SASS Wire Forum

Object Identification

Subdeacon Joe

On a Mojave Desert FB group a guy posted a couple of photos.  All he knows about it is that his dad found it "south of Death Valley," maybe closer to Ridgecrest.  Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Screenshot_20231016-1019502.thumb.png.98ec0b0b928160e8d1905a45718961f0.png

Screenshot_20231016-1022392.thumb.png.76a2ef1333e43502fc2bfbf8ea3e086d.png

That cruciform guard really has me stumped.  I keep thinking that it's the head of some sort of pole arm.

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Looks like just a small knife to me. 

But from where and when?  A very interesting blade shape, Oriental or Middle Eastern is my guess, and the sort of double hand guard is very odd.

16 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

But from where and when?  A very interesting blade shape, Oriental or Middle Eastern is my guess, and the sort of double hand guard is very odd.

Yes that double hand guard is very odd, Oriental or Middle Eastern is a good guess.

Thinking some kind of spear head with an impaler stop.   Course, I've watched way too many vampire movies already this month.:unsure:

If not that...perhaps some weird piece of farming tool?

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks.  A term gives me a place to start.

Chinese pole arm similar to a spear or glaive.  Koreans call it a chang

1 minute ago, Texas Joker said:

Chinese pole arm similar to a spear or glaive.  Koreans call it a chang

Japanese called it a naginata. :D

Sort of a sword on a stick.  The blade portion is a bit short for that, but it's in the realm.  

20 minutes ago, watab kid said:

its a really cool looking relec , hope one og the leads above get you to an answer , please tell us what you find out , 

I'm just passing it on to the guy who posted in FB.  I'll keep checking there to see if he comes up with a definitive answer.  I'm inclined, since it sort of matches my original impression, to go with the Chinese pole arm theory.

If that is from the time of the Spaniards marching all over California looking for gold…uh, I mean, helping Priests bring the work of God to the heathens, that metal artifact would have been much larger. Probably at least twice as big. 

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm just passing it on to the guy who posted in FB.  I'll keep checking there to see if he comes up with a definitive answer.  I'm inclined, since it sort of matches my original impression, to go with the Chinese pole arm theory.

it does seem most likely at this juncture , but ive never seen that guard design before on anything else nor anything similar , is it made of iron ? 

9 minutes ago, watab kid said:

it does seem most likely at this juncture , but ive never seen that guard design before on anything else nor anything similar , is it made of iron ? 

He didn't say.  From the photos I would say it is iron rather than steel.

I agree, the guard is passing strange.  Almost like the guard on the blade side is meant to bind an opponents blade.

On 10/16/2023 at 11:21 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

He didn't say.  From the photos I would say it is iron rather than steel.

I agree, the guard is passing strange.  Almost like the guard on the blade side is meant to bind an opponents blade.

do keep us posted on what you might find out , i think its fascinating and i have no other ideas where to research at this time , 

I asked for any updates:

"
not as yet. Lots of speculation as to *what* it is. The desert area where found being such a remote, inhospitable place, how it got there is equally mysterious. It very well might take the resources and knowledgeable connections of university research dept. or a museum to offer answers. I'm inclined to let it go that direction over being a garage sale item when I die."

53 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I asked for any updates:

"
not as yet. Lots of speculation as to *what* it is. The desert area where found being such a remote, inhospitable place, how it got there is equally mysterious. It very well might take the resources and knowledgeable connections of university research dept. or a museum to offer answers. I'm inclined to let it go that direction over being a garage sale item when I die."

Given the length is probably between 8"-10" it's too small to be the metal part of a spear or pole arm and there is no hole in the middle for it to be a cross piece of a pole arm.  My guess it is a knife,.  It could very well be a one off design, which would make identifying it very difficult.  Or it could possibly have ceremonial or religious significance. 

If they could determine the approximate age of the item, that might narrow down what it could be.

Contacting the https://www.worcesterart.org/collection/higgins-collection/  might help.  IIRC they have the second largest collection of arms and armor in the US, with only the NY Metropolitan Art museum having a larger collection.   I suspect the Higgins Collection is more varied than the NY Met

9 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Given the length is probably between 8"-10" it's too small to be the metal part of a spear or pole arm and there is no hole in the middle for it to be a cross piece of a pole arm.  My guess it is a knife,.  It could very well be a one off design, which would make identifying it very difficult.  Or it could possibly have ceremonial or religious significance. 

If they could determine the approximate age of the item, that might narrow down what it could be.

Contacting the https://www.worcesterart.org/collection/higgins-collection/  might help.  IIRC they have the second largest collection of arms and armor in the US, with only the NY Metropolitan Art museum having a larger collection.   I suspect the Higgins Collection is more varied than the NY Met

Thanks, I'll pass this along.  He offered to post more photos after I mentioned that I took the liberty of posting the photos and the little information he had on a CAS forum.

3 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

Item looks like it is meant be mounted on a pole of some kind.

I am wondering if those metal “tabs” aren’t meant to be hammered (bent) into place around a shaft and an upper lance like extension and then anchored by wrapping the tabs and the shaft with leather or gut material. 

Hmm, maybe we've been looking at it wrong?   After reading Pat's comment I rotated the picture.  If we accept that whoever made it lacked the skills or tools to form a hole for the handle to go through, then maybe this is some form of weapon related to a tomahawk?

On edit:  I certainly don't claim be an expert on American Indian, Aztec or Inca weapons, but nothing I've read even hinted at pole arms being used by the American Indian, Aztec or Inca warriors:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_weaponry

image.jpeg.e86caed2962d837b5305771725f56688.jpeg

Archived