SASS Wire Forum

Double Duelist and Single Duelist

Quiet Burp

Just wondering why Double Duelist and Single Duelist are lumped together in competition.

Shooting one pistol with your left hand and one with your right hand compared to shooting both pistols with your dominant hand is a very different animal.

3 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Just wondering why Double Duelist and Single Duelist are lumped together in competition.

Shooting one pistol with your left hand and one with your right hand compared to shooting both pistols with your dominant hand is a very different animal.

There are already WAAAAAY too many categories - there is no reason to further dilute competition by more separation.

Duelist is ONE loaded pistol out of holster at a time, shot unsupported.

IF someone believes that using both hands is of "significant" benefit - then they should become proficient at doing so.

I offer that Duelist offers many opportunities for transition and gear set up - some favor using the dominant single hand; some favor using both hands.

A dominant hand Duelist using a crossdraw rig that is well practiced in offhand holstering is not at a sizable handicap to any other Duelist.

I was a two handed Duelist and fairly good at it - but still often beaten by superior dominant hand only Duelists.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Because when your shooting Double Duelist, you are so close to shooting Gunfighter, you may as well just make the leap.

Unfortunately I have too many miles on the old grey matter now to shoot Gunfighter. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

OK but seriously wouldn't this have been a very obvious and very justifiable category? 

Why?

One hand - one pistol.

There is no need to overcomplicate it.

Again, no matter what given category or equipment - they need to find methods that best work to their benefit.

IF you shoot a 97; you probably need to learn to pull four shells.

IF you shoot Gunfighter; you probably need to learn to holster blind.

And IF you choose to shoot Duelist - you need to figure what works best for you.  Whether transition improvements or use of crossdraw rigs - every choice will have pros and cons.

But at the end of the stage - it is one pistol; one hand.

That's Duelist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Why?

One hand - one pistol.

There is no need to overcomplicate it.

Again, no matter what given category or equipment - they need to find methods that best work to their benefit.

IF you shoot a 97; you probably need to learn to pull four shells.

IF you shoot Gunfighter; you probably need to learn to holster blind.

And IF you choose to shoot Duelist - you need to figure what works best for you.  Whether transition improvements or use of crossdraw rigs - every choice will have pros and cons.

But at the end of the stage - it is one pistol; one hand.

That's Duelist.

Well to me shooting one pistol with your left hand and one with your right hand compared to shooting both pistols with your dominant hand is a very different animal, YMMV.

40 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Well to me shooting one pistol with your left hand and one with your right hand compared to shooting both pistols with your dominant hand is a very different animal, YMMV.

Again; why?

Categories ONLY exist to provide a semi level playing field and "protection" against obviously superior methodologies.

When comparing dominant hand vs the use of both hands as it applies to Duelist - What "unfairness" (or need for protection) is present?  

It is one hand - one pistol.

Should there be different categories for differing rifles? 

Differing shotguns?

Left handers vs right handers?

I ask this as someone who shot Duelist for a number of years - who set matches for a number of years.

I never saw any advantage within the Duelist category (one hand vs. two) that could not be overcome by method, gear choice and practice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I shoot Double Duelist all the time. Sometimes my week hand throws a bullet way over there but most of the time it shoots where I’m looking. The strong hand flubs once in a while also. Practice, practice until that doesn’t happen. Double Duelist should be more versatile than single when you think of all the different scenarios and transitions. And practice some more.

• Like 2

Looking at some of the TOP shooters in every category, their methods of shooting within their chosen category, their

preferred rifle, preferred SG, etc........ I ain't so sure any particular combination of anything has a big advantage over

any other combination.    Those TOP shooters in every category have one thing in common..... PRACTICE.

Even in the GF category, you have double cockers and alternating cockers.  You have those who consistently

'cross over' and those who can do a 'lead change' proficiently.   But neither type has an advantage over the other

assuming the TOP GFer's practice.

Even some of the best Double Duelist will have a 'strong hand' and is basically shooting one of their pistols slightly

slower in the weak hand than when using the strong hand.    Therefore, the Duelist shooting both pistols with their

strong hand is shooting both pistols faster in the actual manipulation of those pistols.

For a DD to become faster than a regular Duelist.............they have to practice, practice, practice their techniques,

transitions, etc......

A shooter can become a very impressive competitor in our game whether Duelist or Double Duelist.   But again,

practice is gonna have to become a good, daily exercise.

Best regards.

..........Widder

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Even some of the best Double Duelist will have a 'strong hand' and is basically shooting one of their pistols slightly

slower in the weak hand than when using the strong hand.    Therefore, the Duelist shooting both pistols with their

strong hand is shooting both pistols faster in the actual manipulation of those pistols.

For a DD to become faster than a regular Duelist.............they have to practice, practice, practice their techniques,

transitions, etc......

Best regards.

..........Widder

The above is exactly why I wonder why it was never different categories. 

16 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

The above is exactly why I wonder why it was never different categories. 

Actually, my comment is why they are not different categories.    I guess it depends on what side of the barn

you hang your tobacco.

