SASS Wire Forum

TV Dinners

Okiepan

So who remembers those tiny aluminum trays that one would put in the oven an wait about an hour for that delicious TV Dinner , The big thing was when a desert was added.

Guess we are showing our Age .

Which one was your favorite ?

• Like 7

Chicken pieces. Or mystery chunks as I call em!!

Turkey dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy and peas, I think they had some kind of cherry thing for desert.

• Like 1

I remember them well.  They were better than the war surplus crap we so often got in the school cafeteria.  (I still can't eat stewed tomatoes. potato soup, anything made with "processed" eggs, pea soup, or SPAM.)

Don't know that I had a favorite.  Mom always "upgraded" the TV dinners with something she fixed herself.

Clarence Birdseye deserves a monument somewhere for his contribution to easily prepared single serving meals.

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Turkey dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy and peas, I think they had some kind of cherry thing for desert.

This one and the one with the beans and hotdogs, beanie weenie?

Just because I'm prone to at least one masochistic action every few years, I bought a Swanson turkey tv dinner. Not even close to being the same thing. Talk about mystery meat!:o

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I used to love the Fried Chicken, with the apple and cinnamon dessert...hated the artificial mashed potatoes:wacko: 

• Like 3

When my father's trucking business went bankrupt my mother took a job to supplement the family's income and had no time to cook.  My siblings and I ate many TV dinners that were easy to prepare.  I liked the Salisbury Steak (a true mystery meat).  I don't eat TV dinners now but do buy some healthier frozen entries for our travel trailer when on the road for matches.  There are a few that do not have excessive salt.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

My Mother was a religious cook......

Dinner was either a "Bloody sacrafice"

Or a "Burnt Offering"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Right out of high school I worked in a steel mill in the carberizing and case hardening department of heat treat.  One of the furnaces was an "aging" furnace that was a steel mesh belt about 10 feet wide and probably 50 feet long. It moved the treated steel slowly through a 350° temperature.  None of the guys in the department ever ate a cold meal for lunch. We would slide TV Dinners, Pot Pies or whatever they wanted heated back onto the belt about a half hour before lunch. Voila! Hot lunch. Sometimes on midnight shift the millwrights would bring in big pans of food to cook and we would have a feast. They cooked whatever game was in season in addition to things like corn on the cob and even pierogies.

• Like 4

I loved going to the movies in town,  that meant I got to stay at my grandparents house.  Usually it was the Swanson fried chicken dinner.  Great food for a kid. 

BS

Stouffer's has some pretty darn good tv dinners.

https://www.goodnes.com/stouffers/products/?category=18316

image.png.e054f6a9296ca3f29ea52a10dd91ae47.png

Edited by Rye Miles #13621