being called a chapel, or this just a case of someone being overly concerned about political correctness and trying to strike a preemptive blow?

Regards, TJH

Bob, this is straight off the page about it:

Together we recognized our town was lacking a Chapel—a structure where we could worship our God and pay our respects to the many friends who have gone before us. We needed a center of gravity—we needed a Chapel! And now the work has begun. We are now working together to raise the funds necessary to build this noble edifice where we can pray together and rejoice in the memory of our beloved friends who have gone before us.

Now, I may be wrong, but that sounds like some sort of service, even an impromptu, multi-denominational prayer service.

With that wording, and the image on that page of a building with a Cross, I can understand people thinking that the building would have a Cross and feel as if they were misled by the advertising when they read that the building will be sans Cross.

My two cents worth

Major Bill

Well said. Many military chapels are devoid of overt religious symbology as they must accomodate Catholic, Protestant, Orthadox, Jewish, etc. services. I've got a prayer book that was given to me by a Deacon at our Catholic church. It was issued to him when he took an infantry company ashore at Iwo Jima. It had Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish services in it. As Company Commander, he officiated at funerals for his troops because there were not enough chaplains to go 'round. He stated that it was strange being a devout Catholic reading a Jewish service, but it was what needed to be done. So he did it.

Build it and put a sign in front. Put anything you want on the sign. This is how I've seen it done on most Naval bases. It's not just PC, it's being respectful to the beliefs of whoever walks in the door.

SQQ

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Well said. Many military chapels are devoid of overt religious symbology as they must accomodate Catholic, Protestant, Orthadox, Jewish, etc. services. I've got a prayer book that was given to me by a Deacon at our Catholic church. It was issued to him when he took an infantry company ashore at Iwo Jima. It had Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish services in it. As Company Commander, he officiated at funerals for his troops because there were not enough chaplains to go 'round. He stated that it was strange being a devout Catholic reading a Jewish service, but it was what needed to be done. So he did it.

Build it and put a sign in front. Put anything you want on the sign. This is how I've seen it done on most Naval bases. It's not just PC, it's being respectful to the beliefs of whoever walks in the door.

SQQ

You said, "Many military chapels are devoid of overt religious symbology as they must accomodate Catholic, Protestant, Orthadox, Jewish, etc. services."

That's just not true. See all of the examples (pictures) that I have posted.

Even a tent field chapel has symbols denoting what it is. See this picture of a U.S.Navy temporary tent chapel on the grounds of the Pentagon after 9-11 and tell me if it doesn't have symbols to identify it as a Chapel.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/US_Navy_010912-N-3235P-024_Temporary_chapel_on_Pentagon_grounds.jpg

You said, "Many military chapels are devoid of overt religious symbology as they must accomodate Catholic, Protestant, Orthadox, Jewish, etc. services."

That's just not true. See all of the examples (pictures) that I have posted.

Even a tent field chapel has symbols denoting what it is. See this picture of a U.S.Navy temporary tent chapel on the grounds of the Pentagon after 9-11 and tell me if it doesn't have symbols to identify it as a Chapel.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/US_Navy_010912-N-3235P-024_Temporary_chapel_on_Pentagon_grounds.jpg

Ah, the tent has removeable flags. That's OK 'cause we can put up other flags. And they are not integral to the tent; they're like the signs I described.

IME if a military chapel has multiple users then it will be more "generic" than a chapel used by a single faith. I don't think that ought to be a surprise to anyone. The sign tells people the specifics and the signs often hold faith-specific symbology.

Again, there's nothing wrong with a sign outside. When you put the symbology into the structure, itself, you can create a problem.

Frankly the structure under consideration is going to be a private building on private property and they can put anything on it they want to. My suggestion was simply a way to avoid some bad feelings.

SQQ

Feeeeelinnnnnngggssssssssss.....nothin more than feeeeeeeeeeeellllllllliiinnnnnnnnngggggsssss......

The heck with a chapel. Get a hot tub with a wine cask next to it.

Woa woa woa feeeeeelllllllllllliiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggggggssss..........

