Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

NOT recommended....ever!!!!


Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Recommended Posts

Let's say you have 30 boxes of .45 acp ammo, 50 rounds to the box.

 

Let's say too that you have 10 boxes in each of three steel military ammo boxes.

 

Now let's say that you are moving them from a storage cabinet to a work table becuase you have a trade coming up.

 

Finally let's say you try to move then all at once.

 

See where this is headed?

 

The resulting dropping of one ot the steel boxes fulf of ammo resulted in:

1. every neighbor for a quarter mile learning new words and combinations of words that their mothers almost certainly would not approve of.

2. my little dog being scared out of her wits at Daddy's yelling.

3. a badly smashed left big toe.

4. a quick drive to the ER to et it all checked out.  Nothing was broken...the ONLY bright side to this whole damned episode.

5. not being able to get my left boot back on because of an amazing amount of swelling.  

6. almost everyone in the ER laughing until they got the hiccups.

7. getting home just as the phone rings: the guy who was coming for the trade can't make it until tomorrow.

8. having to cancel a trip to an annual Scandinavian Christmas gift and food trade show because I can't walk.

9. having to finally accept the fact that I'm not 26 any more and some things that I used to do routinely just aren't gonna happen any more.

10. not having an item 10 to complete this list....as if things weren't already out of balance!

 

CRAP!

 

OW!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya know Forty, (If it makes ya feel any better!) That sounds like something I'd do.

 

P.S.: I have crutches and a wheelchair here if ya want to borrow them.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sitting around waiting for my most recent surgery to heal up, I’ve gotten really bored!!

 

A couple of weeks ago, I sorted, counted, and boxed up all the stuff to make up 1,500 rounds of fresh ammo, 1,000 of  .45 Colt and 500 .45 acp.

 

It was part of straightening up the “gun room”, a project I’ve been putting off for a WHILE!  When I went to shelve the new reloads, the shelf broke loose from the back of the section.  I built these shelf sections over fifteen years ago and hadn’t really planned on having this much ammunition assembled at one time, but the plague and my own health issues changed that.

 

As a consequence, I had to completely unload the shelves and make the necessary repairs and reinforcements to handle the additional weight.  I was already committed to straightening up the room, but now I am faced with a nearly complete and total reorganization of the room and contents!!

 

At least, so far, I haven’t managed to accumulate any new injuries!!

 

Hope that toe heals quickly there, 1/8 Mile!!

 

 

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Ya know Forty, (If it makes ya feel any better!) That sounds like something I'd do.

 

P.S.: I have crutches and a wheelchair here if ya want to borrow them.

Thanks, but I already have my own, plus two roller strollers and a folding stroller for the car....and nine solid hardwood canes.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, why the hell is everything so damn heavy now? The crap we take to a couple days match weighs at least twice as much as a few years ago! And it's the same crap! Gun cart stays in the garage now during shooting season, it used be no issue dragging it up the cellar stairs from the gun room! It's gained weight too!:lol:

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yep, why the hell is everything so damn heavy now?:lol:

Yeah! A 50# bag of dog food advertises only 40#s these days, (with a bonus 5#),  but weighs more than when they WERE 50#. 

It was even worse when I was still working. a 50# box of welding rod got heavier and heavier over the 30 years I was delivering THEM!

Edited by Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad you weren’t hurt worse @Forty Rod SASS 3935

 

One of the reasons I mostly use plastic ammo cans vs metal now is I dropped a 50 cal. can half full of 9mm ammo on my left foot a couple of years ago. Luckily I didn’t break anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

DON'T GET OLD!

 

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

 

Read that on a tee shirt in a cafe a few weeks back.  It was funny then...not so much now.

 

True.

But I really don't care much for the alternative!

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Sounds ta me like yer brain didn't keep up in age wit yer body 4t.

:o

kR

Neither one is in great shape.  I was born in 1942 and they don't make parts for that model any more and the after market things are keeping me going.  Sometimes it's like trying to find sealed beam head lights, inner tubes, and vacuum tubes.  Sometimes the new stuff works, but not always as well the original parts.