..........Widder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Unfortunately I have too many miles on the old grey matter now to shoot Gunfighter. 

Nah, never too old to play in the best category; come on join us. Nothing to think about really shoot the exact same way you shoot your rifle.

Might as well go for BP Gunfighter while your at it; it’s a blast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

With comparable practice there is no appreciable difference between the two. I choose to shoot double duelist because I like the available transitions. Tennessee Williams is one of the top double duelists and Doc Roy L Pain is the best single duelist I’ve ever seen. It boils down to what works best for you. With the exception of Doc Roy L Pain I usually see more double duelists at the top of the Duelist Categories.

Randy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

There are some clubs that have them split up still in some of their annuals.

My take on it is this regarding pistols in my opinion: With a good double duelist, it's hard to tell when they change pistols unless you're counting shots. You can tell with a single duelist. Most people aren't ambidextrous, so they may not be as accurate with their offhand revolver. This would favor a single duelist if they were clean only because of using the strong hand both pistols, and a double duelist was prone to missing offhand. The pistol transition of the double duelist wouldn't make up the 5 second miss they had.

I tend to say transitions favor more heavily the double duelist. Those transitions better be hellagood to beat Doc's pistol, Rifle, and sg speed though! Then again, most single duelists are not Doc. Amadeuleist comes to mind too.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

There are some clubs that have them split up still in some of their annuals.

My take on it is this regarding pistols in my opinion: With a good double duelist, it's hard to tell when they change pistols unless you're counting shots. You can tell with a single duelist. Most people aren't ambidextrous, so they may not be as accurate with their offhand revolver. This would favor a single duelist if they were clean only because of using the strong hand both pistols, and a double duelist was prone to missing offhand. The pistol transition of the double duelist wouldn't make up the 5 second miss they had.

I tend to say transitions favor more heavily the double duelist. Those transitions better be hellagood to beat Doc's pistol, Rifle, and sg speed though! Then again, most single duelists are not Doc. Amadeuleist comes to mind too.  

Enjoyed your take on the subject and reading your post, thank you. Now if I could just shoot like you I'd be a happy camper TW. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Quiet Burp said:

Enjoyed your take on the subject and reading your post, thank you. Now if I could just shoot like you I'd be a happy camper TW. 

Thanks for the kind words. I've got some recouperarating to do right now. I'm relegated to stage writing and making fun of Widder! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

OK but seriously wouldn't this have been a very obvious and very justifiable category? 

No not all! As was said by someone above, a double duelist if they're right handed slows down a bit and isn't as accurate with his left hand. A regular duelist is shooting strong hand, yea theres maybe a second difference when reholstering but that can be made up with accuracy from a single duelist. I use a cross draw and I grab the gun I just shot with my weak hand and holster it while I'm drawing my strong side. I don't see much difference at all. Certainly not enough for another category! Puhleeeaase we're at the awards long enough as it is!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 3

I just don’t see the problem here. If you want to shoot a revolver in each hand you have to use each hand. All the time. Practice, practice to develop the muscle memory and the proficiency will come. No matter which shooting style you choose, practice is the key to being accurate, smooth and fast. Please don’t create another category.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No not all! As was said by someone above, a double duelist if they're right handed slows down a bit and isn't as accurate with his left hand. A regular duelist is shooting strong hand, yea theres maybe a second difference when reholstering but that can be made up with accuracy from a single duelist. I use a cross draw and I grab the gun I just shot with my weak hand and holster it while I'm drawing my strong side. I don't see much difference at all. Certainly not enough for another category! Puhleeeaase we're at the awards long enough as it is!

Awards!

What are these Awards you speak of?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

a double duelist if they're right handed slows down a bit and isn't as accurate with his left hand. A regular duelist is shooting strong hand

Hey....you agree with me !!!!  :) 

• Like 1

Transitions even out the duelist vs Double Duelist  styles IMHO

Edited by Texas Jack Black
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Hey....you agree with me !!!!  :) 

Yes I actually stole that from you!:blush:

On 2/12/2024 at 8:09 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Remember what he (Widder) said, practice, practice, practice. :P

What he said aint as good as you think it is. He misspelled the word cheat. Hell, it ain't even got a P in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

TW's definition of Practice means he's getting more familiar with his firearms.

BUT, if someone else Practices, he thinks they are cheating.  He's just too cheap to buy ammo.

If he ever owes you any money, don't let him pay you with 'the check is in the mail'.

:o

..........Widder

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Really glad it is just one category.

Good grief the last thing we need is another one.

I shoot DD. Mostly because I really like the transition part of shooting that way.

However, I have from time to time went with just my right hand (small far targets)

I am faster with my left. BUT. Much more accurate with my right. 

And if you think you can't be fast with just your strong hand. 

You haven't got you hind end kicked by Doc Roy L Pain yet.

• Like 6

There was a guy who used to shoot Silver Senior Double Duelist at a couple different local shoots that accept anything! He was always the only one! Surprise he was always FIRST!:P

• Like 1