Feeeeelinnnnnngggssssssssss.....nothin more than feeeeeeeeeeeellllllllliiinnnnnnnnngggggsssss......

The heck with a chapel. Get a hot tub with a wine cask next to it.

Woa woa woa feeeeeelllllllllllliiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggggggssss..........

oh joy....

Well, I am reminded that this country, and the principles that it was founded upon, are being eaten away. Internally, by the spineless, the ignorant, the ACLU and the ego-maniacs on both sides of the aisle who really don't give a crap about anyone other than themselves. Externally, by countries who ask us to defend them and are at the same time insulted by the presence of a cross on their lands.

Many of us wore a cross while in harms way in the military. Whether you were religious was one thing...but I didn't know many atheists back then. The cross may have been nothing more than a talisman to some, but to others, it was just as important as the flag or the picture of a wife/girlfriend/family in your wallet. That cross had a broader connotation than the hope for resurrection. To many of us, it was a hope that we wouldn't die that day and that resurrection would be put off for a great while.

I don't so much object to not having a chapel. But I do object to taking away the symbol that is important to the vast majority of the users of that chapel. If you didn't show a cross in the first place, you'd probably not have objections from me or many others. But, to show a cross then back away from that....well, you're doing a disservice to those who fund the project. You might as well take down the Stars and Stripes.

All in all, I pretty much didn't expect much backbone on the part of those in charge on this. It must not mean much to them in any context if they are willing to tear it down over a letter to a cowboy newspaper.

Might as well dispense with the Pledge at matches too.

Might offend some letter writer.

I think the sea cow pretty much sums up what I think. It is a shame this is even being discussed. The progressives/liberals are well on their

way to changing our history and the very culture that made this the greatest Country in history. Welfare, huge goverment, gay marriage, $5 gas prices or higher, bankrupt local, state and federal governments is what these people bring us. And political correction is a core principle they use to eliminate God from this country. Sadly, they are winning. So many good people just don't have the guts to stand up and be counted and think they are sooooooooo tolerant. I bet that 99% of all SASS members want the cross on top, but the vocal minority dominates because so many are afraid of being called intolerant. This same stuff brought us Obama. How's that working out for you?

I have pretty much kept out of this because not being too eloquent with words I may be misconstrued. Having said that, I WHOLEHEARTLY AGREE WITH MANATEE!!!!!!!!!! FURTHERMORE, I FEEL THAT IT IS AN INSULT TO THOSE WHO HAVE DONATED FUNDS AND WORKED ON THE PROJECT!!!

If a group or individual doesn't like it, then let them come up with a plan for a temple or whatever and the funds to build it.

Yes, this is the Wild Bunch's business, or whatever you want to call it, but come on......

Cheyenne, dumbfounded, Culpepper

With all this, I read Tex's article when I got my Chronicle. I didn't see anything about the chapel!

It was ethics, moral, and right and wrong - and the strength to stand up for what you believe.

We all need a firm foundation in understanding what's right and what's wrong. We need to remember what has made this country free and great . . . and resolve to not let anyone take away from us.

Then I turned the page - and "I sure wouldn't want to offend anyone...."

And interesting juxtaposition.

If Tex had said nothing, almost no one would have been offended by a cross. Now, we cannot win.

I don't know why Tex loves to feed a fire as much as he does.

Well said, Manatee.

Howdy pards: The goal should be a Cowboy memorial....not a tribute to any religion......try and make it as general as possible.......religion and politics are issues that will separate us rather than bring us together in rememberance of our past Pards...I don't want to know what religion the guy next to me is .....By the way Ike there's not many 700plus shooters at the founders ranch events (once a year end of trail)...And I don't think you really believe ALL would attend?????How many attend the cowboy church services at these events now....Those who attend should decide I guess............Tuco.( Graduate of Pius X Catholic High School)a long time ago....Peace .

