SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Grips

Dream Chaser, SASS #79316

In reading through an earlier post about what tools champions use many said they use gunfighter grips. As a woman my hands are large for a woman but I would say medium or a little smaller as compared to a man. I have the SASS Ruger Vaqueros which I love but I am wondering if gunfighter grips might make them even better. I would like to hear from those who like them and those who don't and why they feel the way they do about them. Also, any advice as to smooth, checkered, particular makers, etc. would be nice to hear. Unfortunately I know that buying what the champions use won't make me a champion but maybe they will make me feel like one.

Wildcat and I both have checkered Rosewood and smooth Ivory polymer grips from Eagle Grips. There are two reasons we changed, they look nice, and they fit our hands better than the standard grips. Some folks don't like the smooth grips, stating they slip in the hand. We have not experienced that, but we live in a climate that is relatively cool year around. It may be different if you live in OK or TX when those hot, humid dog days of summer have you sweating profusely.

They have an extremely high purchase price and are basically a do-it-yourself project for YOU to finish on most guns. Check the final price for puchesing and having them installed by the makers. Those two small pieces of wood cost fully one third the market price of many popular guns.

In reading through an earlier post about what tools champions use many said they use gunfighter grips. As a woman my hands are large for a woman but I would say medium or a little smaller as compared to a man. I have the SASS Ruger Vaqueros which I love but I am wondering if gunfighter grips might make them even better. I would like to hear from those who like them and those who don't and why they feel the way they do about them. Also, any advice as to smooth, checkered, particular makers, etc. would be nice to hear. Unfortunately I know that buying what the champions use won't make me a champion but maybe they will make me feel like one.

Depends on your hand size and strength, as well as the gun frame geometry and a host of variables . . Sorta like shoes and walking . . .

I've tried them from Eagle grips - who I like very much for quality and style, and I'm going back to original style more and more.

My hand size is such that I wear a man's glove in size 10.5 or so - but fingers are a bit long so I get a lot of wrap around a grip.

I tried the gunfighter grips and found them a mite too skinny, same as I find for those who put slim profile grips on the 1911 pistol.

Too skinny grips can be as bad as too big, since your fingers will bunch up or overlap and restrict your flexibility or range of motion,

sometimes enough to make you miss targets or roughen up your gun transitions. Fit is critical, too small or too big is not good . . .

My Colts have original profile grips on them now, and my Rugers are going to have Colt profile grips on them shortly - having grips made by

Chris at Chisel and Plane, in walnut, because I want some real pretty wood on my two more of my Rugers.

I prefer a smooth grip, but even on hot sweaty days I tend to have a fairly strong grip on a pistol, so I have no issues with slipping

and needing checkering to hold the gun, rather I like it smooth so if it has to move around a bit in recoil it does, it's not leaving

my grip. Some folks like checkering, I find it irritating on a SAA, but I really like it on my semiautomatic pistols.

I'd ask someone at the range to let you try a pair of the kind of grips your thinking about getting, they can cost a hundred a gun or so,

and you really don't want to collect boxes of grips that don't really work.

Shadow Catcher

Depends on your hand size and strength, as well as the gun frame geometry and a host of variables . . Sorta like shoes and walking . . .

Shooting style (Duelist/GF) vs "two-handed" is also an important consideration.

I'd ask someone at the range to let you try a pair of the kind of grips your thinking about getting, they can cost a hundred a gun or so,

and you really don't unless you want to collect boxes of grips that don't really work.

Best advice!

BTDT ;)

I shoot original Vaqueros and use gunfighter grips. A buddy of mine, who has been shooting 50th Anniversary Blackhawks using gunfighter grips for a number of years, brought by his new SASS Vaqueros yesterday. We agreed that the grips that come on the SASS Vaqueros feel very similar to gunfighter grips. Both grips are thin and checkered. Why spend money for new gunfighter grips.... that are going to feel like the ones you have? I wouldn't.

If you had original Vaqueros with the larger frame like mine, I'd would recommend the thinner (than factory grips) and checkered gunfighter grips. Since you have the New Vaqueros with the smaller frame, save your money.

That''s my two cents.

B)

I like them cause I get a good grip in any weather and they look nice. There are other wood grips I see around that I like that use various exotic woods, but they are smooth and they cost about $100 (estimate) per gun.

We agreed that the grips that come on the SASS Vaqueros feel very similar to gunfighter grips. Both grips are thin and checkered. Why spend money for new gunfighter grips.... that are going to feel like the ones you have? I wouldn't.

If you had original Vaqueros with the larger frame like mine, I'd would recommend the thinner (than factory grips) and checkered gunfighter grips. Since you have the New Vaqueros with the smaller frame, save your money.

That''s my two cents.

B)

Agree. Same with the New Vaqueros I had.

The wife and I also have GFer Grips on all our guns.

But when I bought those NV's. I did not see any need to change them on those guns.

They felt pretty good like they was.

I have gunfighter grips on all the Rugers my wife and I shoot. They are very similar in size and checkered similar to the new Vaquero, old Blackhawk flat tops, and others. They are much thinner than the stock old model Vaquero and newer Blackhawk grips-which were just too thick and smooth for many shooters.

I wear a men's size large glove and found them to be too small for me. I have two pairs in checkered walnut for Ruger New Vaquero (XR-3 grip frame) in perfect condition that I would be willing to sell for $40.00 per pair plus shipping.