 

Still, I'm planning my 102nd birthday party.  I want to be my high school class reunion all by myself.  :P

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Still, I'm planning my 102nd birthday party.  I want to be my high school class reunion all by myself.  :P

 

Good plan. That way you can have it anywhere you want!:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

 I want to be my high school class reunion all by myself.  :P

 

25 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

 

Good plan. That way you can have it anywhere you want!:D

And you probably won't have to worry about what anybody else has to say about anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was born in 1950, and was surprised to find they still make a few service parts for this model.
Cardiac arteries, hernia mesh, and the removal of dead and obsolete parts such as the prostate.
I'd druther be "sick" today, than "sick" 20 years ago.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yep, why the hell is everything so damn heavy now? The crap we take to a couple days match weighs at least twice as much as a few years ago! And it's the same crap! Gun cart stays in the garage now during shooting season, it used be no issue dragging it up the cellar stairs from the gun room! It's gained weight too!:lol:

Yeah, I bought a nice hard case that can handle both long guns and both revolvers. Only issue is that the case is now so dang heavy I am looking at going back to my 2 soft cases and the 1 small hard case for the revolvers. Will just use the hard case when traveling in the RV or needing to fly somewhere.  :-( 

 

TM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OW is right, that hurts to think about!

Marshal Mo Hare mentioned the toe nail.

If it starts to throb and you develop fluid under the toe nail, un-bend a paper clip, heat red hot and VERY LIGHTLY touch it to the toenail.

It'll melt a hole through the nail and let the pressure out.

Instant relief.

(Don't ask me how I know)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

Yeah, I bought a nice hard case that can handle both long guns and both revolvers. Only issue is that the case is now so dang heavy I am looking at going back to my 2 soft cases and the 1 small hard case for the revolvers. Will just use the hard case when traveling in the RV or needing to fly somewhere.  :-( 

 

TM

I bought a couple of Explorer tactical cases. The first one held to long guns and had 2 pockets, 1 padded for pistols. When Ellie started shooting I bought another just like it, except when it arrived it was setup for 4 long guns even though the description said 2. So, I put all 8 of our guns it and near got a hernia carrying it up from the basement! It is convenient in the back seat of the though, doesn't take up much room!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

I was born in 1950, and was surprised to find they still make a few service parts for this model.
Cardiac arteries, hernia mesh, and the removal of dead and obsolete parts such as the prostate.
I'd druther be "sick" today, than "sick" 20 years ago.

 

Friend of my had eye surgery a couple years ago. When he was doing the pre-op exam the Dr told him he was very very lucky he wasn't going to loose his vision in that eye. The technology needed to perform the procedure didn't exist a few years earlier.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

i have to take care of my back - a lot of care , so when i handle those boxes [50cal box of 9mm adds up] i only handle one at a time very carefully , no need to get hurt 

It sucks getting old but better than the alternative at this time. I am not ready to meet my Maker just yet unless it is his will. I am now living with 5 bulging discs in the lower back, L1 thru L5) and one is perforated (L3). I also have a cyst between L4 and L5 that gets irritated every once in awhile. I have had to make a lot of changes to keep the back from flaring up. I get pain shots about every 6 months to keep it under control. So take care because a painful back just isn't something I would wish on anyone.

 

TM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

It sucks getting old but better than the alternative at this time. I am not ready to meet my Maker just yet unless it is his will. I am now living with 5 bulging discs in the lower back, L1 thru L5) and one is perforated (L3). I also have a cyst between L4 and L5 that gets irritated every once in awhile. I have had to make a lot of changes to keep the back from flaring up. I get pain shots about every 6 months to keep it under control. So take care because a painful back just isn't something I would wish on anyone.

 

TM

you have a lot more than i do going on - mine smply goes out of place with slightest provocation [like putting on my sox] but im not dealing with the discs yet , i do sympathise as my daughter has just spent two days in the hospital [at 40] with bulging disc in L4/5 area so im well aware of what your going thru - she couldnt walk/get up off the floor , we have been helping out with grandkids and christmas decorating and such , 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

you have a lot more than i do going on - mine smply goes out of place with slightest provocation [like putting on my sox] but im not dealing with the discs yet , i do sympathise as my daughter has just spent two days in the hospital [at 40] with bulging disc in L4/5 area so im well aware of what your going thru - she couldnt walk/get up off the floor , we have been helping out with grandkids and christmas decorating and such , 

I wish her a speedy recovery. It isn't fun having back issues. The pain shots do help relieve a lot of the pain so I can move around.

 

TM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

I wish her a speedy recovery. It isn't fun having back issues. The pain shots do help relieve a lot of the pain so I can move around.

 

TM

glad to hear they can make it so you can move around , my daughter is up and moving yet not very well nor for very long yet , 

i have the advantage of a visit to the chiropractor or two will put me back in place and recovers in a few days time , normal in a week , if im careful i can make it a couple years till the next incident , im getting close - i can always tell as i start to get these sharp stabbing pains for an instant when i move just so - generally a few days till i do the dumb thing that puts it out , 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.