SASS Wire Forum

New Gun Laws starting January 1st in California

A judge has put a stay on the "sensitive places" portion of that law, and the rest is being contested in court.

Of course, Newsom and Bonta are appealing the stay.  It will go to the 9th, the 3 judge panel will uphold the stay, Bonta will ask for an en banc, which will be granted, and that hand picked "random" 11 judge panel will side with the State.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A judge has put a stay on the "sensitive places" portion of that law, and the rest is being contested in court.

Of course, Newsom and Bonta are appealing the stay.  It will go to the 9th, the 3 judge panel will uphold the stay, Bonta will ask for an en banc, which will be granted, and that hand picked "random" 11 judge panel will side with the State.

That's in the play book.  <_<

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That's in the play book.  <_<

In a case a few years ago SILVEIRA v. LOCKYER 5983:
9th Circuit Judge Kozinski’s masterful dissenting opinion.  http://gunsonthestreets.com/wp/2012/05/silveira-v-lockyer-judge-kozinskis-dissenting-opinion/  In part:

“My excellent colleagues have forgotten these bitter lessons of history. The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do. But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Fortunately, the Framers were wise enough to entrench the right of the people to keep and bear arms within our constitutional structure. The purpose and importance of that right was still fresh in their minds, and they spelled it out clearly so it would not be forgotten. Despite the panel’s mighty struggle to erase these words, they remain, and the people themselves can read what they say plainly enough:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The sheer ponderousness of the panel’s opinion—the mountain of verbiage it must deploy to explain away these fourteen short words of constitutional text—refutes its thesis far more convincingly than anything I might say. The panel’s labored effort to smother the Second Amendment by sheer body weight has all the grace of a sumo wrestler trying to kill a rattlesnake by sitting on it—and is just as likely to succeed.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

**** California!I just spent a week there. If it wasn’t for family I would never set foot there again. 

Sorry @Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 but that’s how I feel. 

Now, if they could just chop the state in 2 or 3 pieces…

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Absolutely nothin' to be sorry about, Pat.  :(

We just miss ya!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

You could make a good case for 6 states.  It would take grouping some of the geomorphic provinces together, but it would work dividing CA along those lines.  If you think about it, those are areas with similar economic interests. Klamath and Cascades into one state.  Modoc, the upper parts of the Basin and Range into another.  Coast, Great Valley, and Sierra each into their own states, lower part of the Basin and Range, Mojave, and Colorado Desert into one, unless you wanted to put the lower Basin and Range into the same state.  Transverse and Peninsular Ranges into one state along with the Channel Islands.  

image.thumb.png.6bfa92347eafca8976daf9d792df3a4d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

9th Circuit Judge Kozinski’s masterful dissenting opinion.  http://gunsonthestreets.com/wp/2012/05/silveira-v-lockyer-judge-kozinskis-dissenting-opinion/  In part:

“My excellent colleagues have forgotten these bitter lessons of history. The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do. But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Fortunately, the Framers were wise enough to entrench the right of the people to keep and bear arms within our constitutional structure. The purpose and importance of that right was still fresh in their minds, and they spelled it out clearly so it would not be forgotten. Despite the panel’s mighty struggle to erase these words, they remain, and the people themselves can read what they say plainly enough:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The sheer ponderousness of the panel’s opinion—the mountain of verbiage it must deploy to explain away these fourteen short words of constitutional text—refutes its thesis far more convincingly than anything I might say. The panel’s labored effort to smother the Second Amendment by sheer body weight has all the grace of a sumo wrestler trying to kill a rattlesnake by sitting on it—and is just as likely to succeed.”

Judge Kozinski hit the nail on the head. 

Regarding the Nazis and their rise to power watch the series “Hitler’s Inner Circle”. History repeats itself. It just takes longer in California. The frogs are nearer to boiling every passing month. 

• Like 2

On 12/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

You're on track, Joe....

Sad report on the eleven o'clock news tonight:  :(  :angry:

SAN DIEGO– Just weeks after a judge temporarily blocked a state law that bans Californians from carrying guns in most public spaces, late Saturday [today, 12/30/2023], a federal appeals court reversed that decision, allowing the law to go into effect in the new year, at least for now.

Link

The Real Problem with Kalifornia is once someone gets out and had enough of the BS of Kalifornia. 

They keep voting the same way !:wacko:

And they  Contaminat the rest of the Free America unitl it becomes the same way :blink:

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

The Real Problem with Kalifornia is once someone gets out and had enough of the BS of Kalifornia. 

And they  Contaminat the rest of the Free America unitl it becomes the same way :blink:

That is so off base it's downright insulting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

CA split into six new states would no doubt give the Democrats even more seats in Congress.

The State of Jefferson has been talked about since the time before WW2, which brought dialog to a halt.
Jefferson would be only a few miles up the road from us (Placer County), and would be a splendid place to relocate.
I will be long dead from old age before that comes to pass... if ever.  Pity.

Yes, there are other places to live.
I keep a spread sheet that currently has 343 cities in it.
I have it filtered by weather, politics, crime, taxes, air/water quality, race, population, gun-friendly, Masonic lodges and medical care.

For example, Detroit has attractive housing costs, but is a cesspool otherwise.

Filtering this down produces very few viable places I want to live.

It is tough moving into a new area without friends or family on the receiving end.
One doesn't know the "good" or "bad" parts of town, nor the lay of the land.
Relocating turns one's entire life upside down, and means starting over.
I'm too old for that.