--Ranger Dave

I'm with Buck & Al the new Rugers grips feel like my gunfighters on my Old ones. A little difference in thickness but for the cost! NBC

As mentioned before, I have checkered gunfighter grips on all my guns except the NMV Rugers. The plastic grips that came on them feel almost identical to the gunfighter grips, why change?

Makes a huge difference on the Vaquero. However, the New Vaquero has much thinner grips and there is not that much difference with the GF grips. Wait to you find someone with the GF grips on a New Vaquero and ask them to let you grip them before you invest the money.

I would like to have a set of gunfighter grips for my Cimarron P s

My Ps came from the costom shop,I bought them used, one still had the zip tie on it.

Going in the other direction I found the stock NMV grips too thin for my very long fingers and the Gunfighter II grips have helped some and in checkered rosewood they do look nice but I'm not sure they are cost effective as I think a few shirt cardboard or thin plastic spacers would do the same thing from a comfort standpoint I shoot dualist BTW

Going in the other direction I found the stock NMV grips too thin for my very long fingers and the Gunfighter II grips have helped some and in checkered rosewood they do look nice but I'm not sure they are cost effective as I think a few shirt cardboard or thin plastic spacers would do the same thing from a comfort standpoint I shoot dualist BTW

I'm with you. The grips on my NMV are tiny. I'm thinking about putting some wood ones on to make them bigger. I just can't stand the thought of spending $60 for wood grips (times 2 for both pistols).

I have small girly hands and short fingers, and I shoot duelist with Ruger Bisleys. Gunfighter Grips are practically a necessity.

Tex, the Evil Roy Cimarons were coming with a one piece grip that was a bit thinner and checkered. They were not as pretty as the Gunfighters but felt the same to me when shooting. I do not think you can buy the Uberti made Gunfighter style grips separately though, at least not from VTI.

I shoot original Vaqueros and use gunfighter grips. A buddy of mine, who has been shooting 50th Anniversary Blackhawks using gunfighter grips for a number of years, brought by his new SASS Vaqueros yesterday. We agreed that the grips that come on the SASS Vaqueros feel very similar to gunfighter grips. Both grips are thin and checkered. Why spend money for new gunfighter grips.... that are going to feel like the ones you have? I wouldn't.

That''s my two cents.

B)

Exactly my experience. I have gunfighter grips on my OM Vaqueros because the factory smooth grips were to large for me to consistantly control. The thinner size lets me wrap my pinkie easily and they point more naturally for me. On a set of NMV (not the SASS version) I switched the plastic grips for a pretty pair of thin gunfighter type grips and they are now too small. My hands would wrap around so far that my "point" on drawing the pistol was about 8 inches to the right. I actually put the plastic ones back on as they are just a tiny bit thicker and feel better in the hand, more like the OMV's and my first point is back to the center of the target.

Of course at the end of the day get whatever feels good to you, but a try before you buy could save a lot of $$$.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Me , too , Gateway Kid. Used Eagle gunfighter grips when I was shooting Vaqueros , recently got a set of NMVs , and the factory grips on them are too thin , so I got a set of checkered grips from Altamont grips that fit my hand much better. Very close to the Colts that I have been using the last 5 years.

Keep em smokin , Rex :D

• 6 months later...

Grips are so subjective - this is definitely an area of "whatever floats your boat is right for you".

For my Original Vaqueros, I fist bought a cheap set of standard grips for a Vaquero, and went to work finding a shape that I like and that felt right by shaping them myself with a sanding disk and a dremel tool. Personally I do NOT like grips that flare out at the bottom, gunfighter or otherwise, and I do NOT like birdshead grips. I love the grips on my double action Smith and Taurus Tracker. And on a SAA I like SMOOTH grips. So I came up with my own profile that is a sort of Modified Gunfighter. They are relatively flat on the sides, so they tend to point like a 1911. The way the sides are rounded at the bottom to flow smoothly into the bottom of the grip frame lend a bit of added recoil resistence because that curvature is sitting cupped in the palm of my hand.

Once I had a good profile worked out, then I went ahead and bought more expensive standard grips for a original Vaquero - one set in simulated ivory and another set in fancy walnut, and reshaped those myself. Never mind the inlay in the walnut grips.... that's another discussion for another day.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101870376335211233166/August8201102#

These grips are on my guns and they feel right for me, and I guess that's all that really counts.

Regarding the price that grip makers charge, well, after doing my own reshaping and finishing, I can tell you that a couple hundred bucks is very reasonable for a set of grips made from scratch and hand-fitted to your gun and finished with a nice finish. That takes a LOT of time! Anything beyond that takes even more time. Things like custom sizing, carving, inlays, etc. Chris at Chisel and Plane will size grips to fit YOUR HAND - you send him a tracing of your hand, and his prices for that are VERY reasonable in my opinion. Regarding inlays, well, it took me well over 80 hours to do the relatively simple inlays in my grips in the picture (left and right grip panels) ... simple because the inlay is a simple circle, no complicated shape to have to carve out of the grip for the inlay to fit into.

Is the price worth it? Well, in my opinion, if you're ONLY looking for better accuracy for SASS shooting, NO! Why? Because to hit the barn door sized ultra close targes in SASS you don't even need sights on your gun ... you could hit those targets with a slingshot. But if the looks of your gun is important to you, that's another matter, and each has to weigh the expense. And, if you're like me, and use your SASS guns for other things as well, then accuracy IS important and at longer ranges grips that fit your hand and shooting style can and do make a big difference.

Archived