SASS Wire Forum

Question on Magtech Brass 12 gauge Berdan primers

Diamond Curly SASS#57086

I purchased 200 Used Magtech 12 Gauge brass shot shells and have found 8 shells so far that appear to have berdan primers. Any information is appreciated. Thanks, DC

Are the 8 hulls in question actually Magtech?  I seem to recall either Winchester or Remington doing a special run of live 12 gauge full length brass shells.  Those shells came in a special vintage style tin box and they were berdan primed for some reason.  I remember a few forum threads discussing how to convert them to boxer primed, but the general consensus was it was not worth the conversion for easily obtainable calibers/gauges.  

48 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

One primer hole or 2 small holes inside at the bottom of the hull?

2 small primer holes

27 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Are the 8 hulls in question actually Magtech?  I seem to recall either Winchester or Remington doing a special run of live 12 gauge full length brass shells.  Those shells came in a special vintage style tin box and they were berdan primed for some reason.  I remember a few forum threads discussing how to convert them to boxer primed, but the general consensus was it was not worth the conversion for easily obtainable calibers/gauges.  

I am at the range and will double check when I get home to verify. DC

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Yeah, those Remington shells were Ducks Unlimited commemorative ones.  After I fired them, I learned, to great irritation, that they were berdan primed.  I was most vexed.

I am attaching pictures of the MagTech shells. I also have a box of the 50th Annerversary brass shells that are Remington. Thanks for the imput. I was thinking about selling the Ducks Unlimited shells but not sure how to mail them legally. DC

IMG_1529.jpeg

IMG_1527.jpeg

IMG_1525.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I am attaching pictures of the MagTech shells. I also have a box of the 50th Annerversary brass shells that are Remington. Thanks for the imput. I was thinking about selling the Ducks Unlimited shells but not sure how to mail them legally. DC

With request for  forgiveness from the mods as to any off-site linking rules:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/primed-brass-shipped-via-fedex-or-ups.3088736/

Has some good info, and frames the included UPS regulations linked in that thread. You should be able to send primed cases UPS ground, but have to take the shipment (in a brand new box with certain strength, properly labeled, ground shipment only) to a main shipping center (not your neighborhood UPS store).

Might be better to sell with a local meetup in your sheriff department parking lot.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

With request for  forgiveness from the mods as to any off-site linking rules:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/primed-brass-shipped-via-fedex-or-ups.3088736/

Has some good info, and frames the included UPS regulations linked in that thread. You should be able to send primed cases UPS ground, but have to take the shipment (in a brand new box with certain strength, properly labeled, ground shipment only) to a main shipping center (not your neighborhood UPS store).

Might be better to sell with a local meetup in your sheriff department parking lot.

Thanks, DC

Can’t the primer pocket in the berdan primed cases be modified to accept boxer primers??

55 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

Berdan primers are larger in diameter than Boxer primers.

Thanks.

As I understand it, depriming is the issue with Berdan primers because of the blockage created by the barred primer pocket.

Can the pocket be modified to allow normal depriming die to be used?

The primers ARE available.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Thanks.

As I understand it, depriming is the issue with Berdan primers because of the blockage created by the barred primer pocket.

Can the pocket be modified to allow normal depriming die to be used?

The primers ARE available.

You can reload Berdan primed shells. If you can find the primers. There is a “claw” type extractor tool that removes the primer by hooking it from the outside and prying it out. I haven’t seen one in years and personally have never used one. I don’t know of an easy way to convert the Berdan pocket to accept Boxer primers. The Berdan pocket is larger in diameter than a Boxer primer. 
If the case head is thick enough you might be able to drill the pocket out to accept a 209 primer. Never tried it myself.

Thanks for all the replies. The pard I purchased the shells from must have had access to the primers and a tool because all the shells were reloaded. Unfortunately he passed away in 2021 and I was not able to locate a tool he may have used to reload them. After reading the replies I just can’t figure why anyone would want to purchase the Brendan primed cases and even try to reload them. I have not found any more so that sounds good for me. Why did Magtech even offer them is what does not make sense to me. I think I will just clean them up and present them as pen holders to other pards. Thanks again, DC

I have several boxes of the DU shells.  I searched once and found some instructions on how to decap using hydraulic pressure.  

DC,

when the  CBC brass s/g shells first came out a loooong time ago, I bought about 3 boxes . Berdan primers weren't hard to find. Then,,,,,,, they were. I had enough to last until just about the time they started making them for 209 s/g primers. A cowboy found a way to get around it. I don't remember the size, but he got a drill bit that was the same size as  209 s/g primer and after he deprimed, (liquid) he drilled the pocket out , used another drill to drill a center hole. I don't remember how he held it. But you said there were only 8 shells that were berdan primed, I wouldn't worry about it. There used to be a berdan primer remover, but I don't know where you'd find one now.

Have fun, YMMV,

Isom

1 hour ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

DC,

when the  CBC brass s/g shells first came out a loooong time ago, I bought about 3 boxes . Berdan primers weren't hard to find. Then,,,,,,, they were. I had enough to last until just about the time they started making them for 209 s/g primers. A cowboy found a way to get around it. I don't remember the size, but he got a drill bit that was the same size as  209 s/g primer and after he deprimed, (liquid) he drilled the pocket out , used another drill to drill a center hole. I don't remember how he held it. But you said there were only 8 shells that were berdan primed, I wouldn't worry about it. There used to be a berdan primer remover, but I don't know where you'd find one now.

Have fun, YMMV,

Isom

I agree not sure worth all the work for only eight shells. I broke two priming pins on my RCBS cowboy die before I caught the difference. It is fun to learn new things for sure. DC

RCBS lists a Berdan decaping tool in their catalog for approx $90.  It is not in stock.  All the listings for them on the internet say out of stock.  For 8 cases use the hydraulic method.

57 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I know someone who, drilled out the holes.

He has been using them for years. No problems.

What primer did he drill them for??

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I see no reason to convert to 209 but there are security YouTube videos covering this.

I reckon it’ll work, but that particular level of craftsmanship is a little crude for my taste! <_< 

I’d seen this one before. I have enough brass shells that will take a 209 primer that I really don’t HAVE to do this procedure in order to shoot smokeless powder once in a while.

I also have several hundred 57 and 157 primers that I could use before drilling my shells out that far.  Those antique primers are smaller in diameter. One could use those until they ran out and THEN drill the cases on out to use 209s.

I wonder if, in place of the 10ga wad base that he cut off, an 11ga over powder card would work to raise the powder level. It wouldn’t burn up shooting smokeless and it wouldn’t melt using Black Powder.

Lots of possibilities. A few more questions.

2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I don't know why people think you can't shoot smokeless in the Magtechs with no modifications.   I've been doing it for years with no problems.

Not concerned with shooting smokeless as much as I am getting away from using large pistol primers.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Not concerned with shooting smokeless as much as I am getting away from using large pistol primers.

I don't know why.  Once I figured out I had to seat the LP primer to the bottom of the pocket (not necessarily flush), I never had a failure to fire. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I don't know why.  Once I figured out I had to seat the LP primer to the bottom of the pocket (not necessarily flush), I never had a failure to fire. 

I have equipment to deprime and prime the shells using LP primers, but it’s tedious.

If I can prime them on either of my reloading machines, it will be easier and faster to accomplish the task.

Archived