SASS Wire Forum

The Chicken George SASS Family

Yul Lose

In  early 2017, Chicken George and his 3 boys, D Stroyer (12), Gut C Gunman (10), and Skrap P (7), started trying out CAS with their good friend and seasoned CAS shooter, Will Two-Gun Adams. The boys’ first match was End of Trail, shooting with borrowed guns (45 colts and a 12 g). Later that year they acquired a set of guns and the boys shot the NM state match. Gut C Gunman won his category. Chicken George just supported them and didn’t shoot anything real until Winter Range the following year. Quick Chick joined in late 2018, shooting Bordertown. Sweet K Oss was 7 for her first match, Winter Range 2019. Lil Miss B Haven started with Four Corners Regional 2022, at 6 years old.

They usually just shoot for Regional, National, World and Bordertown. They don’t compete on Sundays so they haven’t been able to shoot at their State championship until last year when they were allowed to shoot through. They all won their category there, except Gut C Gunman, who moved up to Cowboy for that match so Skrap P didn’t have to compete with him.

As a family of seven they love being able to shoot together, but it definitely doesn’t come without a lot of challenges. They all share guns, mostly three shooters per gun(s). To save costs, they made their own shotgun belts, and they work together to cast and coat all their bullets. Then Skrap P sizes them, D Stroyer loads the pistol and rifle ammo, Gut C Gunman loads the shotgun shells, and Chicken George thoroughly checks everything. Just loading ammo for a major match takes several weeks. At this last EOT, they took over 8000 rounds for 3 Wild Bunch shooters, warm up, speed events and the main match. When Skrap P and Sweet K Oss made it to the Wild Bunch Top Gun Shoot-off, they actually had to borrow ammo because they didn’t have enough.

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_4827.jpeg

IMG_4825.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4828.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

More great family pictures! Thanks

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Lil Miss B Haven is 8 and started shooting CAS at 6 years old. She recently had to change her alias by adding the “Lil” due to a mix-up at the SASS office. She is ambidextrous and shoots her left pistol with her left hand and right pistol with her right hand. She enjoys dressing up with her sister and entering the costume contests. She won her category at State this last year and impressed everyone at the Lollipop shoot. She was a crack shot with her Widder Henry 22 and ended up second out of all the ladies.

IMG_4830.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

IMG_4831.jpeg

IMG_4832.jpeg

IMG_4833.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Sweet K Oss is 12 and started shooting CAS at age 7. She loves shooting and dressing up as a cowgirl. She enjoys the cowboy match and has won her category at State once (as a Junior Girl), Regionals 3 times, and World once. She placed in the Ladies top 16 at EOT this year. She has also won 4 National speed events. In addition, she recently started shooting Wild Bunch.  At EOT this year, she placed 2nd in the Junior Wild Bunch category (after Skrap P) and ended up 3rd in the Ladies WB top gun shoot off. She also won the Ladies Wild Bunch Shotgun speed event. She is excited to put her new world champion buckle on a new belt that Skrap P promised to make her if she won.

IMG_4835.jpeg

IMG_4836.jpeg

IMG_4837.jpeg

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4834.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Skrap P is 14 years old and started shooting CAS at age 7. He really wanted to shoot but his Dad wasn’t sure he was big enough. Will Two-Gun Adams let him try a 97 shotgun with a heavy factory load. It almost knocked him down and the gun almost came completely out of his hands. Everyone was worried about him, but he had the biggest smile on his face and yelled, “I want to do that again”! From then on he has never turned down an opportunity to shoot with any gun. He would shoot all day everyday if he could. A week before Land Run this last year, he cut his left thumb almost completely off. In the emergency room, the main thing on his mind was figuring out how he could still shoot the match. A great surgeon was able to reconnect the tendon and one of the arteries, but told Skrap P that he absolutely couldn’t shoot. He had to skip out on the main match, but he did sneak his sister’s revolvers and holsters and shot the speed duelist event and won. After 3 months of physical therapy, he was allowed to shoot again at this last EOT. He bounced back well and won his category in Wild Bunch, placing 6th overall. He ended up 17th overall in the main match and won 4 speed events. It’s always been tough, usually competing in the same category as his brother, but he usually places well overall. He has been 3rd overall at Bordertown twice and 4th overall at Regionals, all as a buckaroo. He has won his category at State once, Regionals twice, and World with Wild Bunch. He has won 4 National speed events, 8 World speed events, and currently holds the Duelist and Gunfighter world record.

IMG_4844.jpeg

IMG_4845.jpeg

IMG_4846.jpeg

IMG_4847.jpeg

IMG_4848.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Miss B Haven is 8 and started shooting CAS at 6 years old. She recently had to change her alias by adding the “Lil” due to a mix-up at the SASS office. She is ambidextrous and shoots her left pistol with her left hand and right pistol with her right hand. She enjoys dressing up with her sister and entering the costume contests. She won her category at State this last year and impressed everyone at the Lollipop shoot. She was a crack shot with her Widder Henry 22 and ended up second out of all the ladies.