Edited by bgavin
edited for typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

CA split into six new states would no doubt give the Democrats even more seats in Congress.

It would dilute the power of San Francisco and Los Angeles in the Senate.  Looking at how CA voted by county 4 of the states created would likely elect 2 conservative senators each.  At worst it would be a wash in the House.  And, more important, it would greatly shift the number of Electors in the College.  

• Like 3

It's all speculation at this point, and very unlikely to occur.
I'm a pessimist when it comes to CA politics, and always expect the worse.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, Tall Tale Todd said:

I didn’t vote for that.

The people voting for the lunacy are people who came here from other states thinking the grass was greener or hand-outs were better here.  But nobody is allowed to water the grass any more -- or buy a gasoline chain saw or pressure washer or lawn mower --or burn a wood stove or ........ 

The restrictions and rising taxes are chasing even the long-time California natives away.  The more of us conservatives that leave just increases the likelihood of more lunacy and lunatics being voted in.  It is all coming your way.  Watch out for Newsom!

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

The 3 judge panel from the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, failed to uphold the stay today.

• Like 1

How do you they regulate hi cap mags as there are no serial numbers on them?

In my State here in Australia we are limited to 10 round mags and they have to be not just crimped to stop at 10 rounds but to be legal they have to be 'not easily' converted to hicap mags.

On 12/29/2023 at 2:08 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Wow!  That's a bit chilling to read, given today's current events!  Too many of the above concerns are facing us right now.  You have to wonder-- and fear -- where all of this could end up. 

"Ends Justify Means" seems to have overpowered the written words of the law.  

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 7:41 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

What is wrong with voting Republican?

This is Not what I'm saying .

If you don't understand then maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself some real questions about what America is now and what is should be  .

What do you see that's going to be left for our Grandkids future  !

Just about every problem in this Country Starts in Kalifornia or New Dork !

I'm Proud of the Real Men & Women standing in the fire fight battle taking place in California and New York. 

But in most case the Tree Hugging Left wing Woke LGBT Democ-Rat Anti Gun BS is what is coming out of these states and bleeding into the rest of the Free America and Contaminating every where they go ! 

And you all know that's what was being referred too !

Rooster 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

This is Not what I'm saying .

If you don't understand then maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself some real questions about what America is now and what is should be  .

What do you see that's going to be left for our Grandkids future  !

Just about every problem in this Country Starts in Kalifornia or New Dork !

I'm Proud of the Real Men & Women standing in the fire fight battle taking place in California and New York. 

But in most case the Tree Hugging Left wing Woke LGBT Democ-Rat Anti Gun BS is what is coming out of these states and bleeding into the rest of the Free America and Contaminating every where they go ! 

And you all know that's what was being referred too !

Rooster 

That's exactly what you were saying.  MOST of the people fleeing from California are conservatives who are sick and tired of the political direction this state is going.  You may backpedal, spin, and bloviate all you want, but your statement, and even this spin, is a display of hate for and ignorance of  California.  

Your blanket statement was, basically, that everyone moving out of California is a leftist missionary who won't rest until they covert all the "heathen deplorables."  So, no, I don't "know that's what was being referred too(sic)!"

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You may backpedal, spin, and bloviate all you want, but your statement, and even this spin, is a display of hate for and ignorance of  California.  

Not backpedaling a word I said .

And I ment every word .

I stand for A Free America  ! 

Kalifornia is place  it all  stems from.

14 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Not backpedaling a word I said .

And I ment every word .

I stand for A Free America  ! 

Kalifornia is place  it all  stems from.

And what you said was

On 12/31/2023 at 2:01 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

And they  Contaminat the rest of the Free America unitl it becomes the same way 

So, what you said was, since you didn't qualify it at all, is that everyone leaving California is a Marxist missionary intent on turning all of our republic into a clone of San Francisco.  

So, again, no, we don't "And you all know that's what was being referred too !"

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

And what you said was

So, what you said was, since you didn't qualify it at all, is that everyone leaving Kalifornia is a Marxist missionary intent on turning all of our republic into a clone of San Francisco.  

So, again, no, we don't "And you all know that's what was being referred too !"

Baaà baaaa baaàa .

Sheep always follow and get there feelings hurt !

You stay in Kalifornia and enjoy the cesspool of like minded Sheep

I keep fighting the battle in Free America and do all I can to keep the Sheep at baaa baaa baaay .

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
  • Haha 2

Phoenix is populated with Californians.
Phoenix is heavily Democrat.

30% of the Idaho panhandle voted for Biden.
I doubt those 30% are native Idahoans.

On 12/31/2023 at 4:01 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

You're so far off base, that you are no longer in the ball park. :angry:

We left a sinking ship :excl:

• Thanks 1

Sadly - the Californians leaving California and bringing their ideas with them is FAR more prevalent than any former Californian being a proud conservative trying to escape.

My state continually is over run by former California residents that state California was horrible and then keep trying to implement that same bad policy here.

They say they hate Cali; but then claim, "but if only we could do this or that like we did back home"

The STATE is beautiful - the majority of people and policy is horrendous.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Sadly - the Californians leaving California and bringing their ideas with them is FAR more prevalent than any former Californian being a proud conservative trying to escape.

My state continually is over run by former California residents that state California was horrible and then keep trying to implement that same bad policy here.

They say they hate Cali; but then claim, "but if only we could do this or that like we did back home"

The STATE is beautiful - the majority of people and policy is horrendous.

Garbage.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1