SASS Wire Forum

Military Meme's

PowderRiverCowboy

2 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

That time of year of Thank me for my service , but lets cancel The most Important Drinking fest of the Year The Marine Corps Birthday Ball  Has been canceled due to upcoming "operational demands "

395629726_717525000401765_451101566983333210_n.jpg

I think that was only one of the balls, Okinawa is still on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

With thanks and deepest appreciation for all who served:

I am one of those that never knows how to answer that "Thanks for your Service "  mainly I feel so many feel like they have to say It , I did my job , and I dont feel like I did anything special. I do miss the nights after a mission all BS'ing about whatever and the training . Wasnt a better thing than taking a basic group and working with them for a week in tactics of CQC and shoot house going from crawling and saying bang bang and explaining their reasoning to full speed live fire shoot houses .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I am one of those that never knows how to answer that "Thanks for your Service "  mainly I feel so many feel like they have to say It , I did my job , and I dont feel like I did anything special. I do miss the nights after a mission all BS'ing about whatever and the training . Wasnt a better thing than taking a basic group and working with them for a week in tactics of CQC and shoot house going from crawling and saying bang bang and explaining their reasoning to full speed live fire shoot houses .

34 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I usually say something like "I appreciate it." I feel the same way though. I was just doing a job that needed to be done.

Thing is, you stepped up and did it.  You willingly took on that low paying, dangerous, unappreciated job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

image.jpeg.3d24cdc4a2a227b1c98a6e9d7077d550.jpeg

image.jpeg.0fc8404ea0a86db10d303a05f6c3c675.jpeg

This one reminded me of a morning when we were all in formation and our Company Commander yelled out “Who here likes to party? Raise your right hand.” I stayed at parade rest. I was in the front so I couldn’t see who or how many raised their hand but I wasn’t dumb enough to do so.

”So, all you rocks that raised your hands form up over here to party…work party, that is.”

Half my company was marched away to unload trucks and set up chairs and tables in one of the old blimp hangers. 
Those of us that didn’t raise our hands thought we were gonna be Smokin’ and Cokin’. We were wrong. 
We field day’d the barracks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I think I want to expand on the meme I posted.

I was born in another country. And unlike the US, I was not a citizen of that country, I was a citizen of the country of my parents. But I could have applied for citizenship in my birth country.

At the age of 16, I (with parent's permission) I applied for citizenship in the United States. Unfortunately, the US did not approve my application before I turned 18 and I had to start over as an adult. I and my parents did come through the front door and did have green cards. I could have stayed here "forever" with my green card and had no need to apply to be a citizen. I chose to do so.

Eventually, my second application was approved. And the day after approval and swearing in as a citizen of this country, I did go down to the Post Office and registered for the draft. I had no desire to go to Vietnam, and saw those returning get spat on, and was deeply offended by this. I also had health problems (not really clear at the time) but did register fully aware I might get called up to serve and would have done so. 

That said, I did not volunteer. Nor would I have run for sanctuary in the north had I been called up. I would have served (at least until my not-clearly-identified medical issues disqualified me).

I could have run to Canada, I had more claim to do so than this who were born here and not there. I was born there. but Canada gave no birth right and this country did. And I chose of my own free will to adopt the philosophy of freedom and duty.

I did have a good career chasing foreign hackers around the Internet, keeping them out of any company I was working at, keeping our personal information private. But I did not go directly engage bad guys with arms.

For those who did serve, this is not a meme, I posted a meme  above. This post is to say again and proudly and from the bottom of my heart, Thank You!

Edited by John Kloehr
F Otto, this was not a post to intrude on
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Saw a woman in a t-shirt recently with the words "If you want to thank a service man or woman be the kind of American worth fighting for' printed on it.

The man with her wore one that read "Thanks for being the kind American that made it worthwhile."

Both of these fine folks were wearing matching Navy baseball caps.

I see a lot of that sort of thing at Sally B's. Jens, Backburner, and Zeke's Eatin' Place....and lots of other places around our town.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I usually say something like "I appreciate it." I feel the same way though. I was just doing a job that needed to be done.

Try: be a citizen worth serving for. Or: honor to serve. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Oh how I remember feeling like that for the first few months.

Thank God for good, experienced NCOs!

b94fa65b507f639cc817369cf8b15e0c.jpg

Oh, yes ... the most dangerous animal in the woods ... a green butter bar LT with a compass, a map and a Jeep!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

image.gif.c20a19b17b171fc36d2b80f2a8361b50.gif

Twice while I was in the Navy I was assigned 3 Midshipmen to use as I saw fit…I mean, assist in their Navy training. They were assigned for one week to my aft Mk 26 missile launcher. 
The first three were very industrious and I really didn’t give them sh** jobs, but I did assign them to duties I expected the Seamen to do. 
The second three were all little prima Donna a$$#oles. They thought they were above working under a mere E-5. The little corksorkers wouldn’t refer to me as a Gunners Mate or a Petty Officer. So, those 3 little dumbarses got to clean Missile Services. A compartment below the launcher where leaky hydraulic fluid and condensation drained to. The ventilation systems were down there. It was two compartments with a dividing bulkhead and open man doors. One side had all the sludge from years of no one cleaning it up. 
Cleaning it was the perfect tasks for my little Drugies. I wouldn’t have assigned if all 3 of them defied my orders and one said “You will respect my authority as a future Line Officer! You’re only an E-5 so we don’t have to listen to you.”

He/They were wrong. They spent 5 days cleaning that entire compartment and repainting it. 
Little bastages.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I tell people that serving in the military was the smartest decision I have ever made or ever will make. 

image.thumb.png.63f09be31c0fa32599e92dc2631b8b05.png

• Like 4