SASS Wire Forum

Leaking Wet Tumbler

Frontier Lone Rider

A couple of months ago I purchased a Frankfort Arsenal Wet Tumbler.  Today was the first time I tried to use the tumbler to clean some black powder brass.

When I took it into the kitchen to add water, the other end was leaking a steady stream.  I tried to tighten the end, but it still leaks.

Is it supposed to leak like this?

How can I stop the leaking?

Frontier Lone Rider

I found the gaskets and applied Dawn.  After tightening with the FART it did stop leaking.

I have the Frankfort Arsenal one and I put a dab of vaseline around the seal and tighten it as tight as I can get it and have never had any leaks on mine. Check the rubber gasket and make sure it is pliable and not brittle or a tear in it.

TM

My Frankfort Arsenal leaked too! I used 220 sand paper on a board and lightly sanded the ends of the drum to remove tiny burrs in the plastic, don't get aggressive! It still leaked! Coat the gaskets with soapy water before tightening the caps. FA makes what they call a FART wrench that gives more leverage, no leaks now. Just a small pain to loosen as there isn't a really good place to hold the drum, but it's doable. Good Luck

EH

I don't remember seeing any gasket?  I will have to check next week when I am back in town.

I did buy a FART but have not tried using it yet.

It appears I will need to do a little sanding to make the surfaces meet.

I have a FA unit and it has a gasket.  I use a dab of whatever soap I'm using to clean with (Dawn or Meguire's car wash with wax) on both sides of the gasket prior to sealing the lid.  Using this method, I don't have to crank down the lid and it doesn't leak.

On 9/28/2023 at 7:08 PM, Chief Rick said:

I have a FA unit and it has a gasket.  I use a dab of whatever soap I'm using to clean with (Dawn or Meguire's car wash with wax) on both sides of the gasket prior to sealing the lid.  Using this method, I don't have to crank down the lid and it doesn't leak.

Good advise.  If using a petroleum product such as Vaseline, it will quickly deteriorate any rubber gasket quickly, instead use a silicone-base lubricant or like what's mention above (soap like Dawn).  

On 9/28/2023 at 7:08 PM, Chief Rick said:

I put a small amount of Dawn on my fingers and wipe it around both sides of the rubber gasket.  No problem with leaks.  I just ran two loads this morning.  

I put a valve in the lid of my FA to bleed air upon tightening then open valve to loosen

Mine leaked to your compressing air makes it harder to tighten 

On 9/28/2023 at 6:08 PM, Chief Rick said:

This 

17 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

Good advise.  If using a petroleum product such as Vaseline, it will quickly deteriorate any rubber gasket quickly, instead use a silicone-base lubricant or like what's mention above (soap like Dawn).  

Nice to know. I will change over to the soap and leave the vaseline in the bathroom. LOL

TM

15 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

There has to be a gasket.

Maybe why it is leaking. LOL 

TM

I tumbled some very dirty 44-4o brass which had held black powder.  As some have advised, I used the stainless-steel pins, what a hassle.  

The brass wasn't any cleaner than when I dry tumbled.  Plus, I kept finding pins on the floor, in the driveway, and inside of the brass.  Thank goodness I also had purchased the magnet.

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th run I used only the Dawn and Lemon Shine.  Each time the brass appears to be brighter.  I ran two loads of 38Spl brass and they look brand new.  I guess I can use the stainless-steel pins as a paper weight.

The rubber gaskets have to be wet.  Some soap, or a bit of lube will help.  Then tighten the cap as far as you can make it go.  I use a huge metal adjustable C- Clamp.  It gives you extra oompfh!   Same thing with the other end.  I use Brass Juice, Strat-o-Sheen, and the pins.  I set it on 3 hours and go mow the lawn.  Dump it in a media separator, then dry the brass.  Done

• 1 month later...

I sanded the ends smooth and use dawn on the gaskets prior to tightening, it no longer leaks.  I use the FART Blue Wrench to tighten the cap.  I tap it a couple of times with a hammer, no more leaks.  I probably should use a mallet instead of a hammer, which I will in the future.

The tumbler works really well on smokeless brass.

9 minutes ago, Scrub Oak Willie 53737 said:

Called FA to get some spare gaskets, they don't sell spare parts for their tumblers . Never heard of a company that doesn't sell parts for their products.

Willie

FS Reloading sells them. It's part # FR-1025177 for $2.99 

My experience with leaks has been different. I’ve found that if gasket is wet, especially soapy, fluid will entrain out. Also, lid needs to be snug but not overtightened. 

As usual, when you try to find out where on the "world wide web" a product that is sold in the US is made, you usually get stonewalled.  

Look on the box or on the item.  If it's "made" outside of the US it has to have the country of origin somewhere.  Outside of US, contact importers 

of brand.  Probably won't get any help, but worth a try.

Wow, you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill!!

How hard is it to put a little dawn or something similar on the rubber ring and snug it up!

The Frankford Arsenal wet tumblers are the best small wet tumbler for sale today!!!!

16 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Sounds like don't buy Frankford Arsenal wet tumblers!!!!!  Buy a different brand that has positive reviews!!!!

Your loss, they are one of the best out there and when properly used they do what they are intended to do.

TM

I have the Lyman Cyclone Wet Tumbler (love it) it can leak as well, I have to screw the lid on with just the right pressure, not enough will obviously leak, but gorilla tight will distort the silicone gasket to cause a leak as well.

This is all pretty amazing. I just called Frankford Arsenal, talked to their support folks asking for 2 gaskets for my tumbler.  They had them in stock and I will have them Friday or Saturday - no charge.  This is the 2nd time I have requested them and the 2nd time I have received excellent support and service. 

Leaking is caused by a number of things.
- too much brass in the tumbler

- not cleaning grit etc off of sealing surfaces and rubber seals before closing 

- not tightening caps enough

- tightening too much

The best thing you can do is get your self a F.A.R.T. Wrench off ebay - just search for FART WRENCH. (Really!)

1 minute ago, Too Tall Bob said:

This is all pretty amazing. I just called Frankford Arsenal, talked to their support folks asking for 2 gaskets for my tumbler.  They had them in stock and I will have them Friday or Saturday - no charge.  This is the 2nd time I have requested them and the 2nd time I have received excellent support and service. 

And there you have the other side of the story...

Thanks for let folks know about your positive experience with FA.

Phantom

On 9/28/2023 at 5:59 PM, Texas Maverick said:

I have the Frankfort Arsenal one and I put a dab of vaseline around the seal and tighten it as tight as I can get it and have never had any leaks on mine. Check the rubber gasket and make sure it is pliable and not brittle or a tear in it.

TM

I do the same thing but after a while the diameters of the seal starts growing. 

18 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And there you have the other side of the story...

Thanks for let folks know about your positive experience with FA.

Phantom

That actually worked once for me too. Now seems I got a JA that told me I needed to buy the drum assembly to get new seals. Not happening. 

2 minutes ago, Wild Hair Larry said:

That actually worked once for me too. Now seems I got a JA that told me I needed to buy the drum assembly to get new seals. Not happening. 

My response would be to kindly ask to speak to a Supervisor.

Some folks are mistaken...people on the other end of the phone aren't necessarily trying to be...JA's...they are just mistaken.

Folks need to stop expecting everyone to be perfect...like themselves...

Cheers!
Phantom

Archived