Howdy pards: The goal should be a Cowboy memorial....not a tribute to any religion......try and make it as general as possible.......religion and politics are issues that will separate us rather than bring us together in rememberance of our past Pards...I don't want to know what religion the guy next to me is .....By the way Ike there's not many 700plus shooters at the founders ranch events (once a year end of trail)...And I don't think you really believe ALL would attend?????How many attend the cowboy church services at these events now....Those who attend should decide I guess............Tuco.( Graduate of Pius X Catholic High School)a long time ago....Peace .

I just got my CC and read the article. My initial impression when the project started was that it was to be a permanent memorial to our departed friends with name plates or inscribed bricks or something of that nature. At least that was my impression. I see it has evolved into a larger non-denominational church where services will be held.

I guess I don't really have a dog in this fight. I hope it turns out okay. Adios.

Hi Bobby and others,

IIRC, the only post I've made about this was that I thought it would be nice to have a small plaque on the wall in honor of each shooter (name, alias, years). I was told (here on the Wire) that was not feasible...

About the cross, it seems to me that a steeple and bell is sufficient. A cross would be fine too.

I would like to know what the folks who did ALL of the work fundraising think. Do they feel misled that there will be no cross? The folks I am thinking of have not posted here.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Bobby and others,

IIRC, the only post I've made about this was that I thought it would be nice to have a small plaque on the wall in honor of each shooter (name, alias, years). I was told (here on the Wire) that was not feasible...

About the cross, it seems to me that a steeple and bell is sufficient. A cross would be fine too.

I would like to know what the folks who did ALL of the work fundraising think. Do they feel misled that there will be no cross? The folks I am thinking of have not posted here.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well - I only contributed $20 in the raffle toward the chapel....but will pledge a amount higher to see this project go through...with or without the cross. Honestly, I was not misled and didn't think about it either way at the time. Maybe the big contributors feel different.

May GOD bless our sport, those who we remember that have passed on, and the next generation that continues the FUN!

Trying to look at this rationally, even though I admit I was shocked at first to read that the chapel wouldn't have a cross on it:

In the old west many buildings were used as churches, but they weren't always only a church. Building a building that was used once or twice a week was costly and out of reach for many communities. I doubt they put crosses on schools etc. even though those buildings were used as churches on weekends.

A symbol isn't the religion. A building doesn't have to have a cross on it to be a church. In my own locality there are several churches that meet in school buildings. Those folks have the cross in them, they could meet anywhere and be a church.

Fact is, there are many religions represented in SASS, each with their own symbols. I assume each person carries their religion in their heart, minds and souls and don't need a symbol on the building to have it represent a church for them.

I hope there are services in the new chapel, the congregation or preacher can bring the symbols they need or want and display them during the service and the service will not be any less for the lack of a symbol that is not seen on the exterior of the church.

All in all, there are more reasons to not have a cross on the chapel than there are to have on on it. Not all of these reasons are political correctness at all. These reasons are based in history and the nature of the building being a memorial and gathering place for many people of many religions.

The first church service I remember was in an unused room above the J. C. Penny store in Toppenish, Washington. No markings inside or out, but God knew where we were and what we were doing.

Having said that, I still feel a cross should be on the chapel at Founders ranch.

With that, I bow out of the discussion.

Hi Bobby and others,

Regards,

Allie Mo

Huh? Say what?? I distinctly remember when the project started that the main purpose of the building would be to house brass plaques on the walls of departed cowboy shooters. Whatcha mean this is not feasible? Cross or no cross the plaques need to be allowed for sure and for certain.

I KNEW i shud have held my tongue a bit longer....The folks that have pushed the chapel and did most of the work don't find the issue of a cross on top a big issue, and they don't want to see it become a major problem.

So, after learning that, i would agree that it shud not be an issue.

Cheyenne :blush:

I think the sea cow pretty much sums up what I think. It is a shame this is even being discussed. The progressives/liberals are well on their

way to changing our history and the very culture that made this the greatest Country in history. Welfare, huge goverment, gay marriage, $5 gas prices or higher, bankrupt local, state and federal governments is what these people bring us. And political correction is a core principle they use to eliminate God from this country. Sadly, they are winning. So many good people just don't have the guts to stand up and be counted and think they are sooooooooo tolerant. I bet that 99% of all SASS members want the cross on top, but the vocal minority dominates because so many are afraid of being called intolerant. This same stuff brought us Obama. How's that working out for you?

