SASS Wire Forum

Taurus came out with another SA, called the Deputy

13 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Comes in .357 & .45, 4.75 or 5.5 inch barrels in “black”. Just saw on their newly renovated website after receiving an email. No .44 mag this time. 

Nice to see another manufacturer making affordable pistols for the game.  Hopefully that will help us get more folks to play.

Link if you're interested in checking them out: https://www.taurususa.com/?view=category&id=67

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, The Surgeon said:

Could be a nice alternative to a Ruger if its as reliable. 

I would think it is as good if not better than the Gaucho they had a long time ago. Limited Lifetime Warranty, with CNC machined parts should be smooth enough for most, but I am sure there will be those who will want to modify them and we will hear more then. But at $606, they are priced comparably. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

So AS listed DA/SA interesting

If it's DA then it's a no go for SASS matches.

Kajun

The actual description lists it as single action... that abbreviation is probably just web-geek oversight... But, it's still a transfer bar action... I doubt it will be a front runner out of the box.  

i have one of the older ones in brushed stainless that was slicked up when i got it , its a great revolver , i might be a candidate to try one of these , wish they offered it in brushed stainless but ill think on a black one a bit , 

A good affordable single action for people getting into the game for the first time. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

If it's DA then it's a no go for SASS matches.

Kajun

It says DA/SA so I was wondering why all the excitement 

2 hours ago, Griff said:

The actual description lists it as single action... that abbreviation is probably just web-geek oversight... But, it's still a transfer bar action... I doubt it will be a front runner out of the box.  

Time will tell .It does say DA/SA 

I have a couple of Gauchos. They have proven tough and reliable. There was almost no support as Beretta bought them then killed the Gaucho since it was a direct competitor to their poor performing Stampede.  If the Deputy is equal to or better than the Gaucho, I would consider buying.

Imis

I have just compared one of the Gauchos to the pictures of the Deputy, they appear identical except for markings. No way to know if they are identical internally.

Edited by Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646

I believe the manual is including all the revolvers Taurus makes.  The Deputy is a single action only. And while I am not enamored by the “black” finish, if it came in .44 magnum, I would get one. It would go will with the Rossi 92’s. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I believe the manual is including all the revolvers Taurus makes.  The Deputy is a single action only. And while I am not enamored by the “black” finish, if it came in .44 magnum, I would get one. It would go will with the Rossi 92’s. 

Pretty sure if a true clone of the SAA as far as frame size goes there would be no way to fit a cylinder beefy enough to withstand 44 mag pressures.  Pretty much the reason ruger super blackhawks and OMVs are so big.

i keep looking at this thread and thinking i need to talk to my gun guy to see if he can find one for me , i dont need another but i want one to make my set of one old and one new complete , i looked a few years ago but could not find an older version for sale at the time 

I played with the prototype that they had at the big rock trades show.  Injection molded Hammer that I have serious concerns about holding up. Also the grips are a definite no go. But that's an easy swap.   They haven't done any serious testing as of January on longevity.   We have a couple coming that we are going to do a first shot, and 5000 rd review on. 

They also have what looked like a steoger clone coach gun coming out as well. It's lighter and needs some love from springs and action work but might be a good entry level shotgun

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 4:47 PM, Texas Jack Black said:

So AS listed DA/SA interesting

That would be the shortest trigger pull on a DA revolver that I've ever seen. ;)

I have to suspect that it is SA only.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

What was the issue with the grips? 

Paper thin plastic. You could get it to flex in the frame by squeezing with two fingers.

• Confused 1

Fool me once; shame on you.  Fool me twice; shame on me.  I purchased a 24/7 OSS/DS, MSRP about $625, it was recalled and they offered a G2C, (MSRP about $249) in exchange.  Failure to accept their offer voided the forever warranty.   No refunds even with a receipt.  Now why would I feel like I've been screwed?   The only thing worse than their product, is their willingness to stand behind them.  They unsold me!

20 hours ago, Palmetto Traveller said:

It's interesting the specs say it comes in a "black" finish yet the pics clearly show a stainless steel firearm.

No.  Polished blue, which reflects light enough to be visually tricky.

9 hours ago, Frank Moon said:

Fool me once; shame on you.  Fool me twice; shame on me.  I purchased a 24/7 OSS/DS, MSRP about $625, it was recalled and they offered a G2C, (MSRP about $249) in exchange.  Failure to accept their offer voided the forever warranty.   No refunds even with a receipt.  Now why would I feel like I've been screwed?   The only thing worse than their product, is their willingness to stand behind them.  They unsold me!

ok , that concerns me enough to put a hold on my request , ill wait and see what those that buy say of it before i proceed any further - as i said , i dont need this at all , actually it would become an excuse to buy another to balance out my sets - not all bad , but truly unnecessary in the big scheme of things at this point in life , 

Shoot I just realized I screwed up. I didn't play with the Taurus but heritage. I'm sorry fellas 

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 7:36 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I have a couple of Gauchos. They have proven tough and reliable. There was almost no support as Beretta bought them then killed the Gaucho since it was a direct competitor to their poor performing Stampede.  If the Deputy is equal to or better than the Gaucho, I would consider buying.

Imis

I have just compared one of the Gauchos to the pictures of the Deputy, they appear identical except for markings. No way to know if they are identical internally.

in rereading i caught your approval of the originals , i too found that mine was tough as nails and i shot it a lot for a long time - till i bought my rugers , it stood up really well and i abused it , it still looks great and shoots great , it is the backup that i have always carried for my pair of rugers , i will continue to do it , 

i also have a berretta stampede , its in 38/357 so not in the same kit as my gaucho that is 45colt , but its also the backup revolver to my main set , i have not had an issue with this either but its not gotten the use/abuse my others have 

im still in the market for one of these new ones i think , at this point in life why not ? i can always sell it if i dont like it or just pass it down with the rest when im gone , i think ill make a call to my LGG tomorrow to see if he can get me one , 

• Like 2