IMG_4830.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

IMG_4831.jpeg

IMG_4832.jpeg

IMG_4833.jpeg

Oh, those kids are just adorable!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Gut C Gunman is 17 years old and started shooting CAS right after he turned 10. He has usually been able to beat out his two brothers. He quickly became well known for his 97 shotgun speed. Shortly after turning 12, he won the Men’s Pump Shotgun Speed event at Winter Range. He really enjoys the speed events, especially when they allow multiple attempts. He has won speed events at Nationals 10 times and at World 7 times. He has won his category once at State and 3 times each for Regionals, Nationals, and World. He also currently holds a Pistol world record and 3 Shotgun world records. He was also the overall winner at Bordertown this last year.

IMG_4839.jpeg

IMG_4840.jpeg

IMG_4841.jpeg

IMG_4842.jpeg

IMG_4843.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Oh, those kids are just adorable!

You should meet them in real life, they really make an impression.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

You should meet them in real life, they really make an impression.

I'll bet!

• Like 3

D Stroyer is 19 years old and started shooting CAS at age 12. He likes to shoot a variety of guns and events. In addition to the cowboy main match, he also enjoys shooting Wild Bunch, Long Range, and when he can, Cowboy Clays. He is a people person and really loves the social aspect of CAS, seeing old friends and making new ones. He currently shoots in the Duelist category. He has won his category for State once, Regionals 3 times, Nationals twice, and World once.

IMG_4849.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg

IMG_4852.jpeg

IMG_4853.jpeg

IMG_4854.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Quick Chick works so hard keeping everything going for everyone - it’s a wonder that she is able to find time to shoot at all. She has done a lot of shooting and hunting her entire life so it wasn’t hard to transition to CAS. She shoots in the Lady Duelist category, which is a great match for her long fingers/thumbs (all the kids inherited them too). She has won her category for State once, Regionals 3 times (once in Gunfighter shooting Double Duelist), nationals once, and World twice. She has won the speed events at Nationals 5 times, and World 4 times, mostly for Pump Shotgun, Duelist, and Gunfighter (shooting Double Duelist).

Chicken George doesn’t get enough credit. He provides for the family in so many ways. He’s the one that makes the actual shooting part possible for the entire family! He’s the fix-it and do-it-all guy. The one who continually encourages and supports the family. He spends so much time working on, fixing, and cleaning all the guns. He spends countless hours checking ammo, one by one, for any imperfection that could possibly cause a problem. He’s the one that holds everything together at a match. If a problem arises, he’s the first one there to help out. He has a lot of weight on his shoulders, and yet, somehow, he still manages to shoot amazingly well. He almost always shoots a clean match and just won the Wild Bunch pistol speed event at EOT. Without Chicken George, none of this would be possible

IMG_1651.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

YUL,

Thanks for posting this well deserved recognition to the Family of Chicken George.

And yes, they are planning to be at the TN State this summer and I have requested to be on a Posse with them.

I'm excited and looking forward to hanging out with them for a few days.

Obviously, the side match speed SG event will be a spectators delight watching Gut C. and Skrap P run them 97's wild.

Wishing them all the best.

..........Widder

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My wife and I ran the lollipop side match at the state match this year and got to see Miss B Haven shoot.  She did so well that we placed her with the adult women where she placed 2nd.  We look forward to this family at this year's state match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for sharing their story.  This is one incredible family, both in shooting and in faith.  My family has had the pleasure of watching their children and parents progress and they are remarkable.  It is such a pleasure to enjoy their friendship !!!!  Hope to shoot with them soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Terrific reading about this family. 

You ought to meet them in person some time, even better visiting with them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

You ought to meet them in person some time, even better visiting with them.

Its on our bucket list Yul, it would be the most amazing experience to travel and shoot at some clubs in the U.S and visit some small town "Western" museums.

• Like 2

We shot with their family at Edgewood EOT when Sweet K Oss shot her first big match, Miss B Haven was a baby in a stroller. We were on Half A Hand Henry's posse. After we finished the last stage the kids shot some of our BP guns.

It was a real treat watching them. We also shot at the 4 corners regional when Miss B Haven shot her first big match. I have a video of her shooting one of the stages clean. They are a great family and a real treat to shoot with.

kR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am looking forward to meeting them at the TN State, I understand they may be invading our Campground for the week. Should get to know them pretty well around the campfire.

• Like 4

Great family! We sure enjoyed having them at the NM State Championship match last year, even if D. Stroyer DID soundly thrash me in the Duelist category.

• Haha 1

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this family! I sponsored the Junior Wild Bunch Shooters at EOT and Skrap P and Sweet K Oss stopped by the tent to Thank me!! I’m just glad none of them have found the fun of Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter! :PIMG_0523.thumb.jpeg.d2068509b77a94c86436a8d41ae1c76f.jpeg

Thank you @Chicken George and the whole family for being such a big part of the game! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 11

I absolutely love this family!!  We have watched all five kids grow up, constantly helping each other out, and becoming incredible shooters.  You should have seen the look of determination on Lil Miss B Haven's face when I asked her if she was going to be beating her brothers in upcoming matches!  Quick Chick and Chicken George are raising a wonderful young family, steeped in faith and hard work.  It is always a joy to see them walking towards me with big smiles on their faces.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

The Chicken George Family Waterbrushed.

Waterbrush-2024-03-10-20-11-31.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

We need to get a Chicken George/Captain Bill Burt joint family picture at Tennessee State!

We can make that happen.  My dad, Wild Phil Hickok, has done a lot of professional photography. I'll have him bring his nice camera for the photo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1