Amen!

RRR

You guys crack me up. People express opinions on why they don't believe a cross should be on the building and suddenly we're guilty about something, we don't know what we are talking about and here's the best;

We are now responsible for bankrupting the government, we have caused high gas prices, the degradation of the supposed morals of this country, and balding of old cowboys. Give me a break.

The tent set up for services had both a Christian symbol and a Judaism symbol. Again trying to at least some accommodation for two of the larger religions.

The comment I made about doing research on the symbols used in the military was because your statement implied that all military personnel in the chaplain corps wore a cross. No they don't is all I was saying.

The pictures shown of VA Chapels having crosses are pictures of older facilities. I design chapels for the VA and other hospitals. None of them have any permanent religious icons attached to them. They choose to respect all of our veteran, no matter what the number, and their "individual" beliefs.

Somebody looked up the definition of Chapel in Wikepidea. The definition says a chapel is a place of worship. And its recognized as a place of worship for Christians. So a Chapel can be non-denominational.

You are choosing to apply the definition of a chapel as a Christian building. Others choose to apply it to a building with no affiliation.

While no one here is an expert on the individual nuances of all religions and especially the wildly diverse opinions on what the Bible says, and the many different religions within Christianity, the minute you place any religious icon on that building there will be someone, with some belief that won't allow them to enter the building let alone attend a service. And that means you have done a dis-service to the premise that the USA is a country where freedom of choice is paramount to the whole concept of what freedom means.

And amazingly enough the majority doesn't always rule when it come to our Bill of Rights.

And so to keep the record clear I am a white, heterosexual male, republican conservative with my beliefs founded on most of the principals of Christianity. I just don't feel the need to plaster icons all over the place to allow me to believe in what I do.

It's in my heart and my mind.

Ike

What gets me is the people, non-believers as it were, are so upset about something they don't believe in in the first place. If a cross upsets you, think of it as a decoration with no meaning, as some have said, and go about your life in a friendly, non-argumentative manner. For those of us that do believe, we will do the same. I will not try, I hope, to push my beliefs on you, if you will try not to PC your non-beliefs on me. Put it this way...At the end if I am wrong in my belief of God, it has cost you nothin to leave me alone to my time in church, prayer, chapel, etc. However, if I am right and you are wrong..........

I have the Joy to be a Christian, just clinging to a saving Hand. That said, the cross is not necessary for anything. We do not need to have it atop OUR chapel.

Last summer an aunt of mine died. Her oldest son could not enter the church where we had the funeral because of his religious beliefs.

If the cross atop the building keeps one SASS member from entering the door, we should forego the cross. It is not that necessary of an appendage and I do not think Christ will hold it against us.

Tolerance of the beliefs of all cowboy shooters should be our watchword.

+1 Lone Dog

My point all along. To potentially deny any one person access to this place because an Icon causes that is wrong in anyones eyes. Or at least it should be.

Ike

I don't think the presence of a cross would DENY access to anyone. But, if someone will be offened by it's presence, then by all means let's do the politicaly correct thing. Better to offend the majority then the minority, that's what this country was built on.....(yeah right)

Just remember, The freedom OF religion does not mean a freedom FROM religion.

Let me see if I understand the way some people think here...."Put a cross on top of it and worry about offending a few" or "don't put a cross on top of it and offend the majority of the people that contributed to it and that believe that this country was based on Judeo/Christian values and that these values are being eroded by a politically correct and vocal few"

To me the decision seems simple, we go by the rule of the majority while protecting the rights of the minority. Put the cross up and allow the minority to come and go as they please. In fact, if there is a large enough group that wants to contribute to a building and put a bathtub on the top of it, then let them have it, and let them build a place to put it. I won't object to that at all. So why do we think anyone is going to object to a cowboy chapel having a cross on top of it? And if they do object, why do we care? I know, because we are supposed to be politically sensitive to the needs of others. Gag me please, I think I'm going to be sick!

Archived